What Part Of The Philippines Do You All Live In?

Jake
Posted
Posted
Live and own a Restaurant in Bagumbayan, Maribago. On Mactan Island. Very close to all the Beach Resorts. Been here 8 years as of this post. If anyone ever needs any help in this area, I would be more than happy to answer anything I know. If i dont know , I will find out...
Three years ago it was Queensland, Australia (all over it), then for the last three years it has been in Shanxi ans Shandong provinces in China.In the next few months (hopefully) it will be Bulacan and/or some nice beach area in Phils. w/ good diving and wind (for kiteboarding)Gonna do a search on Mactan Island now.Open to ideas and suggestions for a nice warm relaxed place to come back to after a month at over 4000m w/ year round snow and permafrost for my month's break.
Hey Bundynbeaches,Glad to see another wind freak on this forum. I would love to learn how to crash and burn on a kite board. But the thought of uncontrolled lift-off would probably have me sit on the beach and watch you guys instead.I'm into Hobie Cats and flat water windsurfing. Check out the below website on current wind conditionsthroughout the Philippines. For example, the winds at Boracay is screaming with consistent white caps.Perhaps, Cebuexpat can provide more information about the best venues to launch from the beach. http://windguru.com/int/index.php?sc=576Respectfully -- Jake

bundynbeaches
Posted
Posted
Live and own a Restaurant in Bagumbayan, Maribago. On Mactan Island. Very close to all the Beach Resorts. Been here 8 years as of this post. If anyone ever needs any help in this area, I would be more than happy to answer anything I know. If i dont know , I will find out...
Three years ago it was Queensland, Australia (all over it), then for the last three years it has been in Shanxi ans Shandong provinces in China.In the next few months (hopefully) it will be Bulacan and/or some nice beach area in Phils. w/ good diving and wind (for kiteboarding)Gonna do a search on Mactan Island now.Open to ideas and suggestions for a nice warm relaxed place to come back to after a month at over 4000m w/ year round snow and permafrost for my month's break.
Hey Bundynbeaches,Glad to see another wind freak on this forum. I would love to learn how to crash and burn on a kite board. But the thought of uncontrolled lift-off would probably have me sit on the beach and watch you guys instead.I'm into Hobie Cats and flat water windsurfing. Check out the below website on current wind conditionsthroughout the Philippines. For example, the winds at Boracay is screaming with consistent white caps.Perhaps, Cebuexpat can provide more information about the best venues to launch from the beach. http://windguru.com/...ndex.php?sc=576Respectfully -- Jake
Jake,There might be a lot of crashing but I try not to burn all that much. It's all about knowing how and when to use your safeties. You'd be surprised how easy it is, and for someone with wind experience you'd pick it up even quicker.I've already saved a few spots in the Phils on Windfinder.com as well. Haven't been to Boracay yet but from what I am hearing it is a bit too popular and getting crowded out now. There'll be some quiet places not far away though and will be looking for them next time I get down there.Let you know when I'm around and we can have a yarna and a beer.cheers

cebuexpat
Posted
Posted

Mactan Island is nice to live.   It has its good and bad points.  Lot of people dont like it because its Industrial Island and does lack a lot of exotic senery.  I can tell you the things I like about it and then give you some info to research.I like Mactan because :*It not real croweded like the City.  Easy to travel around, traffic is not that bad. Lot of expats live here. *Has lot of beachs, local and resorts. Most are small,  but some are pretty good size and resort day passes are very cheap.  You can use the resort all day long.*Friendly people, no one here bothers you much, gets in your busienss. Layed back kind of atmosphere.  Not alot of trouble, you can walk around almost anywhere without without worrying about getting robbed or killed or mugged.  They are few certain areas to stay away from, but in general most all of its foreigner freindly.*Not all that expenisve. Lot of condo units and gated subdivisions here.  You can get a middle class condo unit for   Rent -  10,000  to 15,000 per month.                                                                                                                                                                                         Buy -  1.2 - 2 million pesoYou can buy a brand new home in a subdivison,  nice homes.  not all that big, but normal for PI.                               Buy -  1.5   -  2.5 million pesoUtilities and Water are cheap enough.Most all condo units here are gated with guard.  Nice pools, buidlings, ect.....( I have freind who has a condo unit for sale,  Its not in one of the nicest complexs, but also not the worst.  1.3 million....   ( not sure but I think thats the price.)* Lots of nightlife here.  Many bars and places to go if you like the nightlife.  Once you go a few times, they remember you by name and treat you like family. * Not so far from the City.  You can be in Cebu City in 30 min. or less.  Cost is about  200 peso  for taxi to the city. * Three major malls here.  So you can just about anything you want.  Lots of great restaurants, shopping places, hang outs...* Mactan is the meca for water sports. Know as one of the best dive spots in Cebu. Parasailing, Jet Skis, Island Hopping, Snorkling.  You can see pics of Mactan Island and the resorts : http://www.tripadvis...bu_Visayas.htmlHotels and Resorts :http://www.tripadvis...yas-Hotels.htmlThey are all kinds of things to do here.  Lots of history, culture.  Sometimes its hard to find info,  but they are many things to do in Mactan.http://wikitravel.org/en/Lapu_Lapuhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MactanIf you want to check on propety you can start here   http://www.mactanproperties.com/    but dont trust any real estate agents.  Dont ever send any downpayment. Let a expat help you.So all in all if you dont like the large crowds, and all the tourist, and layed back life style.  Mactan is the place...  It large island with most modern conveniences.  Not like some of the smallers islands around Cebu.  Electric is always on, water supply is ok.   So hope this helped with some info......

