Your Birthday?

hk blues
Posted
Posted

Not sure where to post this but this is the 2nd time in 2 days it's happened so maybe a system error -

Jack's post above shows he was quoting a post of mine but in actual fact it was another poster who posted the quoted comment.   

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
Just now, hk blues said:

Not sure where to post this but this is the 2nd time in 2 days it's happened so maybe a system error -

Jack's post above shows he was quoting a post of mine but in actual fact it was another poster who posted the quoted comment.   

Jack has special internet abilities. 

• Haha 4

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, hk blues said:

Sorry if this happened***** Jack's post above shows he was quoting a post of mine but in actual fact it was another poster who posted the quoted comment.    around this time of day I do get a few problems*****:89:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Old55 said:

Jack has special internet abilities. 

LOL I wish:rolleyes:

hk blues
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Jack Peterson said:

Sorry if this happened***** Jack's post above shows he was quoting a post of mine but in actual fact it was another poster who posted the quoted comment.    around this time of day I do get a few problems*****:89:

No worries.  

If only I knew how to make it happen I could have some fun with it! :hystery:

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

One can only imagine how lavish your leaving party will be! 

Luckily, only arrivals are celebrated.  

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
8 minutes ago, JJReyes said:

Luckily, only arrivals are celebrated.  

Fresh Cash arriving? :whistling: 

• Haha 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jack Peterson said:

Fresh Cash arriving? :whistling: 

Never thought it that way.

In all fairness to my family, we get all kinds of invitations for lunches and dinners while in the Philippines.  A few things have changed.  No more bringing presents.  For large gatherings, the new custom is everyone contributes money, usually P1,000 per person.  The amount is sufficient to pay for a caterer.  Attire is casual except my sister had a 50th wedding renewal of vows.  The invitation required men to wear Barong Tagalog while the women were asked to wear gold colored semi-formal attire.  I had to buy one and they are expensive.  My wife insist we bring it back to the United States even if the likelihood of wearing it again are nil.  

• Hmm thinking 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Same thing happened to me.  There was a large party to celebrate our visit and, in turns out, I was hosting it.  At least we were informed ahead of time, so we cancelled certain items.  No lechons (two were ordered) because my wife would scream if an entire pig was on the buffet table.  No alcoholic beverages because neither of us drink.  

I just wonder what would happen if you refused to pay for all the food that someone else had ordered?

No surprise that so many want a big party for any reason, when someone else is paying.

In Sweden you are usually the one inviting your friends to a birthday party and you also pay for it. Most of the times, the party is held at your home and the foods are prepared by yourself.

I would prefer the American way, that the friends or family fix everything for the one celebrating his birthday. Having a birthday in Sweden is stressful for many people and I don't think that is how it's supposed to be.

• Like 1

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, JJReyes said:

Another interesting custom is the restaurant usually presents the bill to the wife, not to her husband.

hmmm its always been my experience (personally and observation), that the restaurant usually presents the bill to the foreigner. 

• Like 1