Avatars And Forum Names, And How Others May See Us Because Of Them

softail
Posted
Posted

I'm just a simple old retired guy waiting for the economy to pick up so we can move to the RP. My avatar is my wife and myself on our big day.Doug and Sally

Singers
Posted
Posted

I'm just a simple old retired guy waiting for the economy to pick up so we can move to the RP. My avatar is my wife and myself on our big day.Art and Jho, Doug and Sally .... GREAT.Lovely pic'sThank you,Tom & Tex

tom_shor
Posted
Posted
As many of you may know, I have been on forums for quite a while and I have found that others often judge us by what they can see and thus our forum names and avatars may affect how a person reacts to us. For example my forum name. I took Mr. Lee years ago on another forum because Lee was not available at that time and because Filipinos often called me Mr. Lee or Sir Lee and I sure could not use Sir or that would have been even worse, and now I have just since stuck with it, and because of my forum name some people have thought I was Asian or thought I would be too formal, and to this day I get people who meet me in person and say that I do not look or act at all as they thought I was or would be and based on my forum name and avatar. Some people think I am much older than I am and others are sure I must be a big drinker because of my past avatars and to tell you the truth, I used that avatar because I feel it projects warmth, friendliness and just a good old happy go lucky person, but in no way is it actually me and I am a white, round eye American with a mixed family heritage from many countries. So what I am saying is, do not judge a book by its cover and if you can, then please pick a forum name and avatar that you feel projects a good image and I am sure others will accept you better than if you have a forum name or avatar that projects a negative image of who you may be.What do you all think?
You mean you're not a cat with striped pajamas? Now i'm confused. SugarwareZ-007.gif

tom_shor
Posted
Posted

I prefer to remain synonomus. Don't want anyone to call me in to America's most wanted. SugarwareZ-007.gif

UZI
Posted
Posted (edited)
As many of you may know, I have been on forums for quite a while and I have found that others often judge us by what they can see and thus our forum names and avatars may affect how a person reacts to us. For example my forum name. I took Mr. Lee years ago on another forum because Lee was not available at that time and because Filipinos often called me Mr. Lee or Sir Lee and I sure could not use Sir or that would have been even worse, and now I have just since stuck with it, and because of my forum name some people have thought I was Asian or thought I would be too formal, and to this day I get people who meet me in person and say that I do not look or act at all as they thought I was or would be and based on my forum name and avatar. Some people think I am much older than I am and others are sure I must be a big drinker because of my past avatars and to tell you the truth, I used that avatar because I feel it projects warmth, friendliness and just a good old happy go lucky person, but in no way is it actually me and I am a white, round eye American with a mixed family heritage from many countries. So what I am saying is, do not judge a book by its cover and if you can, then please pick a forum name and avatar that you feel projects a good image and I am sure others will accept you better than if you have a forum name or avatar that projects a negative image of who you may be.What do you all think?
Lee,I know what you mean about how others see us. I started here as TAZ but decided to go back to my old username of UZI. TAZ just didn't fit the 'feel' of this forum.I thought I would just explain - WHY UZI?? Let me clarify one point here - I am English and you know what we think about guns, so it is not from THAT UZI. 1%20%2872%29.gifIn the UK, it is common to create nicknames from surnames by adding a 'Y' to the end, so Smith - Smithy, Jones - Jonesy etc. So my last name is Hughes so Hughesy which quickly became UZI - 23_11_55[2].gifAlso I do talk like a machine gun once you get me started :as-if:UZI Edited by UZI

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Lee,I know what you mean about how others see us. I started here as TAZ but decided to go back to my old username of UZI. TAZ just didn't fit the 'feel' of this forum.I thought I would just explain - WHY UZI?? Let me clarify one point here - I am English and you know what we think about guns, so it is not from THAT UZI. 1%20%2872%29.gifIn the UK, it is common to create nicknames from surnames by adding a 'Y' to the end, so Smith - Smithy, Jones - Jonesy etc. So my last name is Hughes so Hughesy which quickly became UZI - 23_11_55[2].gifAlso I do talk like a machine gun once you get me started :as-if:UZI
Thanks for the clarification. I know most non Americans have been brought up to think guns are evil, except many who have been in law enforcement or the military, so I would just be concerned that your forum name Uzi and esxpecially your avatar might bring about some negative replies to you from people from those countries and that was one of the reasons that I was saying how avatars can relate to how people respond and react to us. Now I would never tell you what to do and while Uzi is a fine name and you have explained it well, if you are not into guns then I would find another avatar without the machine gun in it, but that is just me and I am surely not telling you what to do, I am just pointing out how avatars and forum names cause people to judge us. For instance as you know, I am an American and if my avatar was a machine gun then a lot of people who hate guns would probably feel negative toward me and maybe not even consciously but it might cause me problems and I am even sorry that I ended up with Mr. Lee because it seems so formal and it has caused some people to react poorly toward me in the past but now that many seem to know me, most know I am but a simple easy going guy unless someone puts my back against the wall, then the person doing that best look out.

