What To Do To Keep Busy While In Retirement

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

While posting in another topic HERE I thought it might be a good idea if members give other members ideas of what they do to keep themselves occupied during their lives, so all here are a few things I do and I hope others can add theirs.It has always been my feelings that we must have hobbies to keep us busy and especially during our retirement years. Some hobbies may be restricted by law, for instance I love to target shoot and I used to hunt a lot in years gone by, but in doing either I would probably have to go with my wife and with her gun or guns to stay within the law, although I am told some ranges rent guns, or store guns for people, and some say hunting might be allowed but there is probably not much to hunt for from what I have been told and besides that ammo is very expensive in the PHL, and I would imaging reloading supplies would also be expensive and possibly hard to get, so to me that hobby will not fill as much time while living in the PHL as it does while we live in the US. Another hobby that I have and can highly recommend to members is Amateur Radio service (Ham Radio as it is nicknamed) because with today's technology you might not even need much more than a computer and a license to speak to people all over the world using one of the few computer programs available to Hams, such as ECHO LINK or QSONET, and that can be a very rewarding hobby because it allows one to make many friends worldwide and many Hams are willing to show other Hams around if they visit their countries and towns, so that alone and keeping a log of everyone you talk to and trying to cover the world in doing so could fill many days, weeks, months and years, but one would probably find it easier to get started on something such as those while back in our own home countries and then applying for reciprocal licensing in the PHL if they wish to use an actual radio transmitter while living in the PHL, but one can become licensed while in the PHL by contacting one of the many Amateur radio clubs and I do not believe one would need a reciprocal permit to just use their computers to talk all over the world from the PHL. One way to get started in the above hobby is with HAM test online or by going to the ARRL website online and reading, or by searching online for Amateur radio clubs locally to you. It is much easier nowadays to get a license in many places such as the US since you no longer need to learn morse code like I had to do in order to get my license over 33 years ago and in order to upgrade it to the current license that I now hold. Next of course is computers, reading news all over the world, and lets not forget this forum and helping others to have the life that we have been lucky enough to have achieved, or hope to achieve within the near future, so guys and gals, if you want to be happy in life and especially in retirement, then you have to keep busy with one form of hobby or another IMO, and while girl watching is a neat hobby, biggrin.gif I have found that most Filipinas are quite jealous, so it might not be the best hobby to have unless your lady is like mine and trusts you the way my wife has learned to trust me. :SugarwareZ-034: OK, I could go on and on but maybe best for others to post theirs and I hope I have not put you all to 17403.gifalready unless that was your intention in the first place. whistling.gif So all, do you agree, disagree and if you agree then what do you do to keep busy?

Travis
Posted
Posted

keeping busy was never a problem for me with computer games & watching US tv & walking a lot in the malls for exercise :tiphat: what would I ever have done without my computer :541:

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Yeah me too! My PC takes up most of my leisure time when I'm not doing anything special! buttkick.gifcheersty.gif

United Army
Posted
Posted

Yes internet, keeping track of what I spend, shopping and raising my family.

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted

lee you ACTUALLY can still go to the shooting range in the Philippines i know a place in Puerto galera mindoro heres the website http://www.puertogal....com/club.shtml and you can even fire fully auto ak47 or m16 :th_thholysheep: i was going to go on my last trip but it was the membership fee and my budget that stoped me coz we had the kids with us !! maybe this trip i will get the chance !!! anyway just wanted to let you know all :)take care OldUgly&Cranky

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
lee you ACTUALLY can still go to the shooting range in the Philippines i know a place in Puerto galera mindoro heres the website http://www.puertogal....com/club.shtml and you can even fire fully auto ak47 or m16 :1927_: i was going to go on my last trip but it was the membership fee and my budget that stoped me coz we had the kids with us !! maybe this trip i will get the chance !!! anyway just wanted to let you know all :)take care OldUgly&Cranky
Thank you for the information, :th_thholysheep: but that could get pretty expensive if a person shoots once a month or even more often, like I usually do. If you look at their ammo prices they have listed on that site, wow! is all I can say. p15 a round for 22LR comes out to $34 a box of 100 22Lr when it cost about $6 or less here, and here you get new ammo, and there most of the other calibers they sell besides 22LR will be reloads. Another example, 9mm shows as p25 a round, so that would be p1250 a box of 50 rounds which works out to be about $28 a box when it cost about $10 a box for new ammo here at Walmart and much less for reloads.During my life I used to own most types of handguns and long guns including machine guns in 9mm, .380, .45 and .223 as well as having friends who owned everything up to and including an M60 machine gun, so I have basically fired and gotten a lot of that out of my system, but I still enjoy going to the handgun range and shooting a box of 100 22Lr, and maybe a couple of boxes of 9mm, and possibly a box of .38 specials as well as occasional .357 or .40 S&W at each time we go, and that would make it cost prohibitive to do much in the PHL.The weird part of ammo prices in the PHL is that I used to buy Armscor ammo for about a third of the price in the US than it sold for in the PHL and they had to ship it all the way over to the US from there, so that always made me wonder what the heck was up with that besides taxes. 89.gif Ahh the fun of it all but again thanks for the info and I may stop in there one day down the road.

