Canadian Citizen Killed In Surigao City

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thanks James the update is most welcome.

Did I read yesterday a typhoon is barreling down on you? 

Say - what is the difference between mariculture and aquaculture? is it flora fauna gone wet?

A project with a bit of both I considered years ago when working in the intertidal zone harvesting mussels (Mytilus edulis) was a process whereby some substrate would be charged while suspended in the ocean and calcium would deposit on it creating panels which could be used in construction. Prolly a little far out but somebody will do it somewhere

Glad to hear you are up to knees in something other than Harry's mess.

Aquaculture is usually associated with closed-water circulated systems growing vegetables/ herbs and freshwater fish varieties using a series of grow beds and fish stock plants. This is a limited example as prawns, apple snakes, crayfish or freshwater vegetation also are used in aquaculture. There are numerous configurations and varieties which can be grown or incorporated together.

Mariculture is quite similar but is the production of saltwater varies of fish, crustaceans and or vegetation. The mariculture project I am designing and will be constructing on our beach lot on Dinagat Island is a small facility to breed and raise lobster larvae from the stage one egg to stage four fingerling. Later I will incorporate a wide range of other saltwater fish, crustaceans and underwater saltwater fauna as the project expands. This first building is basically a testing/training facility that is used to test the best steps and procedures to successfully raise one type of species. Once the technique is perfected a facility will be built and tooled to continue regular production of that species. First I will be rearing spiny lobster and later both the tiger and bamboo lobster varieties. Then when production of each variety or species has been moved to their designated facility I will breed mantis shrimp, shrimp, several varieties of crabs and market fish. Each variety will originally be bred and reared in this small facility which will simply be retooled to fit the need of each variety or species. Along the way I will be working with several varieties of sea weeds, sea cucumber and varieties of crustaceans.

I will keep records of production cost, labor, maintenance, feed cost and document each step of production.  I am taking what is usually a very expensive endeavor to set up and design it to use rather inexpensive alternatives making a much easier for an individual or small group of investors to build and operate my system.  I will include videos, drawings, diagrams, blueprints, formulas, charts, facts and figures in a simple marketable package. It should be very marketable and in demand not only here in the Philippines but in most Asia countries. I hope to be breaking ground on the facility in the next few weeks.

I started a Facebook farm and gardening group (Philippine Farm and Garden - horticulture, aquaculture, and mariculture https://www.facebook.com/groups/616404865059971/?ref=bookmarks) where I will be posting articles and photos of the facility as it progresses. I have also been working on basic drawings of the small facility and associated equipment which are in one of my Facebook albums ( https://www.facebook.com/james.musslewhite/media_set?set=a.10204473994269745.1073741843.1228755709&type=3 ) which may give you a better idea of what it is I am building. It is a very small facility, only 19 feet x 26 feet with a small simple dwelling built on the end of the building, but it should easily handle 5,000 lobster fingerlings per crop with the hopes of producing 2 to 3 crops per year at a fraction of the cost usually associated with such a facility.

Edited by jamesmusslewhite
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
Thomas
Posted
Posted

Any news you can tell about trying to make the wife being forced to go back to the Philippines?

HarryBeatMeAtTennis
Posted
Posted

Holy Cow ..James

How you keep track of all this is quite amazing.

wishing you all the best

• Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Update:

I will post when next I have any information which can be posted.

Good morning Gunny (SoCal time),

It's really good to hear from you again.  Sounds like those two lowlifes had a solid history of violent behavior.  I'm just wondering how they can afford to hire powerful but incompetent lawyers.  Are they well connected?  Are they part of the three G's (Guns, Goons and Gold)?

As always, watch your six Marine.  Respectfully -- Jake

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

I really should not be typing posts at 2:30 am in the morning, especially after a long day. I have far too many typos, misspellings and deleted words. I really should have proof read before posting. I wake up this morning and upon seeing all the flaws could not edit and clean up the post. I have reported the post and hope it can be removed from the thread. Post # 512. .I am re-posting an edited copy of post # 512 here. Sorry for any confusion.