Jake
Posted
Posted
Hey Bundynbeaches,Glad to see another wind freak on this forum. I would love to learn how to crash and burn on a kite board. But the thought of uncontrolled lift-off would probably have me sit on the beach and watch you guys instead.I'm into Hobie Cats and flat water windsurfing. Check out the below website on current wind conditionsthroughout the Philippines. For example, the winds at Boracay is screaming with consistent white caps.Perhaps, Cebuexpat can provide more information about the best venues to launch from the beach. http://windguru.com/...ndex.php?sc=576Respectfully -- Jake
Jake,There might be a lot of crashing but I try not to burn all that much. It's all about knowing how and when to use your safeties. You'd be surprised how easy it is, and for someone with wind experience you'd pick it up even quicker.I've already saved a few spots in the Phils on Windfinder.com as well. Haven't been to Boracay yet but from what I am hearing it is a bit too popular and getting crowded out now. There'll be some quiet places not far away though and will be looking for them next time I get down there.Let you know when I'm around and we can have a yarna and a beer.cheers
OK BundynBeaches, now you've got my curiosity on full alert. I will do some research about learning kite sailingbecause you made it sound like it's doable even for an old fart like me. Between the two disciplines, windsurfingor kite sailing, I believe kite sailing is more appealing to me right now. The equipment is much easier and cheaperto pack or ship to PI. Thank you sir -- JakeHello Phillip (Cebuexpat),I'm a dollar speaking Filipino born in Olongapo (3-4hrs drive north of Manila) and always had a strong desire tovisit the Visayan Island group. Now that you came on board, I would like to extend my welcome as well and alsoexpress my appreciation on all the websites regarding your region. You gave me some homework to read andhopefully I would be able to persuade my wife Judy (from Batangas) to reside down there. Between you andMr Lee, you guys are perfect marketing tools for Cebu/Mactan area. My first visit would definitely be your finerestaurant Phillip and then off to find BundynBeaches already ripping across the channel with his high performancekite. Thank you guys for the day dreaming -- still stuck in SoCal, respectfully -- Jake

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Moved here with my family from Houston, Texas and Live in Surigao City on the Northern most tip of Mindanao back in 2008. Live here full time. I have been a Horticulturist over 25 years and decided to retire at the age of 50. I have been married over 22 years and we have a 15 year old son attending Caraga Regional Science High. We have a coconut farm on Dinagat Island about a 40 minuet pumpboat ride from the city. Love the area, and do not see myself moving from here anytime soon. So many outdoor and water activities here, it is a great place to live.

tropicalwaste
Posted
Posted
map2.pngWe are based in Minglanilla which is on the far left of this Map on Cebu island. Why do I like Minglanilla? because its still a mix of provincial and city life as well as having Cebu city on its doorstep. There is also a lot of development work going on with a new Gaisano and other malls/supermarkets opening up. Traffic is busy at peak times but generally its not too bad the main southern coastal road is 5 minutes walk from the house which means public transport is easily within reach. I also like the fact everyone builds along the main road which means you can literally head inland and it all goes green as most is still pretty much undeveloped. When I am not here in Cebu I am in the UK working as a surveyor. I spent most of my working life in the maintenance and construction industry as well as a spell in electronics working my way up from labourer to carpenter to where I am now.. which generally is dealing with problem contracts that are losing money and getting them back into profit. Although the more I am in Cebu the harder it is to leave although sometimes you just feel like getting on a plane for a change of scenery yet I know as soon as I see the city lights near heathrow, London I am already counting the days until I can get to Cebu.. Cant have it all ways lol..

bundynbeaches
Posted
Posted

Cebuexpat,cheers for those links, having a good look at it now hope to visit soon, Jake,I'll keep an eye out for you and your kite.

Patsada
Posted
Posted

...my wife is Filipina and comes from NewZealand, I'm German and come from Italy - we both live on Camiguin Island/Mindanao, since 3 yearsPatsada

• 2 months later...
T.Monk
Posted
Posted

I am looking at moving from the US to Davao. I understand it's less congested than Cebu and I am not that much interested in night life or beaches, although Daveo has its share. Good idea?

Inspector
Posted
Posted
I am looking at moving from the US to Davao. I understand it's less congested than Cebu and I am not that much interested in night life or beaches, although Daveo has its share. Good idea?
I am invited there by a high up military guy here to stay on his ranch...going to introduce us to the Mayor (uh oh)...and from what I hear, it is the BEST city in the Philippines....but, from what I have heard, you are safe in the city as a expat, and take your chances elsewhere. Still, being I am not afraid of many things aside from cockroaches, grizzly bears, wet farts and tampo...I might give it a go.