What To Do To Keep Busy While In Retirement

United Army
Posted
Posted
This is going off the main subject for this thread, but guns>>>>.Yes I love them. I have shot .22, 9mm, .45, AK-47, M-16, 30-06, 270, 32 winchester special and the Barrett .50 cal.Out of all of these the Barrett was the best, one of the easies rifles I have ever shot. But had to sell them all before I move over to the PH. I had the Barrett model 99 with the 32 inch heavy barrel along with the BORS system, with a scope. I think it cost me around 7KHere is the website for Barrett: http://www.barrett.net/news/23
What does one do with a Barrett Model 99? Awesome rifle with stopping and killing power for sure for a .50 cal round! One can buy those in the U.S? What ever for? But must sure feel good just having one for just in case of bullies one would like to get rid of from afar without being seen! But I'm sure it would be easy to find out where that .50 cal slug came from when an autopsy is performed, if they can find the bullet! It has to be a "do or die" situation if one has to use it on someone or on somebody one truly wants to eliminate! Did I hear sniper rifle? I want one of those! th_thholysheep.gif Did I say that? One surly would become busy running and hiding from the law! signnvm.gif
Back about a year or so ago there was a big scare back in the US about regulating guns, so people started to buy guns and ammo to the point where there was no ammo on the store shelves. I was one of those persons. That Barrett .50 cal is outlawed in Calif and a few other states if I'm correct so Barrett made the .416 round which has more stopping power than the .50 cal. Any one can get one of those as long as they pass a background check. It would take me around 3 hrs to get the barrel clean after shooting it. The kick of the .50 cal is like a shotgun kick, really cool to shoot one of those.

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

i would full time womanizing, its nice to be single again, while the plumbings still good :541: :as-if: :devil:

Jake
Posted
Posted
i would full time womanizing, its nice to be single again, while the plumbings still good :541: :as-if: :devil:
Hey EJ,Well, my plumbing needs a rotor rooter job to get the flow going. Also needs one way valve replacement to keep the pressure up.I get no respect sometimes -- Jake

gapotwo
Posted
Posted

pig out on BALUT andBEER for a week, that should build up pressure, then call..1 800 ROTORTR, that should make you feel better, JAKE. so where do i send the BILL for DR.FEELGOOD services to???:23_11_62[1]:

• 4 weeks later...
bill
Posted
Posted (edited)
While posting in another topic HERE I thought it might be a good idea if members give other members ideas of what they do to keep themselves occupied during their lives, so all here are a few things I do and I hope others can add theirs.It has always been my feelings that we must have hobbies to keep us busy and especially during our retirement years. Some hobbies may be restricted by law, for instance I love to target shoot and I used to hunt a lot in years gone by, but in doing either I would probably have to go with my wife and with her gun or guns to stay within the law, although I am told some ranges rent guns, or store guns for people, and some say hunting might be allowed but there is probably not much to hunt for from what I have been told and besides that ammo is very expensive in the PHL, and I would imaging reloading supplies would also be expensive and possibly hard to get, so to me that hobby will not fill as much time while living in the PHL as it does while we live in the US.Another hobby that I have and can highly recommend to members is Amateur Radio service (Ham Radio as it is nicknamed) because with today's technology you might not even need much more than a computer and a license to speak to people all over the world using one of the few computer programs available to Hams, such as ECHO LINK or QSONET, and that can be a very rewarding hobby because it allows one to make many friends worldwide and many Hams are willing to show other Hams around if they visit their countries and towns, so that alone and keeping a log of everyone you talk to and trying to cover the world in doing so could fill many days, weeks, months and years, but one would probably find it easier to get started on something such as those while back in our own home countries and then applying for reciprocal licensing in the PHL if they wish to use an actual radio transmitter while living in the PHL, but one can become licensed while in the PHL by contacting one of the many Amateur radio clubs and I do not believe one would need a reciprocal permit to just use their computers to talk all over the world from the PHL. One way to get started in the above hobby is with HAM test online or by going to the ARRL website online and reading, or by searching online for Amateur radio clubs locally to you. It is much easier nowadays to get a license in many places such as the US since you no longer need to learn morse code like I had to do in order to get my license over 33 years ago and in order to upgrade it to the current license that I now hold. Next of course is computers, reading news all over the world, and lets not forget this forum and helping others to have the life that we have been lucky enough to have achieved, or hope to achieve within the near future, so guys and gals, if you want to be happy in life and especially in retirement, then you have to keep busy with one form of hobby or another IMO, and while girl watching is a neat hobby, biggrin.gif I have found that most Filipinas are quite jealous, so it might not be the best hobby to have unless your lady is like mine and trusts you the way my wife has learned to trust me. :lol: OK, I could go on and on but maybe best for others to post theirs and I hope I have not put you all to 17403.gifalready unless that was your intention in the first place. whistling.gif So all, do you agree, disagree and if you agree then what do you do to keep busy?
Sorry Bill but I do not see any content in your post, please post again below the last quote sign on the bottom of the page and then this post will be deleted soon. Edited by Mr. Lee
no content note added