Corrected post of update:

Yes but this case has certainly gone much further than most cases here of murdered expats ever do, but I will be glad when it does so my life will go back to some remembrance of normal again. I see most of the problem is with a country's disclosure laws. The spouse of Harry Doyle did not sign a release of information form either here or in Canada so neither the PNP or Canadian authorities can exchange information in fear of possible law-suits if they choose to do so. Then there are conflicting laws which hinders this case. Example: Jane goes to Canada and is 6 months pregnant, from almost day one the PNP here suspected that Jane's unborn child was fathered by the driver/bodyguard. The wife made statements both here and in Canada that the child is 100% Filipino. She has said the husband paid for a In-Vitro Fertilization, but good luck trying to find in what clinic or hospital this procedure was done. Philippines can not demand the receipts and Canada refuses to want to even ask themselves for proof of the procedure. The PNP here can not even question the wife because she is out of country and so far has failed to cooperate with investigators in any way since before she left for Canada. The PNP strongly believe that the husband was murdered because he found out about the child and perhaps threatened to divorce the wife. This is called "Motive". Yet the PNP can not request a simple cheek-swab DNA test be done on the child in the last 2 plus years. Canada will not request the cheek-swab which would help the PNP here to either prove or disprove their suspicions. Irony here is that the wife who pays for her driver/bodyguard's lawyer to defend him, yet refuses to have the DNA done which could actually help raise these suspicions and help with his defense. Yet no red flag is even raised in Canada. So the PNP whit now both hand tied must spend more time to try to piece together the circumstantial evidence and try build as strong of a case as possible to try to show that there is a conspiracy. Then during this trial of two suspects, who are presently in custody, they must show a strong enough case against these two suspects to get a conviction. This while trying to build a case strong enough to get the Surigao City courts to not only issue an arrest warrant but also request an extradition of wife who is a Filipino citizen and only a Canadian resident. The Philippines is quite aware that only three time in history has the Philippines requested that a Filipino citizen be returned to the Philippines to face charges, and in all three times Canada has refused. The PNP also know they will only get one chance to request an extradition of the wife. The authorities here also know it is almost certain that once the arrest warrant and extradition request goes to Canada, that her lawyer will claim the Philippine judicial system will not give her a fair trial and if she is convicted the jails here will be to harsh and inhuman.

So knowing they will automatically have both hands tied, they must show that they are being more than fair and are doing their very best to insure that her rights are being considered throughout this case. Even after all of this is done the liberal-leaning Canada may simply refuse to send her back. The unborn child who is now over 2 years old has already be given an automatic Canadian citizenship as well as an equal share of Harry's 2+ million dollar estate. And this child will be yet another tool for her lawyer to claim that sending the mother back to the Philippines will be an unfair, and to refuse to do so is for the betterment of the Canadian for the mother to remain in Canada to avoid the possible separation.That it is better that the mother remains in Canada where she will also be free of any charges for the possible murder of her Canadian husband. This certainly brings up a few questions. .If Canada does refuses the extradition request that what happens to the wife? She can not return to the Philippines, and must be forced to live out her remaining days in Canada, where she will be free of any reprisals or restrictions from the Canadian authorities.They will simply punish her possible crime with freedom, eventual Canadian citizenship and more than likely permit a new Will (which cuts out Harry's oldest son who is a Canadian citizen) out of his part of his father's inheritance. So if guilty of this murder, is her punishment of complete freedom, Canadian citizenship and 2+ million dollars a fitting result? Now certainly if she is innocent, than yes an injustice has been done, and she will be unfairly punished by never being able to ever return to the Philippines, permanent separation from her family and friends as well as from the country of her birth. If she is guilty of lying about the child not being fathered by the driver/body guard, and also lied about an In-Vetro Fertilization procedure would this not also show a possible attempt to coverup a motive to conspire to have the husband murdered? And if the wife is present trying to get the whole of her husband's estate using a new Will which actually excludes her husband's two older sons not a red flag enough to at least demand receipts or request a DNA to insure all suspicions are removed, before just handing over 1+ million dollars (which as to be shared by the husband two older sons) to a woman suspect of having the husband murdered? So is this actually Canada's way of assisting the Canadian husband's, his two older sons as well as his Canadian family to find that proper justice is done by all? So if the wife did have him killed is not challenged and asked to prove her claims, is this punishment or an actual reward?

Then if the PNP investigators are right and a Canadian multimillionaire businessman is viciously gunned down and left lying in the dirt to simply bleed-out, as members of his party spend their time cleaning up the crime scene and getting their stories straight before the EMTs and the PNP arrive. rather than quickly loading him into his SUV which was parked mere feet from where he lay and drive him to one of the 3 hospitals not 10 miles away. And that the wife plotted with the driver/bodyguard to hire two killers to murder the husband, Conspired to hide an infidelity from the PNP investigators, husband's Canadian family and a Canadian Probate hearing. And quickly fled the Philippines under the guise of returning his ashes to thwart the investigation and try to seize control of his assets. Has she then in fact actually accomplished those goals with the unwitting help of a complacent Canadian judiciary and authorities bound to inaction do to Canadian laws? 

