Thailand's Visitor Medical Coverage

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

Thailand is now offering up to 500,000 baht ($14,000) in medical coverage in the event of an accident.  The pay compensation is doubled up to 1,000,000 baht ($28,000) in case of death.  The program began on January 1 and it will end August 31.  Tourists can register for the scheme through the Thailand Traveller Safety website.  The tourism ministry hopes the medical coverage will reassure visitors, especially young backpackers who might be uninsured or have inadequate insurance, that the Thai government is prepared to provide assistance.  Not covered are accidents caused by "negligence, intent, illegal acts" or risky behavior.

It sounds like a step in the right direction.  Hopefully, Philippine tourism authorities will start something similar.

• Like 5

Snowy79
Posted
Posted (edited)

I've been trying to search for this online and coming up blank. Is there an official link? 

Cancel that. An edit to update the information. https://www.tts.go.th/

Edited by Snowy79
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
On 2/18/2024 at 7:22 AM, JJReyes said:

Thailand is now offering up to 500,000 baht ($14,000) in medical coverage in the event of an accident.  The pay compensation is doubled up to 1,000,000 baht ($28,000) in case of death.  The program began on January 1 and it will end August 31.  Tourists can register for the scheme through the Thailand Traveller Safety website.  The tourism ministry hopes the medical coverage will reassure visitors, especially young backpackers who might be uninsured or have inadequate insurance, that the Thai government is prepared to provide assistance.  Not covered are accidents caused by "negligence, intent, illegal acts" or risky behavior.

It sounds like a step in the right direction.  Hopefully, Philippine tourism authorities will start something similar.

Is this provided for free???

Sounds to good to be true but great for the visitors, if it is.

Regarding the Philippines, I actually think the government here should prioritize their own people's medical issues before they implement something like this.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Viking said:

Regarding the Philippines, I actually think the government here should prioritize their own people's medical issues before they implement something like this.

Not sure if it is free.  I accessed the website, but you need to complete the application first before getting to the terms and conditions.  One news article mentioned the costs will come from the tourism budget, so it could be free.  In my opinion, many visitors will be reimbursed by their insurance company after returning home.  The offer is done to increase the number of budget visitors to Thailand like backpackers.  

In the Philippines, you could charge a minimum daily premium like P50 or P100, which is a reasonable amount.  Purpose is to avoid the issue of payment during medical emergencies.  I certainly don't want to arrive at the hospital in an ambulance gurney and the first question is, "Do you have insurance?" rather than, "What happened?"

• Like 1

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
On 2/20/2024 at 9:06 PM, Viking said:

According to all the news stories covering this, it says the government will cover the costs so it's free. The idea is to boost tourism as it's still not like pre-Covid time.

• Like 2

Viking
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Jollygoodfellow said:

According to all the news stories covering this, it says the government will cover the costs so it's free. The idea is to boost tourism as it's still not like pre-Covid time.

It's a good effort from the Thai government, but I am not really sure if it will make any difference in boosting the tourism?

• Like 1

Ozzyboy
Posted
Posted

Having lived in Thailand for a long time, i remember the Thai government changing the Visa laws making it harder for expats to live there, then they devalued the Baht from 34 baht to1 Aussie dollar to now 22 baht to 1 Aussie dollar so many foreigners stopped going there, remember the Dutch, US and Europeans were a big market, they all went elsewhere so the Thai gov turned around and said, we don't need them, let's focus on the Chinese market, that didn't go well either so this is the latest effort, i wish them well.

• Like 2

Gator
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks to @JJReyesfor posting the info and to @Snowy79 for the link. It came at just the right time as I’m going to Thailand in a couple of weeks. 

The sign up process is fairly straightforward and easy. Just be sure to have the full address of where you’ll be staying (copy and paste does work on the form). The is no charge for the insurance. Hope I don’t need it, lol

Once complete they will send you an email confirmation (I used the hide my email that Apple offers). It has a QR code in case you want to review coverage or if you need ti file a claim. 

Edited by Gator
  • Like 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
59 minutes ago, Gator said:

The is no charge for the insurance. Hope I don’t need it, lol

This insurance program is on a trial basis that will end in August.  The Thai government will then assess the cost and whether or not it helped attract additional visitors.  I like it because the insurance provides reassurance your emergency medical needs are covered.  In the Philippines, until recently, if you were involved in an accident, the hospital won't release you until the medical bills are fully paid.  (It was determined to be illegal.)

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

the hospital won't release you until the medical bills are fully paid.  (It was determined to be illegal.)

So it should be and punishable if people are held over against their will. That is False imprisonment 

Edited by Jack Peterson