Philipino pride.

Lee
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, BrettGC said:

Many here seem to be under the mistaken impression that poverty is a choice

Poverty is often the result of poor choices----quitting school in the 5th grade----pregnant at the age of 16----just citing a few examples from my wifes family.

This happens so often in the barrio that its considered the norm not the exception that one might think.

• Like 3
  • Love it 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

but this forum has always run differently

You are absolutely right and my apologies to the 'entire' forum.   After reading how much America sucks every other time I opened the forum brought out the immature side of me, and I responded in a manner that I should not have.  My reply does not do anybody any good, nor does it lend to a civil, helpful forum.  So once again, my apologies!!!   Cheers all

• Like 5
  • Hmm thinking 1

MikeB
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Lee said:

Poverty is often the result of poor choices----quitting school in the 5th grade----pregnant at the age of 16-

Quitting school is not necessarily a choice when one parent runs off and there's no one else available to put food on table. Lack of sex education and myriad social, cultural and religious factors are all a part of why the Philippines has the highest number of teen pregnancies in the ASEAN so is it really a "choice"? In my wife's family there are a few instances of pregnancies a lot younger than 16. Children having children, on and on.

• Like 4

Lee
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, MikeB said:

Quitting school is not necessarily a choice when one parent runs off

My wifes two brothers quit school  because they didn't like their teacher. He insisted that they refrain from talking in class. This was too much to ask I suppose so they left. Both of them are in their 50's now with the younger one being illiterate.

1 hour ago, MikeB said:

Lack of sex education and myriad social, cultural and religious factors are all a part of why the Philippines has the highest number of teen pregnancies in the ASEAN so is it really a "choice"?

Abstinence is a choice that works every time. IMO the myriad of factors that you listed are simply excuses for bad behavior.

• Love it 1

Cola Cubes
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

Where I live I don't see any laziness. I see people with heavy cans of ice and some sort of drink on their shoulders just trying to make a few pesos from what they sell.

I see plenty of laziness. 
When the government gives out benefits - people stop working. 
When the Red Cross gives out free rice - people stop working.
Sounds irrational to us, but it is what they do.  

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)

All this talk of Filipino culture seems to be from the prism of our own culture and upbringing. This is not a fair comparison. Those born to wealth and privilege, sent to the best private schools and admitted to the best universities by way of nepotisim also look upon most of us a resource but lacking of "proper" values and social standing. Personally I consider myself a lottery winner. I won the lucky sperm and egg lottery. Getting a proper education and having a work ethic was not expected but demanded by my parents. I was expected to behave in a certain way also but that's another story. In my travels and work around the world I found that a major difference in how cultures develop has to do with education. Left to their own devices many cultures opt for expedience instead of the future. Education takes a long time to pay rewards. If you're hungry today and your kid can go make a few pesos to  help pay for some food instead  of going to school you'd opt for the food. Hunger is a great immediate motivator. Teen pregnancy is a multifaceted issue with education being a part. Though religious the church here from all appearances doesn't seem to be making a big issue of this problem.

Leadership in education would make a huge difference but it takes a farsighted government to demand this. I spent some time in Cuba and though I would not recommend their government as a model I will say they are an educated people. Why? Well, if you are a student there you are required to get 12 years of education. If you decide to drop out or your family doesn't insist you go to school you will get a visit from a government official. They will explain to you that you can continue to live at home and go to school or you can be remanded to a compound with people just like yourself and be marched to school every day until you finish your education. Last I heard Cuba has a 99+% literacy rate. 

Filipinos have a reason to be proud. Even with all the disadvantages some born to poor families seem to occasionally get lucky. For every dead beat useless person I know here I know another who was born into poverty but thru parental sacrifice and their own determination managed to better themselves. They had a much harder route to success than this sperm and egg lottery winner.

I have a secret wish that reincarnation is true and the most judgemental are reborn into the a situation that they judged most harshly. :cryingwhilelaughing_anim:

Edited by Possum
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Cola Cubes said:

I see plenty of laziness. 
When the government gives out benefits - people stop working.

True but we're talking about the Philippines, where that doesn't happen.

• Like 1

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic