Photography Of The Philippines

Jake
Posted
Posted

Well done Jeff. Did you perfect your technique as a Navy combat photographer? We appreciate what goes on in theminds of a professional when framing a shot and waiting for the right angle for the rising sun. The colors really popand the depth of field is well focused for both the subject and background. Hey, is that the Capone Islands in thebackground?Thank you BluesDude -- Jake

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
I hope you guys don't mind but for the mean time I'll just post here in the forum. If I think folks are enjoying the photos and the tips and you admin guys think its best for me to change over to a blog I'll do so. Anyway, I hope you enjoy and maybe even learn a little about photography. Thanks - Jeff
That is fine Jeff, let the photos flow here. :541: I am looking forward to them.

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

"Drying Squid, Talisayan, Zambalespost-352-069341600 1287347171_thumb.jpgThe above photo was taken just a couple of bays up the coast from Subic Bay. I was out snorkeling and walking around in the water and a local came down to warn me that three of the villagers had been stung by stone fish this year. He took me to one guy's nipa who was really suffering after stepping on one. I was later told that he had died from the poison. I was more careful the next time I snorkeled there.Look for unique subject matter. Make sure the object your photographing is well lit, in sharp focus and that the background is clear of distractions. Look for repetition like what we see in this photo with the squid. Repetition is interesting to the eye. Many times the background can actually add to an image. Sometimes the slightest step to the right or left will make a huge difference in what is included in the background so move around your subject. Look at it from the standing position and then maybe kneel down to just include the sky in the background. .Not all the photos I post here will be award winners but hopefully they might help those of you who have an interest in photography to help you think when you pick up your camera. Later - Jeff

BluesDude
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes sir, it is one of the Capones Islands. I love that area and will probably post several photos from that location. Jake, I was s U.S. Navy photographer for nine years and you bet it helped me develop photography skills. I joined at age 22 though and had already graduated from Ray Vogue School of Photography and had held several photography related jobs before joining the service. I wouldn't trade my years as a navy photographer for anything, what a great time. I have to say though, I take my hat off to all of the combat vets out there though. I spent nine years in during all peacetime, you combat vets deserve so much more appreciation than what you get. Thank you Jake and all of our vets out there for their service.

Well done Jeff. Did you perfect your technique as a Navy combat photographer? We appreciate what goes on in theminds of a professional when framing a shot and waiting for the right angle for the rising sun. The colors really popand the depth of field is well focused for both the subject and background. Hey, is that the Capone Islands in thebackground?Thank you BluesDude -- Jake
Edited by BluesDude

Jake
Posted
Posted
"Drying Squid, Talisayan, Zambalespost-352-069341600 1287347171_thumb.jpgThe above photo was taken just a couple of bays up the coast from Subic Bay. I was out snorkeling and walking around in the water and a local came down to warn me that three of the villagers had been stung by stone fish this year. He took me to one guy's nipa who was really suffering after stepping on one. I was later told that he had died from the poison. I was more careful the next time I snorkeled there.Look for unique subject matter. Make sure the object your photographing is well lit, in sharp focus and that the background is clear of distractions. Look for repetition like what we see in this photo with the squid. Repetition is interesting to the eye. Many times the background can actually add to an image. Sometimes the slightest step to the right or left will make a huge difference in what is included in the background so move around your subject. Look at it from the standing position and then maybe kneel down to just include the sky in the background. .Not all the photos I post here will be award winners but hopefully they might help those of you who have an interest in photography to help you think when you pick up your camera. Later - Jeff
I believe I can speak on behave of my fellow members that we really appreciate your self analysis of your photos as well as your thoughts prior to taking that perfect shot. I never realize that changing the height of the camera (in this case, lower) is important as well. Many of us expats love to travel around the islands and hopefully we become better photographers based on your valuable lessons. Even the basic fundamentals will do for me.Please allow me to shake your hand one day. We are both veterans and survivals of all that chicken chit in the military. By the way, any comments on "Proud Mary"?Respectfully -- Jake

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Sunset in Pundakit - Zambales, Luzonpost-352-082051100 1287459417_thumb.jpgShooting into the sun can give you some great effects. By exposing for the highlights in an image you will achieve a silhouette. Silhouettes are particularly easy when shooting a sunset. This photo was taken with a consumer grade point-n-shoot. The camera had a sunset mode which gives the same effect as when shooting with a sunset or tobacco filter. Depth is created by placing objects in the foreground. In this case, the trees, then the swimmers, then the island, the clouds, and finally the sun. When shooting landscapes, try to never place the horizon dead center in the viewfinder. In art and photography there is a rule called the rule of thirds. Rules are simply a guide and in this case the rule is to either have two-thirds sky and one-third land (or water), or two-thirds land and one-third sky. If I continue to post more tips, I'll try to dive a bit deeper into the subject of horizon placement.Anyway, Mr. Lee will recognize this place as he grew up near this area. This is one of the Capones Islands and it's my favorite place to be. Later - Jeff

