Moving to the Philippines

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Kingpin said:

My advice is rent the biggest house in the biggest subdivision you can,

Any comfortable size house in a well gated & guarded subdivision is the way to go.

• Like 4

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, hk blues said:

I'll tell it as I see it, Steve...

I think you're experiencing a dose of the grass is always greener - and remember it rarely is. 

great response to the post, just different shades of green over here. 

Edited by craftbeerlover
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

RBM
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Language isn't an issue, English is everywhere. My advice is rent the biggest house in the biggest subdivision you can, then you'll rarely have to worry about the single worst aspect of the Philippines; traffic.

We once built a house in a flash sub division, thinking peace and quiet. Quite the opposite as the maids  and helpers of neighbours made life hell with their disco music all day.. Even the most tactful approach to the owners was to no avail, they simply would not accept what we said.

We once retaliated by playing loud opra music which resulted in rocks being thrown on our roof in the early hours. So its not always picture perfect in the sub divisions.... 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Kingpin
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, RBM said:

its not always picture perfect in the sub divisions.... 

There are levels of subdivisions, generally the bigger the better, same as houses/lots, not just for the space but also the distance between you and any potential noise.

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, stevewool said:

Maybe , maybe not , just looking for a change plus if it don’t work out we can always come back or go somewhere else 

Sure...just think back to the issues you may or may not have had when you were here before and not much will have changed - in fact due to the economic changes things are probably worse than back then.  That past experience is your barometer.  Maybe there are better options out there that you haven't tried?

• Like 4

stevewool
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Kingpin said:

Stay home more, that's where the extra space and a large subdivision comes in. In the city you don't even need a car since you can just order a Grab, and you don't need to go out for food because there's apps for that too. Not sure Liloan is there yet but those would be what I'd check first.

As we are planing on visiting many places and renting for how ever long we want to stay in that place , we don’t require a large home 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Snowy79 said:

great place from 25k to 180k

that is quite the range for "Great", can you elaborate a little more on that?

• Like 1

justdavid
Posted
Posted
On 10/19/2023 at 4:02 PM, stevewool said:

I’m feed up of all the crap living here in England and being part of the western world with what’s happening , I try not to watch to much news , I don’t read newspapers and it’s getting to the stage where I will stop voting in the general elections , everybody seems to hate each other and the minority seems to be having there way over the majority, if you give your opinion and it’s not what they like you are called out to be hateful, but they can give the opinion, all this gender stuff it’s beyond me where I’m from we call everyone  love or duck and even me mon so now the government in waiting are saying if you miss gender someone in the future you could be jailed, even though the jails are full so what chance have I got calling someone ducky who’s not a duck then being arrested.

Anyway this is where the Philippines comes into it , I can’t understand most of the language , can’t understand the tv , can’t vote for anything , and if we have enough funds to live well , rent a nice place , buy a car , travel to different places and hopefully just enjoy life doing what we want when we want too.

I know there’s going to be stress sometimes like driving and other things , but the last few times we was over in the Philippines the wife congratulated me on driving as I never swore or got angry while out driving , here in England I seem to have tourette syndrome every time I’m driving the car , I have read many things on here about how bad it can be like partying all hours , to much bass music , not the right food and on it goes , I’m sure I’ve mist out loads but someone will come along and remind me .

So am I jumping from the frying pan into the fire as they say , what are your views plus any new members making the move for what ever reason , by the way our house here in England will be rented out while we are travelling 

I can understand your frustration with the situation in England. It seems like you’re not happy with the politics, the culture, and the lifestyle there. I’m sorry to hear that.

I think the Philippines is a great choice for expatriation. It’s a beautiful country with friendly people, low cost of living, and lots of opportunities for travel and adventure. You can enjoy the tropical climate, the stunning beaches, and the rich culture and history

Of course, living in the Philippines also has its challenges. You’ll have to deal with the language barrier, the traffic, the safety issues, and the bureaucracy. You’ll also have to adjust to a different way of life, with different customs, values, and norms.

• Like 3