Moving to the Philippines

MotorSarge
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

I will sometimes say; "You look very nice in your uniform".  That is when I am shopping by myself of course. :whistling:

Haha....Mike J....That is what I often say....but me Asawa knows me likewise.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
16 hours ago, stevewool said:

Once you start to live more like the middle-class here you are probably going to spend as much if not more than you would in the UK

I would disagree with this somewhat as the middle class does not earn near enough to "spend" in that type of volume.  Still looking at not much more than 10 - 15k a month for rent.   If you want to live like the high income to "rich" categories, then your costs would be comparable.   Of course this is location dependent.   The high end of the scale would be in the more expensive ares e.g. NCR and Maybe Cebu, where the higher salary equals much higher rent.  I dont know about the UK, but it would be hard to rent an Apt or a house for the total monthly income of the middle class in the US.

Income classification
Monthly income
Rich
At least ₱182,000 and up
High income (but not rich)
Between ₱109,200 to ₱182,000
Upper middle income
Between ₱63,700 to ₱109,200
Middle class
Between ₱36,400 to ₱63,700
Lower middle class
Between ₱18,200 to ₱36,400
Low income (but not poor)
Between ₱9,100 to ₱18,200
Poor
Less than ₱9,100

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, MotorSarge said:

I always go to the female guard (bag checker since she never has the shotgun).

Me Asawa always states "Daddy that is for girls & women only".

Did she check your pants for weapons, with her stick?  :hystery:  Some of our malls have some very attractive security guards!

Side note.  We have neighborhood security and they just changed agencies a few weeks ago.  The new security, especially the females, snap to attention, stiff as a rod, and smartly salute every time I drive by.  The old ones did this sometimes, but more casually.  The new ones must think I am a general! :hystery:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, OnMyWay said:

The new ones must think I am a general! :hystery:

Or Santa. Christmas is nearly here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
18 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Or Santa. Christmas is nearly here.

Bad Santa - Rotten Tomatoes

• Haha 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

I would disagree with this somewhat as the middle class does not earn near enough to "spend" in that type of volume.  Still looking at not much more than 10 - 15k a month for rent.   If you want to live like the high income to "rich" categories, then your costs would be comparable.   Of course this is location dependent.   The high end of the scale would be in the more expensive ares e.g. NCR and Maybe Cebu, where the higher salary equals much higher rent.  I dont know about the UK, but it would be hard to rent an Apt or a house for the total monthly income of the middle class in the US.

Income classification
Monthly income
Rich
At least ₱182,000 and up
High income (but not rich)
Between ₱109,200 to ₱182,000
Upper middle income
Between ₱63,700 to ₱109,200
Middle class
Between ₱36,400 to ₱63,700
Lower middle class
Between ₱18,200 to ₱36,400
Low income (but not poor)
Between ₱9,100 to ₱18,200
Poor
Less than ₱9,100

There is a terminology difference - my middle class definition would be based on a professional i.e. bank manager, doctor, dentist, lawyer, accountant etc etc so someone definitely in the upper middle income and likely high income bands detailed above.  I'd use the same definition in the UK for middle class.

• Like 3

Snowy79
Posted
Posted
On 11/2/2023 at 12:43 AM, stevewool said:

Starting at the 25k is that with a kitchen too, plus would there be any other charges like service cost , plus is there a time weather wise not to be in borocay 

25k is with a kitchen you pay water and electricity on top. I currently pay about 3.5k total for both. 

Weather wise Boracay has a wet season but realistically it's rarely raining all day. Usually a few hours at night and a few hours early morning. 

It's a 365 day holiday island so everything remains open. You'll never be bored and if you don't like crowds even in peak season there's deserted beaches. 

• Like 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted
34 minutes ago, Snowy79 said:

25k is with a kitchen you pay water and electricity on top. I currently pay about 3.5k total for both. 

Weather wise Boracay has a wet season but realistically it's rarely raining all day. Usually a few hours at night and a few hours early morning. 

It's a 365 day holiday island so everything remains open. You'll never be bored and if you don't like crowds even in peak season there's deserted beaches. 

Thanks Snowy, it’s been a long time since we went to boracay and it was a beautiful place then so a visit is on the cards 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, stevewool said:

Thanks Snowy, it’s been a long time since we went to boracay and it was a beautiful place then so a visit is on the cards 

Steve, after visiting Philippines for over 20+ years my wife convinced me that we would visit Boracay. I reluctantly agreed and surprisingly found it enjoyable and wished we had more time there.

Owning a home or condo in Philippines is not in our plans. However Boracay could be an exception. Owning a condo there could work for us living in it part of each year and having it rented out the remaining time? That may be something you and Em's could consider.

Edited by Old55
  • Like 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

hk blues
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, Old55 said:

Steve, after visiting Philippines for over 20+ years my wife convinced me that we would visit Boracay. I reluctantly agreed and surprisingly found it enjoyable and wished we had more time there.

Owning a home or condo in Philippines is not in our plans. However Boracay could be an exception. Owning a condo there could work for us living in it part of each year and having it rented out the remaining time? That may be something you and Em's could consider.

Great in theory but if you're not around to keep an eye on the apartment when it's being rented, or at least have someone you trust do so on your behalf, I think you could quickly regret it.  With all due respect to our hosts, people here are not necessarily known for taking good care of other people's possessions. 

• Like 1