Philipino pride.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Viking said:

I don't agree with this. There are lots of lazy men in the Philippines but to be fair, most of them are not. That makes it even stranger to me because if all were lazy, it would be easier to understand, but that's not the case.

You are not them, and not born in that cultural mindset.

I agree to disagree.....Lots of Lazy Men MoFos in all countries.

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, jimeve said:

They take pride playing with their,  hmm Chickens.

And you take pride playing with what?

jimeve
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

And you take pride playing with what?

Chickens. :whatever:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
21 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

It would be interesting if a psychologist did a proper study on the mindest here.

Almost 20 years ago I ordered and read the book "Culture Shock Philippines" prior to my first visit to the Philippines.  I still recommend it to expats who are having trouble relating to locals.  Available from Amazon in Kindle format, not sure if you can find it in print.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Mike J said:

Almost 20 years ago I ordered and read the book "Culture Shock Philippines" prior to my first visit to the Philippines.  I still recommend it to expats who are having trouble relating to locals.  Available from Amazon in Kindle format, not sure if you can find it in print.  

It was a good introductory cultural framework. I also ordered and read it 20+ years ago, along with its companion volumes on Indonesia and perhaps Thailand or Malaysia. From  the age of 20 till 48 I lived and worked with the Inuit, took courses in cultural and language, and I realized that other groups do NOT necessarily think or view the world like westerners, and it is important to attempt to understand how they perceive things, often quite differently. They are rational oftentimes, given their situations and lifestyles, when we are blind to it.

For what its worth. When you live cross-culturally, its perilous not to consider their operational frameworks.

• Like 5

Lee
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Mike J said:

Almost 20 years ago I ordered and read the book "Culture Shock Philippines" prior to my first visit to the Philippines.

This book in paperback form is available on Amazon for $13.

cul.webp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
24 minutes ago, Lee said:

This book in paperback form is available on Amazon for $13.

cul.webp

I think most of, if not more of whatever info is in that paperback is probably located right here on this website??

I do enjoy flipping through and tabbing paperbacks more than searching on e-media.

Guess that just puts a date on me..:biggrin:

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
On 10/16/2023 at 8:17 AM, Snowy79 said:

The pride also extends to areas that most in the West would probably laugh at.

And vice versa; Filipinos are proud to be Filipino, and Catholic.

On 10/16/2023 at 9:01 AM, Lee said:

they move back in with mom and dad. They offer little in financial aid---some refuse to work doing anything--- and then expect their parents to feed, clothe, and babysit their kids.

That would fall under "Family", in their "God Country Family" culture. The family isn't just expected to care for each other, they do care for each other. Parents to children, children to parents, I wouldn't say it's something they're necessarily proud of because it's just part of their culture, but it should be.

• Like 1

Cola Cubes
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Kingpin said:

And vice versa; Filipinos are proud to be Filipino, and Catholic.

That would fall under "Family", in their "God Country Family" culture. The family isn't just expected to care for each other, they do care for each other. Parents to children, children to parents, I wouldn't say it's something they're necessarily proud of because it's just part of their culture, but it should be.

A Family Culture?  Not at all.   A family culture would be one where everyone tries to carry the collective weight of the family, to the best of their ability. 

What the PH has is a toxic, abusive, parasitic "family culture", where the income earner is strongly obligated to support the useless.   The "family culture" here is a weapon to be used by the parasitic to enable them to feed off the bread winner.  It is utterly shameful.

Over the years I have tried to encourage staff to "drop" the family parasites that feed off them.  To no avail of course.  The societal pressures upon them are too strong. The emotional blackmail they are subjected to is sickening.

• Like 1

Clermont
Posted
Posted
16 minutes ago, Cola Cubes said:

A Family Culture?  Not at all.   A family culture would be one where everyone tries to carry the collective weight of the family, to the best of their ability. 

What the PH has is a toxic, abusive, parasitic "family culture", where the income earner is strongly obligated to support the useless.   The "family culture" here is a weapon to be used by the parasitic to enable them to feed off the bread winner.  It is utterly shameful.

Over the years I have tried to encourage staff to "drop" the family parasites that feed off them.  To no avail of course.  The societal pressures upon them are too strong. The emotional blackmail they are subjected to is sickening.

RANT

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic