Your Birthday?

Snowy79
Posted
Posted

I'm one of the fortunate people that have only had two birthday parties in my life. One when I was 50 and another about 54. Both were covered by others. To me it's just another day of the week and I did nothing to earn it.

I was brought up thinking it was natural to treat whoever's birthday it is whether it was just to buy the individual a beer or to treat him/her to a meal.

It was actually a surprise when I arrived in the Philippines and saw people splashing out on their own birthday.  The other thing that surprised me was their habit of smothering birthday cake over the person, personally I'd have to hold myself back from launching someone if they tried that with me. Maybe it's just as well I don't celebrate them. 😁

• Like 3

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
On 2/22/2024 at 4:24 PM, JJReyes said:

I remember a rich housewife complaining that children's birthday parties were getting expensive.  She had to prepare separate food for the children, the accompanying parents, and also the yayas, bodyguards and drivers.  

We just had a birthday party for my 10 year old at her school.  I don't mind the school parties because they quick and easy.  Especially easy for me as my wife takes care of almost everything!  There are 14 in her class and we bought food for 30.  Jollibee chicken, pizza, spaghetti, drinks and loot bags.  Probably spent 5-6k.

After the main 45 minute party, all the employees swoop in like vultures.  Early in the party, my wife asked a boy if he could eat all the food he piled on his plate.  The well trained boy said "No, I'm taking it home to my family".  There were also some mothers there who did not wait until the end.  Whenever there is an announcement of a birthday party, somehow mothers manage to be there.  These are not poor students and mothers.  It is just how they think about it, without shame.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
On 3/16/2024 at 9:36 PM, OnMyWay said:

We just had a birthday party for my 10 year old at her school.  I don't mind the school parties because they quick and easy.  Especially easy for me as my wife takes care of almost everything!  There are 14 in her class and we bought food for 30.  Jollibee chicken, pizza, spaghetti, drinks and loot bags.  Probably spent 5-6k.

After the main 45 minute party, all the employees swoop in like vultures.  Early in the party, my wife asked a boy if he could eat all the food he piled on his plate.  The well trained boy said "No, I'm taking it home to my family".  There were also some mothers there who did not wait until the end.  Whenever there is an announcement of a birthday party, somehow mothers manage to be there.  These are not poor students and mothers.  It is just how they think about it, without shame.

And quite likely very few 'Thank You's" as well. 

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Tommy T.
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

And quite likely very few 'Thank You's" as well. 

Thank you does not appear to be commonly expressed here. Sometimes, maybe, but generally not....

• Like 3

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Tommy T. said:

Thank you does not appear to be commonly expressed here. Sometimes, maybe, but generally not....

or "I am sorry"

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
3 minutes ago, craftbeerlover said:

or "I am sorry"

even" please may I"

• Like 2

hk blues
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Tommy T. said:

Perhaps due to the concept that everything given is through obligation as much as choice so folk feel no need to show appreciation. 

• Like 1

Viking
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Perhaps due to the concept that everything given is through obligation as much as choice so folk feel no need to show appreciation. 

And that annoys me A LOT!

• Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Viking said:

And that annoys me A LOT!

What aggravates me more is when even though many are still eating out come the roll of food bags for their takeaway :angry:

Edited by Jack Peterson
spelling
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

even" please may I"

Ems favourite words,  wasn’t me !

• Haha 2