OldUgly&Cranky
Posted
Posted
lee you ACTUALLY can still go to the shooting range in the Philippines i know a place in Puerto galera mindoro heres the website http://www.puertogal....com/club.shtml and you can even fire fully auto ak47 or m16 :1927_: i was going to go on my last trip but it was the membership fee and my budget that stoped me coz we had the kids with us !! maybe this trip i will get the chance !!! anyway just wanted to let you know all :)take care OldUgly&Cranky
Thank you for the information, :th_thholysheep: but that could get pretty expensive if a person shoots once a month or even more often, like I usually do. If you look at their ammo prices they have listed on that site, wow! is all I can say. p15 a round for 22LR comes out to $34 a box of 100 22Lr when it cost about $6 or less here, and here you get new ammo, and there most of the other calibers they sell besides 22LR will be reloads. Another example, 9mm shows as p25 a round, so that would be p1250 a box of 50 rounds which works out to be about $28 a box when it cost about $10 a box for new ammo here at Walmart and much less for reloads. During my life I used to own most types of handguns and long guns including machine guns in 9mm, .380, .45 and .223 as well as having friends who owned everything up to and including an M60 machine gun, so I have basically fired and gotten a lot of that out of my system, but I still enjoy going to the handgun range and shooting a box of 100 22Lr, and maybe a couple of boxes of 9mm, and possibly a box of .38 specials as well as occasional .357 or .40 S&W at each time we go, and that would make it cost prohibitive to do much in the PHL. The weird part of ammo prices in the PHL is that I used to buy Armscor ammo for about a third of the price in the US than it sold for in the PHL and they had to ship it all the way over to the US from there, so that always made me wonder what the heck was up with that besides taxes. 89.gif Ahh the fun of it all but again thanks for the info and I may stop in there one day down the road.
not to mention the cost of getting there lee i dont know much about shooting actually i never fired a gun in my life hahaha ( EXECPT WHEN IM PLAYING A VIDEO GAME ) but anyway at least you can do it in the Phils , as for what i would do IF I WAS RETIRED , well i just bought a hd camcorder a few months back and i would really love to get into video editing , and going around to different places and show the world the country we all fell in love with , IM kinda a computer geek so building them in my spare time , gaming is something i like ESPECIALLY Flight Sim X from microsoft , even today i flew from hong kong to manila on a 777 and i went from clark to manila in a crj670 jet so that would take up a nice bit of my time ! and i was thinking one day to learn arnes to help keep me in shape and to keep the redhorse away hahahaOldUgly&Cranky

United Army
Posted
Posted

This is going off the main subject for this thread, but guns>>>>.Yes I love them. I have shot .22, 9mm, .45, AK-47, M-16, 30-06, 270, 32 winchester special and the Barrett .50 cal.Out of all of these the Barrett was the best, one of the easies rifles I have ever shot. But had to sell them all before I move over to the PH. I had the Barrett model 99 with the 32 inch heavy barrel along with the BORS system, with a scope. I think it cost me around 7KHere is the website for Barrett: http://www.barrett.net/news/23

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
This is going off the main subject for this thread, but guns>>>>.Yes I love them. I have shot .22, 9mm, .45, AK-47, M-16, 30-06, 270, 32 winchester special and the Barrett .50 cal.Out of all of these the Barrett was the best, one of the easies rifles I have ever shot. But had to sell them all before I move over to the PH. I had the Barrett model 99 with the 32 inch heavy barrel along with the BORS system, with a scope. I think it cost me around 7KHere is the website for Barrett: http://www.barrett.net/news/23
What does one do with a Barrett Model 99? Awesome rifle with stopping and killing power for sure for a .50 cal round! One can buy those in the U.S? What ever for? But must sure feel good just having one for just in case of bullies one would like to get rid of from afar without being seen! But I'm sure it would be easy to find out where that .50 cal slug came from when an autopsy is performed, if they can find the bullet! It has to be a "do or die" situation if one has to use it on someone or on somebody one truly wants to eliminate! Did I hear sniper rifle? I want one of those! th_thholysheep.gif Did I say that? One surly would become busy running and hiding from the law! signnvm.gif Edited by Fil/AmArt

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
What does one do with a Barrett Model 99? Awesome rifle with stopping and killing power for sure for a .50 cal round! One can buy those in the U.S? What ever for? But must sure feel good just having one for just in case of bullies one would like to get rid of from afar without being seen! But I'm sure it would be easy to find out where that .50 cal slug came from when an autopsy is performed, if they can find the bullet! It has to be a "do or die" situation if one has to use it on someone or on somebody one truly wants to eliminate! Did I hear sniper rifle? I want one of those! th_thholysheep.gif Did I say that? One surly would become busy running and hiding from the law! signnvm.gif
this is getting off topic, but a good one, ........i really miss my AK47 , and SPAS12. , and the combat shoots we used to do in alaska. and im not in the PH. yet!!........i know that i will be active in skeet and comp. shooting in the PH.even at the ridiculos price of ammo..............tanks ej.:714_full_of_crap: