Avatars And Forum Names, And How Others May See Us Because Of Them

UZI
Posted
Posted
As many of you may know, I have been on forums for quite a while and I have found that others often judge us by what they can see and thus our forum names and avatars may affect how a person reacts to us. For example my forum name. I took Mr. Lee years ago on another forum because Lee was not available at that time and because Filipinos often called me Mr. Lee or Sir Lee and I sure could not use Sir or that would have been even worse, and now I have just since stuck with it, and because of my forum name some people have thought I was Asian or thought I would be too formal, and to this day I get people who meet me in person and say that I do not look or act at all as they thought I was or would be and based on my forum name and avatar. Some people think I am much older than I am and others are sure I must be a big drinker because of my past avatars and to tell you the truth, I used that avatar because I feel it projects warmth, friendliness and just a good old happy go lucky person, but in no way is it actually me and I am a white, round eye American with a mixed family heritage from many countries. So what I am saying is, do not judge a book by its cover and if you can, then please pick a forum name and avatar that you feel projects a good image and I am sure others will accept you better than if you have a forum name or avatar that projects a negative image of who you may be.What do you all think?
Lee,I know what you mean about how others see us. I started here as TAZ but decided to go back to my old username of UZI. TAZ just didn't fit the 'feel' of this forum.I thought I would just explain - WHY UZI?? Let me clarify one point here - I am English and you know what we think about guns, so it is not from THAT UZI. 1%20%2872%29.gifIn the UK, it is common to create nicknames from surnames by adding a 'Y' to the end, so Smith - Smithy, Jones - Jonesy etc. So my last name is Hughes so Hughesy which quickly became UZI -23_11_55%5B2%5D.gifAlso I do talk like a machine gun once you get me started :as-if:UZI
Hughesy - UZI - Easy does it - UZI does IT?? Tom
:thumbs-up-smile:you got it Tom. Double entendres is what we Brits love SugarwareZ-003.gifEasy err I mean UZI

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted

I'd prefer to just use "Tom," but an effort to avoid confusion with the other 6,000 Toms on the internet = Tom in Big D. Also, it quickly answers the question of "where I'm from" for most people... and my "avatar" - well it doesn't leave much to the imagination... just another "worn out ol' white guy from Texas."Tom in Big D

Singers
Posted
Posted (edited)
I'd prefer to just use "Tom," but an effort to avoid confusion with the other 6,000 Toms on the internet = Tom in Big D. Also, it quickly answers the question of "where I'm from" for most people... and my "avatar" - well it doesn't leave much to the imagination... just another "worn out ol' white guy from Texas."Tom in Big D
Hi Tom in Big D,In Wales the most common Surname is Jones SO a village would differentiate by having "Jones The Milk" = milkman... "Jones the Meat" = Butcher .... Etc.We have Tom the Boss, me Tom?? and now you "Atty Tom" perhaps?? NO! sounds like Ate.. = Big Sister in Tagalog.SO0o.. Tom in Big D Welcome.Regards,Tom UK Edited by Singers

Steve
Posted
Posted

My avatar is rotating on each screen refresh :) :thumbs-up-smile:

UZI
Posted
Posted
Steve,Am I missing something here? Not on my pc it doesn't :th_thimage_265775:. I see the same avatar each time. This:

post-685-12658527566577_thumb.jpg

Steve
Posted
Posted
Steve,Am I missing something here? Not on my pc it doesn't :th_thimage_265775:. I see the same avatar each time. This:
I know other people that have the same problem. It's your browser caching.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
Try pressing f5 and see what happens, I am sure it will change then. Most browsers cache if I am not mistaken.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
I know other people that have the same problem. It's your browser caching.
I can see you and your lovely wife and next time I came back to this forum there's a cute dog which looks a bit like Mr Lee SugarwareZ-011.gif

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
My avatar is rotating on each screen refresh :) :th_thimage_265775:
I do not know Steve, I see Donna with her dog and then I see just the dog. :thumbs-up-smile:

Steve
Posted
Posted
My avatar is rotating on each screen refresh :) :th_thimage_265775:
I do not know Steve, I see Donna with her dog and then I see just the dog. :)
That's gonna cost you Lee. Now you have to pay fro Paul, Tom's and My drinks for the get together :thumbs-up-smile: