best area during Covid

Jerrymander
Posted
Posted

Does anyone have any experience of an area in the Philippines that was better than most of the others during the Covid Lockdown?

In case of another lockdown, I'm looking for an escape area.

hk blues
Posted
Posted
41 minutes ago, Jerrymander said:

Does anyone have any experience of an area in the Philippines that was better than most of the others during the Covid Lockdown?

In case of another lockdown, I'm looking for an escape area.

That's a very difficult question to answer, and possibly meaningless as if such a situation were to occur again there is little likelihood the same approach would be taken and we'd like to think lessons were learned from the 1st time.  In any event, in the event of a lockdown you wouldn't be able to get to your escape area.  

• Like 2

• Forum Support
scott h
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Jerrymander said:

I'm looking for an escape area.

Like HK said thats a tough one. 

I would think about another country, If memory serves the Philippines was number 2 in the world in relation to covid restrictions, right behind North Korea :Caught:

BrettGC
Posted
Posted

The one advantage of the approach here was that unlike many countries they took a national approach to the level of restrictions. What this means is at its core, if any given area was declared at an "alert level <insert number here in ascending severity from 1-5>", everybody in the country knew what that level entailed or could access details of the requirements and restrictions quickly. Once the knee-jerk reactions that we saw in most countries were over. Granted, there were some imaginative interpretations of those rules at times, but overall it seemed to work in getting the word out. I arrived in January 2022.  Schools were still closed and children under high school age weren't allowed into malls etc.  I think they'd just lifted the restrictions on the elderly but facemasks were still mandatory and in some areas faceshields as well.  I quickly determined what I needed to get into the country and travel to another province by looking it up on a single website.  @Gator arrived just after me and after discussing it with him it turns out we had very similar experiences.  It all went smoothly, if not a little slowly at NAIA.  Like most things, it was only the unprepared that had any issues.   "Their country, their rules" seemed to be a hard concept for the more self-righteous to grasp and there were multiple incidents of recalcitrant foreigners being put on the next available outbound flight.  Yes, some of it was a pain in the proverbial, but sometimes the path of least resistance...

Countries like Australia on the other hand has 7 states and 7 different sets of rules were set in place.  They changed the rules on a daily basis without informing all agencies of the relevant changes.  And this went on well after other countries had their sh%t in one sock. If you were crossing a state border, if you could even get permission, an entire new set of rules would apply, or not... It was a best guess at times..  It was a debacle.  

TL;DR - It was a national approach and from what I saw, rules were enforced pretty much the same in every area that I visited in PI at the time.   If you do a Google search you'll quickly find the restrictions for each alert level.  

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Throughout the whole time I was in my Escape area, " Home Sweet home":whistling:

• Like 1
  • Love it 1

Lee
Posted
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, hk blues said:

In any event, in the event of a lockdown you wouldn't be able to get to your escape area.  

If you are over 60, you might not be able to even leave the house.

Edited by Lee
clarification
  • Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

The one advantage of the approach here was that unlike many countries they took a national approach to the level of restrictions. What this means is at its core, if any given area was declared at an "alert level <insert number here in ascending severity from 1-5>", everybody in the country knew what that level entailed or could access details of the requirements and restrictions quickly. Once the knee-jerk reactions that we saw in most countries were over. Granted, there were some imaginative interpretations of those rules at times, but overall it seemed to work in getting the word out. I arrived in January 2022.  Schools were still closed and children under high school age weren't allowed into malls etc.  I think they'd just lifted the restrictions on the elderly but facemasks were still mandatory and in some areas faceshields as well.  I quickly determined what I needed to get into the country and travel to another province by looking it up on a single website.  @Gator arrived just after me and after discussing it with him it turns out we had very similar experiences.  It all went smoothly, if not a little slowly at NAIA.  Like most things, it was only the unprepared that had any issues.   "Their country, their rules" seemed to be a hard concept for the more self-righteous to grasp and there were multiple incidents of recalcitrant foreigners being put on the next available outbound flight.  Yes, some of it was a pain in the proverbial, but sometimes the path of least resistance...

Countries like Australia on the other hand has 7 states and 7 different sets of rules were set in place.  They changed the rules on a daily basis without informing all agencies of the relevant changes.  And this went on well after other countries had their sh%t in one sock. If you were crossing a state border, if you could even get permission, an entire new set of rules would apply, or not... It was a best guess at times..  It was a debacle.  

TL;DR - It was a national approach and from what I saw, rules were enforced pretty much the same in every area that I visited in PI at the time.   If you do a Google search you'll quickly find the restrictions for each alert level.  

wow my experience is completely different.  I was here the entire time and it was an absolute cluster fck.  It was one moronic knee jerk reaction after another e.g., face shields, on top of the face mask, for well over 2 years (only country on planet earth I believe), face mask was mandatory in the car, even when driving alone, mandatory barrier on motorcycles when riding in tandem (even from the same household), liquor bans on one side of the street and not the other (literally), had one individual at a check point telling us we cannot drive (family), without a face mask as he stuck his head inside my car without a face mask etc etc etc...   

"Backriding has been allowed since July 10 for married couples, live-in partners, and common law partners who live in the same house in areas under general community quarantine (GCQ) and modified GCQ, provided that a barrier is installed between the driver and passenger."cover_w8vb.2496.webp

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

BrettGC
Posted
Posted
58 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

wow my experience is completely different.  I was here the entire time and it was an absolute cluster fck.  It was one moronic knee jerk reaction after another e.g., face shields, on top of the face mask, for well over 2 years (only country on planet earth I believe), face mask was mandatory in the car, even when driving alone, mandatory barrier on motorcycles when riding in tandem (even from the same household), liquor bans on one side of the street and not the other (literally), had one individual at a check point telling us we cannot drive (family), without a face mask as he stuck his head inside my car without a face mask etc etc etc...   

"Backriding has been allowed since July 10 for married couples, live-in partners, and common law partners who live in the same house in areas under general community quarantine (GCQ) and modified GCQ, provided that a barrier is installed between the driver and passenger."cover_w8vb.2496.webp

I agree it was silly but after a while at least it was consistent unlike other places.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, BrettGC said:

at least it was consistently stupid

You made a typo.

• Haha 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, craftbeerlover said:

It was one moronic knee jerk reaction after another

They would take advice from WHO and/or follow other countries leads, then add something to show that they were experts too.

Almost all of the "conspiracy theories" that were deemed so in the old, now locked, thread, have been proven true.

• Like 1