Philipino pride.

Viking
Posted
Posted

Pride is something we all know is very important in the Philippines, but can you explain to me then, why so many men in the Philippines have no problem at all, being at home, doing nothing and let their wives or children provide for their needs?

I have seen this a lot in our area.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Math..... Laziness is the inverse function of pride.

• Haha 1

Possum
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Old55 said:

Years ago I asked a guy I knew how he reconciled his wife being the bread winner as a prostitute. He said she can get a job easier then him and makes more money. Plus she is off during the day to take care of the children. I couldn't argue with his logic, just a different mindset.

• Haha 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Viking said:

Pride is something we all know is very important in the Philippines, but can you explain to me then, why so many men in the Philippines have no problem at all, being at home, doing nothing and let their wives or children provide for their needs

They're proud that their wife can work while they rest.

• Haha 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Old55 said:

Laziness and pride is abundant in the country, but it is strange that they can be both at the same time, hahaha.

2 hours ago, Possum said:

Years ago I asked a guy I knew how he reconciled his wife being the bread winner as a prostitute. He said she can get a job easier then him and makes more money. Plus she is off during the day to take care of the children. I couldn't argue with his logic, just a different mindset.

It certainly is a different mindset, 😂. I just don't understand why the women accept this behavior?

40 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

They're proud that their wife can work while they rest.

It's not hard to be proud in the Philippines 😂

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

When you are born into this type of daily barrio atmosphere and grow into a child, teenager to adult it becomes the "norm".

For most there is no escape into what others see as a different "norm". 

• Like 2

jimeve
Posted
Posted

They take pride playing with their,  hmm Chickens.

• Like 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm not exactly sure how this us related buy it somehow seems to be -

We were watching an edition of the Asian Masterchef with contestants from different Asian countries - one was a Filipino. He was knocked out in the early rounds and as he left the kitchen he shouted something to the effect of Go Philippines or similar - not in an aggessive or angry way. None of the other contestants had done such a thing either before or after. 

As a viewer I was embarrassed for him to be honest. It was such a show of national pride in a wholly inappropriate setting.

I suppose this male laziness culture is more prevalent in the Latin-type cultures and coupled with the fact many here simply aim to cover basic needs for day-to-day life it's easy to see how the wife who can get work more easily perhaps, or at least more easier work, picks up the breadwinner role. The idea of both working and having an easier life just doesn't gain traction.  

I wonder if that is also a side-effect of the family culture where anyone with money gives to those who don't I.e. why work hard to give any spare money to your lazy brother/sister for sitting on their ass Facebooking all day?

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

When you are born into this type of daily barrio atmosphere and grow into a child, teenager to adult it becomes the "norm".

For most there is no escape into what others see as a different "norm". 

I don't agree with this. There are lots of lazy men in the Philippines but to be fair, most of them are not. That makes it even stranger to me because if all were lazy, it would be easier to understand, but that's not the case.

• Like 3

Lee
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

I wonder if that is also a side-effect of the family culture where anyone with money gives to those who don't I.e. why work hard to give any spare money to your lazy brother/sister for sitting on their ass Facebooking all day?

Couldn't agree more.

To stop this behavior simply quit coughing up cash to the family layabouts.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic