Philipino pride.

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Cola Cubes said:

I am talking about grown adults.

I'm talking about the income earner, who was supported by his or her family when he or she was young. You don't understand the expectation in the Philippines that the earner return that support because family isn't a priority in the West anymore, to its detriment.

Edited by Kingpin
  • Like 2

fillipino_wannabe
Posted
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

I'm talking about the income earner, who was supported by his or her family when he or she was young. You don't understand the expectation in the Philippines that the earner return that support because family isn't a priority in the West anymore, to its detriment.

Not sure why you think treating your kids like your retirement fund is a good thing to be honest. I don't think many Filipinos are fond of it either, there's a good thread on reddit about it here:

'This is an outdated concept that still lingers to this day. Let me remind everyone: it was YOUR choice to have a family! Don't treat your children like investments in the hopes of lifting yourselves out of your current economic situation. Future generations already have too much to worry about, so please don't burden your children with the "obligation" of taking care of you. Love your children and help them grow, so that your children won't have any long lasting resentment to you even after you're gone. I'd rather die poor and miserable, but see my children succeed in life.'

Edited by fillipino_wannabe
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Not sure why you think treating your kids like your retirement fund is a good thing to be honest.

Thanks for the Western opinion, where it's not family who is expected to provide, it's government. I know which society I'd rather live in.

• Like 5

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
43 minutes ago, Kingpin said:

Thanks for the Western opinion, where it's not family who is expected to provide, it's government. I know which society I'd rather live in.

Kingpin. Chill out please.

Everyone in this forum is entitled to their opinion without your judgments. 

• Like 1

Lee1154
Posted
Posted
19 hours ago, Cola Cubes said:

A Family Culture?  Not at all.   A family culture would be one where everyone tries to carry the collective weight of the family, to the best of their ability. 

What the PH has is a toxic, abusive, parasitic "family culture", where the income earner is strongly obligated to support the useless.   The "family culture" here is a weapon to be used by the parasitic to enable them to feed off the bread winner.  It is utterly shameful.

Over the years I have tried to encourage staff to "drop" the family parasites that feed off them.  To no avail of course.  The societal pressures upon them are too strong. The emotional blackmail they are subjected to is sickening.

Amen and Amen.  I could not agree more.  Let the useless bums go hungry.

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, fillipino_wannabe said:

Not sure why you think treating your kids like your retirement fund is a good thing to be honest. I don't think many Filipinos are fond of it either, there's a good thread on reddit about it here:

Perhaps this is adding gas to the fire and possibly we should either hide or split this conversation. I will rely on another mod to judge this:

I spent several years living in Fiji periodically. The family who owned the land where I anchored my yacht told me their version of life. With them, they decide to have many children with the expectation that those kids will eventually grow up and support their parents. So the parents pay for their schooling, books, etc. with that future expectation in mind. In their thinking, the government will not support them so the kids are - in a sense - their social security. These are the exact words they used.  They told me that this is the normal in Fiji.

Just one example to illustrate alternatives to the welfare state.....

• Like 5

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Old55 said:

your judgments. 

No judgements here, just replying how perspectives can be biased.

8 minutes ago, Tommy T. said:

they decide to have many children with the expectation that those kids will eventually grow up and support their parents. So the parents pay for their schooling, books, etc. with that future expectation in mind. In their thinking, the government will not support them so the kids are - in a sense - their social security. These are the exact words they used.  They told me that this is the normal in Fiji.

Well said, one might even conclude the welfare state only damages the family structure...

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

An alternative by choice or by necessity, Tommy i.e. do they have to come up with an alternative support mechanism because there is no government system in place or do they prefer it that way?

• Like 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Joey G said:

My grandparents were immigrants (from Europe)...  family has always been priority, still is.

Still is? I'd ask how many kids your grandparents had, compared to how many you or your own kids have, but I think we already know the answer isn't comparable. I wasn't speaking anecdotally though, Western culture in general has been declining for over half a century.

Edited by Kingpin

• Jollygoodfellow locked this topic