It will be interesting when the defense witnesses take the stand since much of what they said to the investigators are in direct contrast to what the witnesses sitting at the neighboring bungalow told them that they saw. They were all sitting less than 20 feet away from where the murder occurred with a fairly unobstructed view. The Prosecuting witnesses said they witnessed two men in the lodge for hours, even before the Doyle family even arrived. They said they saw actual interactions between the secretary and the driver/bodyguard and these two men (who would later murder Harry). That these two men actually went into the water fully clothed and even tried to get close to Harry after he went into the water to swim, that Harry swam off from them so the exited the water and then laid out on the large rocks to dry in the sun. That these witnesses the same two men later walked out the front gate of the resort only, and later (approx. 30 minutes) walk back into the gates and walked over to Harry who was sitting down bungalow reading a newspaper. They said they witnesses these two men drink beer and being offered casaba by the driver/bodyguard. And then heard Harry tell them to leave and observed Harry started to shove these same two men out of the bungalow. They said witnessed the two men pull out pistols from under their clothing and aimed there pistols at Harry. They also said as Harry stood with his hand held up and palms out, began firing at Harry. And when a member from their own party yelled "Stop" they witnessed these same two men turn and aim their pistols towards those sitting in the neighboring bungalow, and after a pause to return their aim and continued firing at Harry, and then flee the Lodge out the front gates. They all stated that at no time during those many hours and during the observed interactions or even during the confrontation and murder, where these two men's faces ever covered or obscured.

The Doyle party tell a slightly different story. They told the investigators that two men walked up to the bungalow begged for food, that they got into a scuffle with Harry and then shot him and fled the Lodge. That they could not identify the two shooters because their faces were covered. That they had never seen or known these two shooters before that incident. That they did not clean up around the crime scene by removing dishes or drinking glasses, and did not pick up anything from around the crime scene before the EMTs and PNP investigators arrived on the scene..

The prosecution witnesses have given their testimony and were properly cross-examined. The two sisters of Harry Doyle have taken the stand, and I also took the stand and testified and was properly cross-examined by both defense attorneys. one of the PNP investigators as well as the lead S.O.C.O. investigator has taken the stand. Now the only State witnesses left is the lead PNP investigator, the PNP official who conducted the autopsy, and I believe the PNP officer who actually conducted the ballistic tests. Then if no further date is required to complete the testimonies, than the prosecution rests and turns the floor over to the defense. Then the defense will present their own witnesses who will be cross-examined. It should be quite interesting as this case continues to unfold.. This case against these two suspects is expected to end and the judges ruling made before the end of this year. Now everyone must wait and see if the other brother, who is a suspect in the Murder, is also captured; and see if Canada will send.the wife back to face the charges against her. So their may be more trials in the near future. That too should be quite interesting. This whole case has been a web of ironies, and a prime example of how real life can be far stranger than fiction. Did the wife do it? Is she innocent? Is she just as much of a victim as Harry? Did she actually commit the perfect crime? Did she have her husband brutally murdered and with everyone knowing she is guilty, still be able to simply live out her days untouched by the long arm of justice, and spend the rest of her days as a rich Canadian citizen spending Harry's small fortune all while living in Harry's home town? What about Harry and his family, will they every feel they got justice? Did Surigao City PNP do all they could do? Did the Philippines do all they could do? Did Canada do all they could do? Will true justice prevail in the end? Will this case prove to be the death of me? I guess we will all just have wait and watch to see as time unfolds.

Me I just want to put this whole mess behind me so I can get my life back on tract as this has been a serious burden on my family over the last 3+ years. My only reward is knowing I did something for a man I once call a friend, knowing damn well that he would have never done the same for me. Talking about being a total dumbass.... If there is a lesson in all of this I would have to say it is pick your friends wisely

• Like 5

jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Update:

I will post when next I have any information which can be posted.

Good morning Gunny (SoCal time),

It's really good to hear from you again.  Sounds like those two lowlifes had a solid history of violent behavior.  I'm just wondering how they can afford to hire powerful but incompetent lawyers.  Are they well connected?  Are they part of the three G's (Guns, Goons and Gold)?

As always, watch your six Marine.  Respectfully -- Jake

These two boys seem to have been busy. Jerome Devocion is involved in 4 separate court cases. I know that Jane Doyle is hiring Atty. Zerda to represent him in three of those cases. I do not know about the forth case which is the shooting and stabbing death of a retired PNP Major. Jeffery Parian has three cases ongoing and I believe that he only has a public defender representing him in those cases.

