Moving Back To The Us Was The Best Decision I Ever Made

Travis
Posted
Posted

I hope the mods will allow my post to stay since many of you will find it very negative but I am only speaking from my heart. to me the Philippines is mostly a piss hole for foreign men who could never find a woman where they came from & for those guys who cannot afford to live where they came from & for guys who are married to Filipinas. but living there means downgrading for most & it meant me going from a big place to a 1 room apartment in order to live cheaply.

I am sorry but I gave up a lot to try to live within my budget & here I do not have to give up anything & could even live on my social security alone & have been & bank most of my earnings so why would anyone want to live in the Philippines is beyond my comprahension. so why do you live there? I have taken some time since moving back to the US to realize just how lucky Americans are compared to many others.

yes America is no longer the great place I grew up but it is still 100 times better then Cebu could ever be. lets face it the Philippines is a filthy dirty place filled with people who were never taught first world manners so they pee on walls & litter all over the place & blow snot & spit anywhere they happen to be & on top of that they cough & sneeze on anyone who is near them. the water is not drinkable & full of sediment & a lot of the food is stored improperly coz they do not have any health standards. people there drive like crazy people & few follow the laws so even crossing a street was very dangerous & I almost got run over a few times during my year + stay. the taxis are old & sh&tty & falling apart & the drivers almost always have colds & coughs so maybe TB. the beggars & street vendors & terible sidewalsk make walking around a pain in the ass & the only good things I see about the Philippines is the wonderful malls & the many smiling faces & also the many pretty girls so girl watching or girl playing is easy for almost anyone coz I saw some pretty girls walking around with some pretty ugly & fat guys so if they can get a pretty & fit girl then anyone could but beyond that I find it hard to think what other qualities life in the Philippines would have for any American. even the pollution was hell. I will limit my comments to Americans because I know about the US & some of the Philippines but not much about other countries but would love to learn.

so I ask each & everyone of you what besides the women do you see in the Philippines that is good about it? sorry but I cannot find hardly any good words to say about my life there so I am very happy to be here where thing make sense & people act like people except some of the damned foreigners who have moved here from their own sh&t hole countries oh & to make a disclaimer so I do not offend all Filipinos I do not mean all are like that & I did meet some nice Filipinos who had good manners but they were the minority & the majority I met must not have been taught manners. I also met a few foreigners who seemed like good guys but most I saw around were low life trash who could never survive in the US so I am glad they are there & hope they stay there coz this place is better off without them.peace all & as Art always says I am now a happy camper here in the USA

• Like 4

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well, you say you are a happy camper, but I do not think so. You seem to be rather negative in your views. So by this time next year, you will have complaints about where you live now. I, by my own choice, spend a lot of time out on Samar and deal daily with the squatters. I could post here and elsewhere all the bad things I see and negative things about the local people.... but I don't. I actually LIKE the squatters and while there are some things I would change if I were king..... I mostly accept the locals as they are and have fun! So good bye and I wish you well in your move!

• Like 4

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Well Travis, you said a sh&t full of truths! Even with all your negative comments about the Philippines, it's understandable why you feel the way you do, because you just didn't have the adequate income to live the way you wanted to here in the P.I.! We're still "happy campers" here in the Philippines, because it's our roots and we live in a nice area that suits us just fine! "Life is what we all make it to be" and "It's always a matter of money"! Now that you are back in the U.S. and have a lady friend half your age, hope you live a long and happy life and maybe you can see things in a better light without any more bitter complaints in life!

• Like 5

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

The restaurant food is inexpensive when a person knows where to eat. Most of the local people are very friendly and helpful.The malls are excellent and quite a few are better than any I have seen in the US, Makati comes to mind.The movies are inexpensive.Taxis in Cebu are old as you say but inexpensive to take, yet we found Taxis in CDO were mostly new and still inexpensive to take.Jeepneys are very inexpensive to take between places.Flights within the country are reasonable.Free incoming calls and text on cell phones, and reasonable unlimited phone call deals within carrier.Inexpensive cable TV and it has gotten better over time since they now even have Fox News.Inexpensive water and inexpensive drinking water.Inexpensive phone and DSL deals.Most businesses treat us with a high degree of respect. I am sure there are many other good things I could think of, so while there is a lot of bad, things have gotten much better in the last 17 plus years that I have been going back and forth, and there is also a lot of good, and the most important good to me, is that my wife was born there. Travis I think you got a bad rap because you did not know the language and some people tried to take advantage of you, and as Art said you were living on a tight budget, so you had to find it hard to live. The Philippines is no paradise but it is like stepping back in time, and many of us find that refreshing in this often crazy world. I am sure having my wife along with me makes life much easier for me, so my view might be different than yours based on that alone. I hope others will post the good they find in the Philippines.

