Moving to the Philippines

stevewool
Posted
Posted

I’m feed up of all the crap living here in England and being part of the western world with what’s happening , I try not to watch to much news , I don’t read newspapers and it’s getting to the stage where I will stop voting in the general elections , everybody seems to hate each other and the minority seems to be having there way over the majority, if you give your opinion and it’s not what they like you are called out to be hateful, but they can give the opinion, all this gender stuff it’s beyond me where I’m from we call everyone  love or duck and even me mon so now the government in waiting are saying if you miss gender someone in the future you could be jailed, even though the jails are full so what chance have I got calling someone ducky who’s not a duck then being arrested.

Anyway this is where the Philippines comes into it , I can’t understand most of the language , can’t understand the tv , can’t vote for anything , and if we have enough funds to live well , rent a nice place , buy a car , travel to different places and hopefully just enjoy life doing what we want when we want too.

I know there’s going to be stress sometimes like driving and other things , but the last few times we was over in the Philippines the wife congratulated me on driving as I never swore or got angry while out driving , here in England I seem to have tourette syndrome every time I’m driving the car , I have read many things on here about how bad it can be like partying all hours , to much bass music , not the right food and on it goes , I’m sure I’ve mist out loads but someone will come along and remind me .

So am I jumping from the frying pan into the fire as they say , what are your views plus any new members making the move for what ever reason , by the way our house here in England will be rented out while we are travelling 

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Hmm thinking 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
42 minutes ago, stevewool said:

I can’t understand most of the language

Language isn't an issue, English is everywhere. My advice is rent the biggest house in the biggest subdivision you can, then you'll rarely have to worry about the single worst aspect of the Philippines; traffic.

• Like 2

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Your feelings seem quite normal and common among us older folks these days, Steve, and ubiquitously noted by many.

I think it comes down to either choosing your poison.... or doing what we've always done when dealing with our current problem set when living life anywhere.... finding solutions, mitigations or higher tolerance levels.

I follow local and global geopolitics, but don't emotionally engage in it. It seems an exercise in masochism for the many. One of the things I like about living in the PI is that you can often swap out many of your problem sets. You get new ones in the PI, but they seem to be much less relentless and more manageable for many. 

Good thing that you had an immersion trial run here, and have ideas on what to avoid and how to do things differently so you find greater contentment when you return. Best wishes, and thanks for all the pictures you posted here.

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Language isn't an issue, English is everywhere. My advice is rent the biggest house in the biggest subdivision you can, then you'll rarely have to worry about the single worst aspect of the Philippines; traffic.

Thanks for the advice , my budget will not stretch to a big house , but as there is only the two of us why pay extra for space you won’t use ,plus it’s a open invitation to the family to visit if there’s spare bedrooms , yes the traffic is bad but what can you do about that just join the queue and smile 

• Like 2

stevewool
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'll tell it as I see it, Steve...

I think you're experiencing a dose of the grass is always greener - and remember it rarely is. 

Maybe , maybe not , just looking for a change plus if it don’t work out we can always come back or go somewhere else 

• Like 1

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted

Stevewool, I echo your whole paragraph, very much the same reason we are making the move.

Trust me, you think England is bad, the US is the breeding grounds.

George Carlin does not have enough words to express how I feel about what has been going on here in the U.S.A.rmpit of the world.  

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
13 minutes ago, MotorSarge said:

Trust me, you think England is bad, the US is the breeding grounds.

Honestly, the anti-Israel protests are very scary and some of Europe is losing control to immigrants.  The sh*t is hitting the fan in many places.  History is repeating and it could get uglier.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, stevewool said:

the traffic is bad but what can you do about that

Stay home more, that's where the extra space and a large subdivision comes in. In the city you don't even need a car since you can just order a Grab, and you don't need to go out for food because there's apps for that too. Not sure Liloan is there yet but those would be what I'd check first.

2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Honestly, the anti-Israel protests are very scary and some of Europe is losing control to immigrants. 

Can't argue with that, both sides of these protests are outsiders.

Edited by Kingpin
  • Like 2