From what I was told Jeffery Parian is part of a family of brother who are all contract hitters. That the Parian brothers are connected to two other families known locally as the "3-Kings" They primarily contract out their services to local politicians and businessmen but perhaps do contract hits for those with the cash to pay for their services. If you got the Guns and Gold then these guys are happy to be your goons.

Holy Cow ..James

How you keep track of all this is quite amazing.

wishing you all the best

You almost need a scorecard and a track report. It is a lot to track and keep straight but it helps also knowing most of the people and players involved around these three cases, and being as this has occupied so much of my life over the last 3 years and the fact I have somehow found myself to be a sort of a go-between or conduit between Harry’s Canadian family, Harry, Atty. Casurra and the PNP for collecting and sending needed documents and messages, etc. I have a rather good grasp of the intricacies involved around these cases. I will be glad when this is all over. There are still two suspects presently at large, one is the brother of Jeffery Parian (Johnny Parian) and Jane Doyle. Both have standing arrest warrants in the Philippines so if either or both Johnny and Jane are captured and returned to Surigao City there will be additional trials for those two as well. I really do not know if all the witnesses will have to go back through all of this again, but I see it as being rather likely to be a reality.

Any news you can tell about trying to make the wife being forced to go back to the Philippines?

Yes I talked with Atty. Casurra on this very subject just last week. Two weeks ago Atty. Casurra traveled up to Camp Crommie, Manila and went to the offices of the D.O.J.. They told him that the paperwork is being processes, and they had been also contacted by the Canadian Embassy requesting an update and progress of the Extradition documents, arrest warrant and master case file. So the D.O.J. is being watched from both the top and the bottom. I expect these requested documents will be passed over to the office of INTERPOL soon as they are the ones who will be tasked with forwarding these documents to Ottawa.

As this case is ongoing in the courts right now I suspect the D.O.J. is trying to insure all the prosecution witnesses have testified, been cross-examined and the court transcripts are included in the master case file befor being sent. This is to insure all the evidence has been properly presented before the court allowing an extradition judge to have all the known facts before him. I believe they do not want possible important facts and information trickling the proper channels were they can be delayed or lost. With luck the prosecution will be able to finish up after these July hearing later this month.

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thank you, James. 

The problems with extradition from Canada are enlightening.

Another case in which a child born to the Filipina wife of a Caucasian husband turns out to be 100% Filipino due to an error in in vitro fertilisation may be found here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Moynihan

http://www.publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld199697/ldhansrd/vo970320/text/70320-03.htm

Edited by Methersgate
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
jamesmusslewhite
Posted
Posted

Two Updates:

1.) Harry Doyle case: The hearing dates of July 23, 24 and 27 had to be reset for July 11 and 12. The judge had to file a “Leave of Absence”, the reason is unknown to me. This case is nearing the end of the prosecution phase as most of the prosecution witnesses have taken the stand and have been properly cross-examined by the defense attorneys. It is my understanding only three State witnesses remain for the prosecution. Once these final State witnesses take the stand and are properly cross-examined by the defense attorneys, then Att. Casurra will rest his case; at that time the court will then schedule hearing dates so the defense attorneys can begin to present the first of their witnesses.

2.) Arnel Shooting case: The case filed against    Jerome Devocian for the attempted murder of Arnel Sidon (Harry Doyle’s former driver/bodyguard) is coming to a close. Jerome Devocian’s lawyer Atty. Zerda was a no-show in the courtroom today. Atty. Zerda was in during the last scheduled hearing was he was informed that today’s hearing would be his final and last day to present his last witness. Today he failed to do so. The judge now gives Atty. Zerda 10 days to present his evidence, at which time Atty. Zerda must rest his case and the case then goes into the final stage which is the “Judge’s Ruling”. I was told by Atty. A.S. Cassura, who is the special prosecutor representing the Canadian family of Harry Doyle, that this final process is usually 3 months.  Atty. A.S. Casurra is also a professor of law to the local law school here in Surigao City. As he explained the process to me, once the Defense rest their case the case file is closed and then goes to the judge presiding over the case; he then has 3 months to proper review the case, weight all the evidence and make his final decision as to guilt or innocence.    

• Like 4

HarryBeatMeAtTennis
Posted
Posted

Kinda like the opposite of Stalin's Justice where the punishment was doled out before the crime was committed. I don't know much about court matters either here or where you now reside but all the parties have plenty of time to mull over their next move.

Hope you Mariculture project has gained traction