Fresh tuna price

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Good job we are here then and not elsewhere

Although the topic is tuna prices in the Philippines, I wanted to mention about a very popular television show, "Wicked Tuna."  Commercial boats, licensed to catch Blue Fin tuna, compete with one another as to who can catch the biggest and best quality large fish.  The heads, guts and fins are removed before weighing.  Wholesale purchase price range from $8 to $24 per pound or $17.60 to $52.80 per kilo.  By the time it reaches Japan, the dress weight probably causes the price to triple or quadruple after cutting into slabs for the restaurant market.

Nice to know that prices are low in the Philippines.  Must eat more since I love it.  

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

I've just been corrected by the Minister for Finance and War: 300PHP for yellowfin, 400 for bluefin.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 minutes ago, BrettGC said:

I've just been corrected by the Minister for Finance and War: 300PHP for yellowfin, 400 for bluefin.

Still a Good Buy compared to another cost post EH?

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

By the time it reaches Japan, the dress weight probably causes the price to triple or quadruple after cutting into slabs for the restaurant market.

THAT, I call sheer greed  But Then, you rich guys will pay and then Tip on top :89:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Jack Peterson said:

Still a Good Buy compared to another cost post EH?

No complaints here that's for sure.  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Corazon tells me just now that at 6.30 in the morning you can pay 600 to 700 a Kilo BUT.... at 2 pm it can go down to 400 because it is not so Fresh :89: To me that seems fair, ( early bird comes to mind in reverse)

• Like 1

jimeve
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Eddie1 said:

A Market.  For us in Bisaya it's  "Tiangge OR Tiange". 

Ah, that's why the trike driver never understood when he asked where to. I said 'Mercado' Thinking Spanish.

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, jimeve said:

Ah, that's why the trike driver never understood when he asked where to. I said 'Mercado' Thinking Spanish.

Interesting, here in Moalboal it called mercado.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

THAT, I call sheer greed  But Then, you rich guys will pay and then Tip on top :89:

No tipping in Japan.  The restaurant and their employees consider the practice insulting.  It's the same as saying, "Here's additional money because you are getting lousy wages."  I have seen waiters running after foreign customers to return money they left at the table.  

Edited by JJReyes
  • Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, jimeve said:

1 hour ago, Mike J said:

Interesting, here in Moalboal it called mercado.

Mercado here in central Negros as well. 

• Like 1