Alcohol Consumption

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

Inspector, you're spot on!!! If i ever have a few days at Subic again, i will enjoy getting trashed with you over a few cold gooses laying by a garden or at the beach.

No name
Posted
Posted
At least you're making the most of your time, writing good articles, helping other expats, helping your lady and her kids. My grandmother got diabetes in her 80's, and my dad got it in his 60's, both having lived completely healthy lives, no drinking or smoking or junk food. I was warned at about 24 while still single that my blood/sugar level was getting low, but I was living really poorly - lots of booze, junk food, and fast food. I also cut back on exercising at that time, opting to work more. Since having a family my weight has roller-coastered from 175 to 200 down to 165, back up to 190, down to 165, up to 190, down to 170, and now probably close to 200 again. This teaching English lifestyle coupled with two young kids, and the need to work more, has messed with my schedule quite a bit. The last six months I decided to focus on work, so we could make a smoother transition to the Philippines next week, but I've also hit the booze a lot more frequently, and am pushing 200 again. I can't wait to move! Maybe I'm dead wrong, but I envision my life in the Philippines as one allowing lots of time for exercise and farm work (more exercise), and a bit of freedom from the clock and the kids (AFFORDABLE NANNY!!!). Even though I love drinking Filipino liquor, I think that with more freedom to work out, play basketball, go swimming, or maybe get back into boxing, I'll have less desire to drink. As it is, I get home from work, my feet are sore, my eyes are heavy, my kids are running around or wanting to be held, my wife is on Facebook (hogging the computer ;), and a good strong drink (soju) just alleviates the anxiety. All of that makes me think, if I were to keep it up, I'd have diabetes in a year, two, or tomorrow. So that's the goal, become a farmer, work nature's clock, regulate the alcohol consumption (also because drinking and arrogance can get you killed in the PI), and exercise more. Fingers crossed. It's got a 50/50 chance of succeeding or blowing up in our faces. If it does blow up, back to Canada where alcohol will be too expensive for it to become a daily hobby. It's a lot easier to become an alcoholic when the stuff is so cheap!
Thanks, I agree I'm making the most of it. I also have lupus and that is probably related directly to my diabetes. I started having low blood sugar at 15. I didn't k now that is what it is. I just felt shaky and found that orange juice fixed it. Classic sign I found out 15 years later. That's just way to young for type II diabetes unless there is another cause. Which I had, undiagnosed lupus. When I'd go out and get really hot, like mowing the yard, I'd often end up with a fever around 104 the next day.Being young and strong as an ox, I blew it off. I once was playing football in full gear so dizzy from a fever I could barely stand but I could still play football. LOL I nearly passed out on the way home. So cold I could see my breath with a steady rain.. LOL I was 12 and insane. :)I could improve my odds a great deal. Farm work? No way but that will be good for you. I was walking 1.5 miles a day on average. Some days I walked zero, others I walked three miles. Usually I walked 2 miles a day five days a week. The the rashes hit and that stopped me.I was in Cebu City last night, feeling really bad. Extremely weak and hot. I went for a short walk. That's what I needed. Sugar was high.I'm going to start walking in my driveway for now. At night so the sun wont cause lupus to flare.My girl says she wont let me die. Probably went to a quack doctor to make certain of that. LOL :) Hey, I don't discount these things any more. Not after I saw what I still believe was an aswang. A bird at night, with the head of a humming bird and wings of a bat. Freaky thing. The place just seems very spiritually active or something. I don't know. I didn't believe in any of that stuff before I lived here for about a year. Nearly all Filipina do. Well ALL of the ones I've asked about it.Boy am I going off on tangents. Its a southern thing, I think. :)Thanks for the kind words about my writing.Jessie will be taken care of even after I'm gone. I'm lucky to have her.A yaya (nanny) should cost next to nothing where you are going. We paid P3000 a month for our first one. But have paid P1500 after we had been here long enough to find them without the use of an agency. The first one was in Cebu City, they get more there. More still in Manila.

No name
Posted
Posted
People may think and judge me as they wish, since i earn my own food and lodge, i do not care!!! So here it goesIf i come in the mood to drink beer...getting tired of peeing is my limit whenever that happens, then i change to vodka.When it comes to vodka if no beers advanced (at least 6-8) then a litter of absolute is fine for me alone. If beers then half to 3/4 of the bottle.The frequency is about twice a month and only at home, certain exceptions have applied but i hate drinking out specially in nice bars (no i do not frequent girly bars) since each double vodka with coke goes 400-500p...plus the shots plus the foods...ouch!!!! What i hate more is not the price (there is no price to my pleasure) but the fact i cannot just lay over at my bad and sleep plus i can get in troubles. So i prefer home!!!!
"When I drink alone, I prefer to be by myself." George Thorogood His song might be a cover version though. He likes to cover old blues men.

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Inspector, you're spot on!!! If i ever have a few days at Subic again, i will enjoy getting trashed with you over a few cold gooses laying by a garden or at the beach.
:cheersty:Mojo with Jake?... Grey Goose with Joe...beer with Tom and Lee....I'm sensing I could be the one dancing with a bikini by the end of the night.... :)

Jake
Posted
Posted
:cheersty:Mojo with Jake?... Grey Goose with Joe...beer with Tom and Lee....I'm sensing I could be the one dancing with a bikini by the end of the night.... :)
Now, who is going to goose who? Remind me to bring a stack of peso coins (the old large ones) to see if Inspector could give out the correct change.Speaking of which, your new avatar Inspector is still giving me some hibe-jibes. Please be advised that piano bench is hereby declared bio hazard and should be nuked as soon as possible.Jake with a finger down my throat to induce vomiting.........