Fresh tuna price

manofthecoldland
Posted
Posted

Palenque or palenke (SP. / Tagalog)  or public market, or wet market is also often used.

• Like 1

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

On Boracay 350 for Yellow fin during the day. If bought by 5am 200 peso just as the fishermen come in. 

• Love it 1

Eddie1
Posted
Posted
On 2/11/2024 at 12:26 AM, jimeve said:

Ah, that's why the trike driver never understood when he asked where to. I said 'Mercado' Thinking Spanish.

To be honest Jim it can also be called 'Mercado' here but that word seems to be used far less that Tiangge.

piranhamoose23
Posted
Posted
On 2/10/2024 at 8:23 PM, jimeve said:

How long is a piece of string? It varies from place to place, street vendor, fish market or at the sea-side. what is a "palenke"?

Thank you for all your replies fellas! :no:  
Palenke=wet market

My diet while im in the Philippines consists mostly of fish, eggs and rice. Ocassionally, i'll eat at some Turo Turo.  I know price of good fish is cheaper if you live close to sea side. But im planning on renting in Quezon City for awhile. Until i figure out which province i'll eventually choose to make my base in Luzon.

I havent been back since 2009, so Im just trying to get an average cost now.  Doesnt really matter what kind of tuna or location/city. 
While vacationing in Bohol, Puerto Gallera, and San Fernando La Union, i paid a local guy 500 pesos to buy/deliver Blue Marlin (YES BLUE MARLIN!!) from local fishermen fresh catch of the day (super early, like 4-5am in the morning). I dont recall the price i paid for the fish, but i remember the price was VERY reasonable.  

All my relatives are now here in the States, so i no longer have contacts in the PI. Im so grateful and appreciative for all the contributors in this forum. Thank you all for sharing info :no:

• Like 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, piranhamoose23 said:

Blue Marlin (YES BLUE MARLIN!!) from local fishermen fresh catch of the day (super early, like 4-5am in the morning).

I see the guys most mornings that I'm walking the dogs by the beach, just as they're getting out of the water either diving or boats.  If I want something I send them up to our place and AM (Angry Midget) negotiates the price.  A couple of them tried to "long-nose" tax to start off with but they weren't asked again; word spread pretty quickly.

Although it's not all that common, they sometimes have blue marlin here as well. 

• Like 3

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
6 hours ago, piranhamoose23 said:

I havent been back since 2009, so Im just trying to get an average cost now.

I recall a Philippine Department of Agriculture website that list the wholesale/retail prices of consumer goods.  It is updated twice a week.  Inspectors are sent to marketplaces to gather data.  This included dried and fresh fish per kilo.  Very accurate reporting.

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

I recall a Philippine Department of Agriculture website that list the wholesale/retail prices of consumer goods.  It is updated twice a week.  Inspectors are sent to marketplaces to gather data.  This included dried and fresh fish per kilo.  Very accurate reporting.

Found a couple sites with good info on prices?  First is Agriculture/Fishery for Feb 12, 2024.  Second is basic necessities.  Had to chuckle as "Sardines in Tomato Sauce" is not only first on the list, it has a HUGE number of entries.    

Note - the first URL is the basic URL for Agri/Fisheries and you then choose a date from a list. 

https://www.da.gov.ph/price-monitoring/ 

https://www.da.gov.ph/wp-content/uploads/2024/02/Price-Monitoring-February-12-2024.pdf

https://www.dti.gov.ph/konsyumer/latest-srps-basic-necessities-prime-commodities/

• Like 2
  • Love it 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

My last comment regarding Philippine tuna.  We ordered a "grilled tuna belly" dish for lunch.  It was, "to die for."  

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
11 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

We ordered a "grilled tuna belly" dish for lunch.  It was, "to die for."  

:89: Ah! a posthumous post EH?:shades: :smile:

• Haha 1

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted

Today I bought 2 yellowfin steaks at a local SM. They were thick and very fresh - P850/kg!!!! Okay, so it's our anniversary and I thought it worth the splurge one time. At least it's cheaper than the Alaska King Crab at S & R (P3000+ I think, per kg? or more?) and cheaper than a tomahawk steak (@ something like P5000/kg or more?). So mostly it's a lot of ground beef, pork ribs and chops and chicken for us... Passing by the imported meat freezers at S & R is weak on my heart (and heavy on my wallet).... Lamb is almost out of the question and quality Angus steaks are not far behind. But the veggies are affordable in the wet markets anyway....

• Like 3