Cell phone culture

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Tellamugalie said:

I feel old for saying this ... but society in Australia is making cell phones a need rather than a want. With QR codes to order and check in for flights and even to use as a credit card, Banking apps, parking apps just to name a few. Without sounding too much like a guy holding a sign standing in the middle of the business district saying "the end is nigh".

I think mobile phones are controlling the attention of the majority of the population, if your device takes up 5 hours of a day then what is more precious than time, how much is that worth. 

I remember reading a quote that "the items you own end up owning you". 

I feel this quote is an apt description of the humble cell phone.

At least here in the Philippines they are still a convenience for the things you mention rather than a necessity - same for the UK.  I'm sure the day will come when there will be no option but to use but we're far from that, at least here in the Philippines.  I think in some parts of China they're already there.  

With an 11-year old son I try to be open minded about devices and screen time - I remember the days when I'd sit in front of the TV for hours on end! 

• Like 3

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

At least here in the Philippines they are still a convenience for the things you mention rather than a necessity - same for the UK.  I'm sure the day will come when there will be no option but to use but we're far from that, at least here in the Philippines.  I think in some parts of China they're already there.  

With an 11-year old son I try to be open minded about devices and screen time - I remember the days when I'd sit in front of the TV for hours on end! 

And before the TVs it was endless hours next to the radio, before that you were waiting on the hot off the press papers..:89:

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
17 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

And before the TVs it was endless hours next to the radio, before that you were waiting on the hot off the press papers..:89:

Before my time! :tongue:

• Haha 2

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2023 at 7:44 PM, MotorSarge said:

As a child I remember sitting with family in the evening listening to the radio show "The Shadow".  When we finally got a TV, I loved watching "The Little Rascals".:thumbsup:

• Like 2

Tellamugalie
Posted
Posted

I remember reading somewhere some time ago.

Imagine travelling back in time to Ancient Greece and explaining to the philosophers of the time that one day mankind would create a device that contained the entirety of human knowledge, and that this device would fit in the palm of your hand. 

Not only that, but it would also be a means to connect all people of all countries of the world.

And as they sit back and ponder this wonder you then say.

Yet man would use this font of all wisdom to look at boobs and watch funny videos about cats.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
50 minutes ago, Mike J said:

As a child I remember sitting with family in the evening listening to the radio show "The Shadow".  When we finally got a TV, I loved watching "The Little Rascals".:thumbsup:

I can only go back to the early 60s memories.

Small black and white tv, 3 channels came on around 0700 off around 2230 and about 30 mins of news & weather.

(news was not political back then.... they just reported what was happening at the time)

3 Stooges & The Little Rascals before going to school in the morns.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

I can only go back to the early 60s memories.

Small black and white tv, 3 channels came on around 0700 off around 2230 and about 30 mins of news & weather.

(news was not political back then.... they just reported what was happening at the time)

3 Stooges & The Little Rascals before going to school in the morns.

I also remember the Apollo Missions....getting dusty..

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

I sure do miss that.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
On 9/27/2023 at 6:20 PM, hk blues said:

At least here in the Philippines they are still a convenience for the things you mention rather than a necessity -

Ha Ha tell that to my partner.

• Haha 1