gapotwo
Posted
Posted
While posting in another topic HERE I thought it might be a good idea if members give other members ideas of what they do to keep themselves occupied during their lives, so all here are a few things I do and I hope others can add theirs.It has always been my feelings that we must have hobbies to keep us busy and especially during our retirement years. Some hobbies may be restricted by law, for instance I love to target shoot and I used to hunt a lot in years gone by, but in doing either I would probably have to go with my wife and with her gun or guns to stay within the law, although I am told some ranges rent guns, or store guns for people, and some say hunting might be allowed but there is probably not much to hunt for from what I have been told and besides that ammo is very expensive in the PHL, and I would imaging reloading supplies would also be expensive and possibly hard to get, so to me that hobby will not fill as much time while living in the PHL as it does while we live in the US.Another hobby that I have and can highly recommend to members is Amateur Radio service (Ham Radio as it is nicknamed) because with today's technology you might not even need much more than a computer and a license to speak to people all over the world using one of the few computer programs available to Hams, such as ECHO LINK or QSONET, and that can be a very rewarding hobby because it allows one to make many friends worldwide and many Hams are willing to show other Hams around if they visit their countries and towns, so that alone and keeping a log of everyone you talk to and trying to cover the world in doing so could fill many days, weeks, months and years, but one would probably find it easier to get started on something such as those while back in our own home countries and then applying for reciprocal licensing in the PHL if they wish to use an actual radio transmitter while living in the PHL, but one can become licensed while in the PHL by contacting one of the many Amateur radio clubs and I do not believe one would need a reciprocal permit to just use their computers to talk all over the world from the PHL. One way to get started in the above hobby is with HAM test online or by going to the ARRL website online and reading, or by searching online for Amateur radio clubs locally to you. It is much easier nowadays to get a license in many places such as the US since you no longer need to learn morse code like I had to do in order to get my license over 33 years ago and in order to upgrade it to the current license that I now hold. Next of course is computers, reading news all over the world, and lets not forget this forum and helping others to have the life that we have been lucky enough to have achieved, or hope to achieve within the near future, so guys and gals, if you want to be happy in life and especially in retirement, then you have to keep busy with one form of hobby or another IMO, and while girl watching is a neat hobby, biggrin.gif I have found that most Filipinas are quite jealous, so it might not be the best hobby to have unless your lady is like mine and trusts you the way my wife has learned to trust me. :yes: OK, I could go on and on but maybe best for others to post theirs and I hope I have not put you all to 17403.gifalready unless that was your intention in the first place. whistling.gif So all, do you agree, disagree and if you agree then what do you do to keep busy?
Sorry Bill but I do not see any content in your post, please post again below the last quote sign on the bottom of the page and then this post will be deleted soon.
ham radio operator is a good hobby, many years ago in alaska,i found a single sideband transiever at a yard sale,hooked it up to a 50foot wire ant. and was amazed at the stations around the world that i could pick up, and how the news varied depending to what country was telling it. worked better at night, but many hours flew by as i fine tuned the knob to zero in on different frequencys.i even talked to people in japan and norway sometimes,i dont know what the legal issues of using one in the PH. would be but that would be a good passtime for a retiree. ....tanks EJ.

guppyman
Posted
Posted

I am not in the PHL yet. I will be coming in May, but here in China, where I have a lot of free time, I pulled out the old baseball board games that I had (Statis Pro, APBA0 and formed a little league with the other expats. It has been great fun, especially to the guys (and girls) who didn't know a thing about baseball when they started playing. It is a great way to meet new people and spend some time with old friends. Most of the game parts can be found on the web for free, so there is no investment. HAM radio is great, too. I was a HAM operator in the States, but here, it is not allowed. Anyway, just some thoughts.