Jake
Posted
Posted (edited)

Lee,I know what you mean about how others see us. I started here as TAZ but decided to go back to my old username of UZI. TAZ just didn't fit the 'feel' of this forum.I thought I would just explain - WHY UZI?? Let me clarify one point here - I am English and you know what we think about guns, so it is not from THAT UZI. 1%20%2872%29.gifIn the UK, it is common to create nicknames from surnames by adding a 'Y' to the end, so Smith - Smithy, Jones - Jonesy etc. So my last name is Hughes so Hughesy which quickly became UZI - 23_11_55[2].gifAlso I do talk like a machine gun once you get me started :as-if:UZIOK UZI, very interesting background on how you acquired that nickname. However, I'm a little perplexed about the name TAZ and how it "just didn't fit the feel of this forum".If it's too personal or too complicated or too irrelevant, or no response, I will understand. As for my own personal observation, the feel of this forum is really characterized by the owners' personality and the software customized by the Boss Man himself. Even though they are quite liberal on allowing posts that would have been restricted in other forums, Both Tom and Lee runs a tight ship. They even have the courtesy to PM a member and explain the reason why certain posts are deleted or edited. In the final analysis, successful forums have more happy campers that are willing to share/post their experiences, their survival skills and knowledge of the Philippines, in which we could all benefit from each other. Have a good one and welcome aboard UZI!Jake

Edited by JOAQUIN & JUDY

UZI
Posted
Posted
Lee,I know what you mean about how others see us. I started here as TAZ but decided to go back to my old username of UZI. TAZ just didn't fit the 'feel' of this forum.I thought I would just explain - WHY UZI?? Let me clarify one point here - I am English and you know what we think about guns, so it is not from THAT UZI. 1%20%2872%29.gifIn the UK, it is common to create nicknames from surnames by adding a 'Y' to the end, so Smith - Smithy, Jones - Jonesy etc. So my last name is Hughes so Hughesy which quickly became UZI - 23_11_55[2].gifAlso I do talk like a machine gun once you get me started :as-if:UZI
Thanks for the clarification. I know most non Americans have been brought up to think guns are evil, except many who have been in law enforcement or the military, so I would just be concerned that your forum name Uzi and esxpecially your avatar might bring about some negative replies to you from people from those countries and that was one of the reasons that I was saying how avatars can relate to how people respond and react to us. Now I would never tell you what to do and while Uzi is a fine name and you have explained it well, if you are not into guns then I would find another avatar without the machine gun in it, but that is just me and I am surely not telling you what to do, I am just pointing out how avatars and forum names cause people to judge us. For instance as you know, I am an American and if my avatar was a machine gun then a lot of people who hate guns would probably feel negative toward me and maybe not even consciously but it might cause me problems and I am even sorry that I ended up with Mr. Lee because it seems so formal and it has caused some people to react poorly toward me in the past but now that many seem to know me, most know I am but a simple easy going guy unless someone puts my back against the wall, then the person doing that best look out.
Hi Lee,My username & avatar have been with me a long time & I have never been attacked or had a negative comment over either. SugarwareZ-002.gifFor my opinions, POV & even for being a Brit :thumbsup: etc yes but as you said so well
most know I am but a simple easy going guy unless someone puts my back against the wall, then the person doing that best look out.
:541:UZI

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Uzi, it is not my point to try to get you to change either, and I know you have had them for a while, just as it is probably too late for me to change my forum name but it was not too late for me to find a different avatar, so I am just pointing out how some may feel because of them and you would never even know because people do not tend to tell us how they feel about things and I have had people tell me once they got to know me and met me in person, that they thought I was a very different person because of my forum name and earlier avatar. My real point here is not for those of us who are already more or less stuck with our avatars and forum names but for those new members who can give some thought to my POV here and remember all, it is just my POV and nothing I am trying to force on anyone, and also I am wondering if any other members have had anyone tell them that they thought they were a different person based on their avatar or their forum name?

Singers
Posted
Posted
Lee,I know what you mean about how others see us. I started here as TAZ but decided to go back to my old username of UZI. TAZ just didn't fit the 'feel' of this forum.I thought I would just explain - WHY UZI?? Let me clarify one point here - I am English and you know what we think about guns, so it is not from THAT UZI. 1%20%2872%29.gifIn the UK, it is common to create nicknames from surnames by adding a 'Y' to the end, so Smith - Smithy, Jones - Jonesy etc. So my last name is Hughes so Hughesy which quickly became UZI -23_11_55%5B2%5D.gifAlso I do talk like a machine gun once you get me started :as-if:UZI
Hughesy - UZI - Easy does it - UZI does IT?? Tom

post-40-12657875877762_thumb.jpg