Jake
Posted
Posted
Sunset in Pundakit - Zambales, Luzonpost-352-082051100 1287459417_thumb.jpgShooting into the sun can give you some great effects. By exposing for the highlights in an image you will achieve a silhouette. Silhouettes are particularly easy when shooting a sunset. This photo was taken with a consumer grade point-n-shoot. The camera had a sunset mode which gives the same effect as when shooting with a sunset or tobacco filter. Depth is created by placing objects in the foreground. In this case, the trees, then the swimmers, then the island, the clouds, and finally the sun. When shooting landscapes, try to never place the horizon dead center in the viewfinder. In art and photography there is a rule called the rule of thirds. Rules are simply a guide and in this case the rule is to either have two-thirds sky and one-third land (or water), or two-thirds land and one-third sky. If I continue to post more tips, I'll try to dive a bit deeper into the subject of horizon placement.Anyway, Mr. Lee will recognize this place as he grew up near this area. This is one of the Capones Islands and it's my favorite place to be. Later - Jeff
Another excellent shot. We've all taken photos of sunset before but never with the thoughts you have given us: the rules of thirds and creating depthto make it more interesting. Thank you Jeff for your time and your works of art. By the way, would love to hear your comments regarding my previouspost: http://www.philippin...indpost&p=30231Respectfully -- Jake

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Thanks for your comments Jake. I'm sorry, I meant to say that you'll recognize the place not Mr. Lee. You are the one who said you grew up just down the beach from here, not Mr. Lee. Perhaps this isn't the right place for me to post since the last two days I believe you're the only one to comment. I really do appreciate you doing so. I was hoping to generate some discussion of photography in, and of, the Philippines. I might look at creating a blog as was suggested by a few guys but I think I'll take a few days off from posting and look at the blogs to decide. Not everyone shares an interest in photography. This is a great site and I really enjoy reading and learning about my home away from home. About five years from now my wife and I will join you fortunate expats. We can wait to spend more time on our little slice of beach together with family and friends. Thanks again for your comments, I'll be sure to reread your previous post. Later - Jeff

Another excellent shot. We've all taken photos of sunset before but never with the thoughts you have given us: the rules of thirds and creating depthto make it more interesting. Thank you Jeff for your time and your works of art. By the way, would love to hear your comments regarding my previouspost: http://www.philippin...indpost&p=30231Respectfully -- Jake

BluesDude
Posted
Posted

Jake, the Subic area in the 1980's was quite a place to be. Especially as a single guy. It was a lot of fun and I made many life-long friendships. I lived up in Barrio Barretto for five years and have amazing memories. Barretto was where a lot of the retired and station dito guys lived. Great place back then. I was amazed at how built up it was when we last visited. I could barely recognize the place. The times, they are a changing.You're right about the Navy Exchange having some really good equipment for sale. Sounds to me like you bought an good old Canon F-1. That was the body us navy photographers used the most as our daily work horse. Perhaps some day down the road, you & I can relive some of our old memories together while enjoying a few cold San Migoo's. Later - Jeff

Blues and photography are two of my favorite things in life. They rank right up there with ... well not quite. Maybe sometime down the road we can share a couple of cold ones, talk about photography, while listening to some good music. I also share your appreciation of a good cigar from time to time.
A guy into the blues and photography. We should talk and you should share you cameras LOL.I so want a good DSLR.
Since Jeff (BluesDude) mentioned being stationed at Cubi Point in the 1980's, I feel a little nostalgic thinking about that era. Talk about listening to good music like rhythm and blues or swamp rock, any songs from Creedence Clearwater Rivival or the Eagles instantly gave me a boner check while visualizing those ladies gyrate to Proud Mary. I could remember buying a couple black body cameras (manual of course), some nice set of lens, tripod and hard case atthe Navy Exchange and still have enough to throw away your remaining dollars by listening to Proud Mary one more time.Hey Rusty, I have a couple of stogies that might satisfy you -- it does have a taste of "brown sugar"..........he, he.Again, thanks for the memories -- Jake

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hey Jeff,I believe most members here have an interest in photography. We all have some adventure in our blood, willing to take the risk of the unknown when travelling to a strange but exotic land. Even the use of a simple point and shoot camera can produce some memorable shots if we continue to follow your advice on basic fundamentals. And besides that, you mentioned that using a small and inconspicuous camera would be less intimidating and the locals would act naturally in the presence of a foreigner. Perhapsyou could advise us on how to take portraits (indoor or outdoor) of the lovely smiles that surrounds us.Again, thank you for sharing -- JakePS -- yeah, we could meet at Captain's Table, with endless pitchers of MoJo