While posting in another topic HERE I thought it might be a good idea if members give other members ideas of what they do to keep themselves occupied during their lives, so all here are a few things I do and I hope others can add theirs.It has always been my feelings that we must have hobbies to keep us busy and especially during our retirement years. Some hobbies may be restricted by law, for instance I love to target shoot and I used to hunt a lot in years gone by, but in doing either I would probably have to go with my wife and with her gun or guns to stay within the law, although I am told some ranges rent guns, or store guns for people, and some say hunting might be allowed but there is probably not much to hunt for from what I have been told and besides that ammo is very expensive in the PHL, and I would imaging reloading supplies would also be expensive and possibly hard to get, so to me that hobby will not fill as much time while living in the PHL as it does while we live in the US.Another hobby that I have and can highly recommend to members is Amateur Radio service (Ham Radio as it is nicknamed) because with today's technology you might not even need much more than a computer and a license to speak to people all over the world using one of the few computer programs available to Hams, such as ECHO LINK or QSONET, and that can be a very rewarding hobby because it allows one to make many friends worldwide and many Hams are willing to show other Hams around if they visit their countries and towns, so that alone and keeping a log of everyone you talk to and trying to cover the world in doing so could fill many days, weeks, months and years, but one would probably find it easier to get started on something such as those while back in our own home countries and then applying for reciprocal licensing in the PHL if they wish to use an actual radio transmitter while living in the PHL, but one can become licensed while in the PHL by contacting one of the many Amateur radio clubs and I do not believe one would need a reciprocal permit to just use their computers to talk all over the world from the PHL. One way to get started in the above hobby is with HAM test online or by going to the ARRL website online and reading, or by searching online for Amateur radio clubs locally to you. It is much easier nowadays to get a license in many places such as the US since you no longer need to learn morse code like I had to do in order to get my license over 33 years ago and in order to upgrade it to the current license that I now hold. Next of course is computers, reading news all over the world, and lets not forget this forum and helping others to have the life that we have been lucky enough to have achieved, or hope to achieve within the near future, so guys and gals, if you want to be happy in life and especially in retirement, then you have to keep busy with one form of hobby or another IMO, and while girl watching is a neat hobby, biggrin.gif I have found that most Filipinas are quite jealous, so it might not be the best hobby to have unless your lady is like mine and trusts you the way my wife has learned to trust me. :yes: OK, I could go on and on but maybe best for others to post theirs and I hope I have not put you all to 17403.gifalready unless that was your intention in the first place. whistling.gifSo all, do you agree, disagree and if you agree then what do you do to keep busy?
Sorry Bill but I do not see any content in your post, please post again below the last quote sign on the bottom of the page and then this post will be deleted soon.
ham radio operator is a good hobby, many years ago in alaska,i found a single sideband transiever at a yard sale,hooked it up to a 50foot wire ant. and was amazed at the stations around the world that i could pick up, and how the news varied depending to what country was telling it. worked better at night, but many hours flew by as i fine tuned the knob to zero in on different frequencys.i even talked to people in japan and norway sometimes,i dont know what the legal issues of using one in the PH. would be but that would be a good passtime for a retiree. ....tanks EJ.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I am not in the PHL yet. I will be coming in May, but here in China, where I have a lot of free time, I pulled out the old baseball board games that I had (Statis Pro, APBA0 and formed a little league with the other expats. It has been great fun, especially to the guys (and girls) who didn't know a thing about baseball when they started playing.
So where do you plan to settle in the Philippines and are you up to starting one of those baseball board game things? It sounds like something a little out of the ordinary so I am interested. I am not a baseball fan but I am a game fan so it might be fun.Too much of my social life here used to revolve around San Miguel beer but lately my diabetes has been forcing me to practically eliminate my favorite beverage.If anyone lives near Consolacion, Cebu and is interested in a friendly poker game, we have one going on every Monday night. It has gotten so popular that, if many more join up we may have to go to 2 nights a week. Its an 8 player table. Average win or loss for the evening will be about 500 pesos per person, less if you are a conservative player.

Jake
Posted
Posted
I am not in the PHL yet. I will be coming in May, but here in China, where I have a lot of free time, I pulled out the old baseball board games that I had (Statis Pro, APBA0 and formed a little league with the other expats. It has been great fun, especially to the guys (and girls) who didn't know a thing about baseball when they started playing.
So where do you plan to settle in the Philippines and are you up to starting one of those baseball board game things? It sounds like something a little out of the ordinary so I am interested. I am not a baseball fan but I am a game fan so it might be fun.Too much of my social life here used to revolve around San Miguel beer but lately my diabetes has been forcing me to practically eliminate my favorite beverage.If anyone lives near Consolacion, Cebu and is interested in a friendly poker game, we have one going on every Monday night. It has gotten so popular that, if many more join up we may have to go to 2 nights a week. Its an 8 player table. Average win or loss for the evening will be about 500 pesos per person, less if you are a conservative player.
Hey Dave,Oh yeah, I'm interested in a friendly game of poke her. If it's strip poker, I would probably lose right off the bat anyway.I bet two pubes to your........he, he.DOM forever -- Jake

Tom in Texas
Posted
Posted

I have always loved to buy crap I do not need... th_imstupid.gif ... when working it was not a problem, because I had no time to buy crap.Now I'm retired and have the time... th_thimage_265775.gif... but no money to spend on crap I do not need.So... I spend some of my extra time researching in great detail the crap I want to buy (antique cars, pistols, custom cues, blah, blah)... then do not buy it & move on to something else.I enjoy the time spent researching and finding just the right item... I usually learn something new... it cost me zip... and I don't have to store more crap I don't need.Otherwise... I spend time tinkering with the cars, shooting guns, shooting pool, bowling... and wasting huge amounts of time posting stuff on forums that nobody but me ever reads.