Health insurance

hk blues
Posted
Posted

I'm in the Philhealth plus self-insured camp.  Yes, there is a risk of facing a huge medical bill at some point but, for me, it's a calculated risk as every year I don't pay is a contribution to any future bill.  The only caveat I would add is that you really need to ensure you have funds tucked away in the event you do face a hefty bill.

I don't know if Steve would be eligible for Philhealth being non-resident.

• Like 2

craftbeerlover
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Lee said:

Meaning that you have the cash on hand to handle almost any healthcare problem without the need for insurance.

Depending on the medical condition, that could run well into the millions of pesos.   Routine visits etc., are for sure inexpensive. 

• Like 2

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, hk blues said:

I don't know if Steve would be eligible for Philhealth being non-resident.

Before April 2016 he would not need to be a Resident as he is his wifes' Dependant and of course she is a Philippine National, and that Dependency Stands unless unpaid/ the account is lapsed because of time left unpaid. ( there is a time limit on this) This is one of the reasons Expats now have to pay their own Philhealth, They were losing money by having others on One Payment, They don't have children from the Marriage BUT if they did any child over 18 would have to have their own account :tiphat:

Edited by Jack Peterson
  • Like 3

hk blues
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Before April 2016 he would not need to be a Resident as he is his wifes' Dependant and of course she is a Philippine National, and that Dependency Stands unless unpaid/ the account is lapsed because of time left unpaid. ( there is a time limit on this) This is one of the reasons Expats now have to pay their own Philhealth, They were losing money by having others on One Payment, They don't have children from the Marriage BUT if they did any child over 18 would have to have their own account :tiphat:

Right.  But, all things changed from then (2016) and Steve would not be able to be covered under his wife's account now unless he was covered before and grandfathered.  Even then it would be lapsed unless his wife has been making contributions whilst in the UK.  IIRC the account becomes lapsed if 75% of contributions have been paid but our local Philhealth office said they were pretty loose on this but, as with all things here, I wouldn't rely on that. 

• Hmm thinking 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, hk blues said:

Steve would not be able to be covered under his wife's account now unless he was covered before and grandfathered. 

Only Steve can answer that but both @jimeve and I were not resident at the time of  Our dependency claims by by Our wives, so as I say, The Dependency Stands as Grandfathered in, providing Emma did not lapse on Payments, This has always been a grey area But my wife and the Company Secretary of her Company spent months dealing with this and as you can see Jim has used Philhealth so Over to you  @stevewoolwere payments kept UP?

Edited by Jack Peterson
wrong wife named so changed it
  • Like 1

stevewool
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Jack Peterson said:

Only Steve can answer that but both @jimeve and I were not resident at the time of  Our dependency claims by by Our wives, so as I say, The Dependency Stands as Grandfathered in, providing Emma did not lapse on Payments, This has always been a grey area But my wife and the Company Secretary of her Company spent months dealing with this and as you can see Jim has used Philhealth so Over to you  @stevewoolwere payments kept UP?

No Jack , the payments was never kept up , so it’s all down to self insured , I’ve warned Ems that there won’t be many trips to jollibee , Chow king , Max restaurant , Yellow cab , what I save there can go towards the self insured funds 

• Thanks 1