Return Airline tickets

Avalon
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Viking said:

If you arrive as an Balikbayan, I think there is no need for a return ticket to enter into the Philippines. If the airline will let you board the plane without one, is another question?

One year tickets tend to be more expensive, so I wouldn't buy that.

When the wife and I travelled pre-Covid we would bring our Marriage Certificate - me on a UK Passport and she on a Philippines Passport - and I'd get a Balikbayan for one year.  On check-in we'd point this out to the airline and they would waive the need for a return ticket.

For 3 years we didn't travel and so I needed to do a visa run as 3 years is the limit for Tourist Visa extensions - but couldn't travel in May 2020 due to lockdowns so I had to get my 13A Probationary and then a year later Permanent.

I used an agent to do the Probationary as the lockdown had me overstay the 3 years - which BI said was fine - then told me my 13A could be refused for overstaying.  The agent got it done.

Converting Probationary to Permanent I did myself at Angeles BI (Marquee Mall) and it was a breeze.  Submitted the docs, paid about P6K in fees all with ORs.  Watched online for a few months for my number to come up - then went back to BI to collect the stamp and the ACR Card.

Edited by Avalon
  • Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Avalon said:

When the wife and I travelled pre-Covid we would bring our Marriage Certificate - me on a UK Passport and she on a Philippines Passport - and I'd get a Balikbayan for one year.  On check-in we'd point this out to the airline and they would waive the need for a return ticket.

That's the correct way when the rules are followed.

Unfortunately many people in the past had problems with this and was refused to board the flight without a return ticket.

Some Airlines just don't know about the Balikbayan rules and don't take any chances. If the passenger would be denied entry at the destination, it will be the responsibility of the airline to get the passenger back to the point of departure.  

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

That's the correct way when the rules are followed.

Unfortunately many people in the past had problems with this and was refused to board the flight without a return ticket.

Some Airlines just don't know about the Balikbayan rules and don't take any chances. If the passenger would be denied entry at the destination, it will be the responsibility of the airline to get the passenger back to the point of departure.  

@stevewool suggest you print out this from the Bureau of Immigration in case the airline questions you about a return ticket.

source URL https://web.facebook.com/officialbureauofimmigration/posts/11-february-2022press-release-balikbayan-exempted-from-return-ticket-requirement/317358237098622/?_rdc=1&_rdr

11 February 2022
PRESS RELEASE
Balikbayan, exempted from return ticket requirement
MANILA, Philippines—the Bureau of Immigration (BI) announced that arriving balikbayan and their spouse and children who are traveling with them are exempted from presenting an outbound ticket.
BI Commissioner Jaime Morente said that the exemption is in compliance with a recent resolution from the Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-MEID), exempting former Filipinos, as well as the spouse and children of Filipinos or former Filipinos who are traveling with them, from the requirement.
“This adjusted policy allows those arriving under a balikbayan status to better enjoy their one-year visa-free privilege,” said Morente.
Balikbayan, as defined by the BI, are former Filipinos who have been naturalized to any of the 157 countries under Executive Order No. 408, s. of 1960 as amended. Balikbayan are entitled to a one-year visa free entry, which they can extend to their spouse and children, if traveling to the Philippines together with them.
Family members of Filipinos not included in the list of visa-free countries, on the other hand, are required to secure an entry visa prior to their arrival.
  • Like 3
  • Love it 1

Joey G
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Viking said:

Some Airlines just don't know about the Balikbayan rules and don't take any chances.

Yep... and this all happens when you go to check in just prior to your original flight... been there, done that... not worth the hassle.

Once we arrive it's been simpler... we've never shown or have been asked for a marriage certificate...  or the return ticket... same last name, roughly the same age, both entering on USA passport (wife's USA passport says Birthplace: Philippines)... maybe they just don't feel the need to check us.

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Well as Ems is a British citizen now , she says that we both will have to get a yearly pass for every year we stay in the Philippines, not to sure how that will work once we step foot into the Philippines, I’ll just stand behind her and let her do all the talking , tutting , eye rolling , sighing and arm waving and more tutting 

• Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, stevewool said:

Well as Ems is a British citizen now , she says that we both will have to get a yearly pass for every year we stay in the Philippines, not to sure how that will work once we step foot into the Philippines, I’ll just stand behind her and let her do all the talking , tutting , eye rolling , sighing and arm waving and more tutting 

Steve mate, your arrival BB is a one off thing, you would both have to leave and return to get another BB or she maybe can claim, as I said before a returning Filipino and you just Extend each time  you need to, My Advice is contact bi an let them tell you what you will need to do. Whatever Good Luck :tiphat:

• Thanks 1

Avalon
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, stevewool said:

Would it be easier for her to use RA 9225 to regain her Philippines nationality and Passport with dual nationality?

https://cfo.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/pdf/2018/DUAL-CIT-PRIMER-FINAL.pdf

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Avalon said:

Would it be easier for her to use RA 9225 to regain her Philippines nationality and Passport with dual nationality?

https://cfo.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/pdf/2018/DUAL-CIT-PRIMER-FINAL.pdf

That would help her, but not you as she would have to accompany you in order for you to access the BB privilege.  She should definitely regain her citizenship, it is a quick and easy process.  She will also gain certain benefits of citizenship which may help her in the future.  I would recommend you apply for a 13A visa or the SRRV visa.  Either of those negates the requirement for continual visits to BOI and/or exit and return trips.

jimeve
Posted
Posted

Asawa ko got her Philippine national and passport in the UK many years ago, can't remember the proceed but did it in a day.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Mike J said:

That would help her, but not you as she would have to accompany you in order for you to access the BB privilege.  She should definitely regain her citizenship, it is a quick and easy process.  She will also gain certain benefits of citizenship which may help her in the future.  I would recommend you apply for a 13A visa or the SRRV visa.  Either of those negates the requirement for continual visits to BOI and/or exit and return trips.

I wonder about the validity of a 13a if the holder isn't a permanent resident?