Your Birthday?

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

In the United States, friends might invite you for dinner on your birthday.  The group covers the meal cost of the celebrant.  In the Philippines, when invited out, YOU pay for everyone.  Be aware of this unique custom.  

Another interesting custom is the restaurant usually presents the bill to the wife, not to her husband.  She reviews it, pays or hands it back to the waiter so as to get paid by the husband.  I guess females are better at math.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
33 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Be aware of this unique custom.  

Only in the Philippines EH?

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Only in the Philippines EH?

Do you know of other places this takes place Jack?

Once some distant family invited my wife and I to dinner in Leyte. Turns out the small pig and other food were catered and we were presented the large bill after.

• Haha 4
  • Hmm thinking 1

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's the same tradition in the Australian, NZ and from memory, the British military.  Your event, you pay.  If I remember correctly from my brief trip on an LA class, USN submariners do the same. 

After leaving the RAN it felt a little odd when someone else paid. 

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
5 minutes ago, Old55 said:

Do you know of other places this takes place Jack?

No, I  Invite I pay you invite I may bring a bottle. The word used was  unique  To me referring to a one off

• Thanks 2

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Old55 said:

Once some distant family invited my wife and I to dinner in Leyte. Turns out the small pig and other food were catered and we were presented the large bill after.

Same thing happened to me.  There was a large party to celebrate our visit and, in turns out, I was hosting it.  At least we were informed ahead of time, so we cancelled certain items.  No lechons (two were ordered) because my wife would scream if an entire pig was on the buffet table.  No alcoholic beverages because neither of us drink.  

• Like 1
  • Love it 1
  • Haha 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Same thing happened to me.  There was a large party to celebrate our visit and, in turns out, I was hosting it.  At least we were informed ahead of time, so we cancelled certain items.  No lechons (two were ordered) because my wife would scream if an entire pig was on the buffet table.  No alcoholic beverages because neither of us drink.  

One can only imagine how lavish your leaving party will be! 

• Haha 3

stevewool
Posted
Posted

Not the same thing , but Emma gets the twice a year message from her mid forties brother , it’s his birthday and can she send him cash and Merry Christmas can I have cash for my present 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
44 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

No alcoholic beverages because neither of us drink.  

:shock_40_anim_gif: Wow! I bet you were Popular Not

• Haha 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
32 minutes ago, hk blues said:

No lechons (two were ordered) because my wife would scream if an entire pig was on the buffet table. 

:89: So you don't believe the term when in Rome, and go against the Normal philippine culture of Lechon:huh: