best area during Covid

hk blues
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Possum said:

The Covid response in the Philippines was overboard in many ways, face shields, masks in cars etc. But to their credit they knew they had to take draconian measures as they simply do not have the facilities to treat large numbers of infections. In 2022 the death rate from Covid-19 per million in the Philippines was 553. In the USA it was 3099.

I was stopped walking outside my house by the barangay officaldom for not having a mask on even though until he showed up the only living thing with eyesight was a cow. Everyone has similar stories but the country got thru the epidemic much better than many others. It wasn't a walk in the park anywhere

Agree with pretty much all if that but I'd take with more than a pinch of salt any data on infections, death rates etc anywhere. In many countries there were incentives to attribute deaths to covid.  In the UK even those who died in accidents had Covid detailed on death certificates if they had tested positive within a certain period of their death. Were they included in UK Covid deaths,  I have no idea but...

• Forum Support
Mike J
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, hk blues said:

The Covid response in the Philippines was overboard in many ways, face shields, masks in cars etc. But to their credit they knew they had to take draconian measures as they simply do not have the facilities to treat large numbers of infections. In 2022 the death rate from Covid-19 per million in the Philippines was 553. In the USA it was 3099.

Agree.  I was sure that if covid broke out inside the densely populated slum areas of the larger cities/towns it would spread like fire in a dry forest.  The Philippines deserves a lot of credit for not allowing that to happen.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Gator
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

the "rules" could not have been more inconsistent, not only were they inconsistent, the level to which they were enforced (or not), was even more inconsistent.  

No different than any other “rules”. They’re constantly inconsistent about them and especially enforcing them. 

When it came to the Covid restrictions, it wasn’t much different in the USA; or at least in Florida. Many states had rules that varied to some degree or another. 

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Mike J said:

Agree.  I was sure that if covid broke out inside the densely populated slum areas of the larger cities/towns it would spread like fire in a dry forest.  The Philippines deserves a lot of credit for not allowing that to happen.   

Nonsense.

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Gator said:

No different than any other “rules”. They’re constantly inconsistent about them and especially enforcing them. 

When it came to the Covid restrictions, it wasn’t much different in the USA; or at least in Florida. Many states had rules that varied to some degree or another. 

it wasnt the inconsistency, or the arbitrary enforcement that bothered me so much, it was the moronic knee jerk reactions/rules put out by supposedly intelligent people.   Telling people that a mask is mandatory in your car even when you are alone.... I mean these are "intelligent" people making these rules

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, OnMyWay said:

Nonsense.

:89: OMW, maybe you could expand on this answer.

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
22 hours ago, Possum said:

In 2022 the death rate from Covid-19 per million in the Philippines was 553. In the USA it was 3099.

Philippines

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Mike J said:

That is where it spread the most

Possum
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, craftbeerlover said:

In 2022 the death rate from Covid-19 per million in the Philippines was 553. In the USA it was 3099.

The per million refers to population

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1104709/coronavirus-deaths-worldwide-per-million-inhabitants/

Edited by Possum
  • Like 1