• Like 5

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Since I am fairly new to this forum and have not followed Travis for long. I wonder what it was you expected when you came to the Philippines that was a lie or was it that you did not really do your research before you relocated to the Philippines?. While I agree with many of the things you have complained about here in the Philippines, I have not run into anything in my time here that has totally taken me by suprise and things are pretty much as what I expected and researched for the year or so before I moved to the Philippines. I will admit that I am one of the folks that came to the Philippines as a single male but have now married and have a wonderful relationship with my filipina wife. Would I be like Travis if I had not met and married my wife? That is a very difficult question to answer but that being said I too am having thoughts of returning to the US and going back to work until I am able to draw my social security to pretty much double my limited fixed income that we are living on now. My thoughts are not to abandon the Philippines because I hate it, it is the idea of going back to work and banking as much money as possible for a return to the Philippines to have a better life than we do now. Anywhere you land is what you make of it. not what it makes of you!

• Like 3

Inspector
Posted
Posted (edited)

Travis is spot on....and here are filipono's writing about this. Even filipinos realize this.

The onion skinned nature of some Filipinos reappears once again to demonstrate how ignorant some people can be. When comedian and former cable TV host Adam Carolla poked fun at Manny Pacquiao and his pathetic bandwagon fans, a mob of ignorant Filipinos quickly formed, and is now on a war path with a foreigner who has allegedly done the country injustice.

He says he doesn’t give blood a week before the fight because it weakens him. I am gonna tell you if that was a white fighter or a black fighter from Atlanta, someone will say “What the Eff are you talking about, just give him your blood”. .. He’s a bloody idiot!
Here’s how you know when your country doesn’t have a lot going for it: When everything is about Manny Pacquiao.”
“Imagine this — what if Ray boom boom Mancini went to the Philippines to fight.. and then all that was all the United States was all about… the Unites States will close down when he would fight,… then when he’d come back here — he’d run for President - then everything will be Boom Boom Mancini mania.”
“Get a fu**in life as a country”
“All you fu**in got is just an illiterate guy who happens to smash other guys in the head better than other people”
“It’s fine to be proud of your countrymen — but that’s it? Get your sh&t together Philippines — That’s all you got? “
“It pisses me off when other countries just do that whole thing. There’s one guy, he’s 5 foot 6, he’s 147 pounds, and he’s good at punching other guys in the head, and you’re gonna build your entire country around this guy?”
“Really, you want some guy with brain damage running your country? Why don’t you get your sh*t together?”
“What happens when Floyd Mayweather beats him? Does your country go into depression?”
“You don’t build your life around LeBron James or Tiger Woods.”

Anti Pinoy...about time somebody speaks up as the country will never prosper until people speak the truth Great blog written by ffilipinos, yes, the anti pinoy web site is all the bashing you can read and a breath of fresh air knowing that their are citizens here who not only realize the place is umm...third world, but are trying to do something about it. WHY ARE FILIPINOS SO IMPRESSED WITH SHAMCEY SUPSUP WHEN SHE IS CLEARLY A BIMBO? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQdhMSEqhfg Bimbo alert Don't be too into these MISS things...they are basically dumb asses all over the world who win these things. And yet more filipino on filipino bashing
It is what it is.The number one reason why the Philippines suck, is because it is what it frigging is.
That seems to be the attitude ...an attitude that will never change the Philippines from being what it is.
Filipinos learn to deal with a lot of things. Suffering seems to be a part of our genetic makeup, so we laugh and smile and wave at the camera even as the flash floods are sweeping away houses behind us. When something tragic happens, we grieve for awhile and we are angry, but we put them all behind us to prepare for the next tragedy we know is lurking on the horizon.We’re a hopeful people, optimistic. We always believe that change is going to happen tomorrow if we wait long enough. We’re so busy waiting for other people to change we don’t think about changing first. We don’t realize that the change that can happen tomorrow should be the change happening today.Because we’re a prickly sort of folk. We don’t like to admit things when we’re in the wrong. We blame it on outside environments and external factors; we blame our poverty and our economy and our government, but we don’t blame ourselves. So when other countries call us out on our flaws, we are quick to always give offense, to make excuses about how this is not our fault.
As a foreigner living here, I can only stand back and observe...chuckle. As a foreigner, we can complain as Travis is doing, but the culture of the filipino will NEVER admit to a foreigner what they know...it's face. So, until more filipinos stop suggesting it is what it is, and write what it is...SUCKS, I don't expect to do anything more other then sit back, observe and giggle in total disbelief. Edited by Inspector
  • Like 1

sjp52
Posted
Posted

I think if the Philippines was not the way it is we as foreigners would not be coming here. If it was a 1st world country the women would not be giving us old guys a second look. I for one would not be traveling to the other side of the planet just to pay the same prices as in my home country. I can live with the frustrations and incompetence but I hate the target on my back. As for Travis hating it here, His problems were small budget and no social support group. I for one feel that if you want to enjoy yourself here in the Philippines you need to have a few foreigner friends that you can call up and say hey lets do something together. We all love our wives and girlfriends but no one should spend 24/7 with the same person all the time. I love the Filipino people but conversations with most leave a little to be desired ( just because of the language issues ) and every once in a while its nice to talk with some one who is a little worldly. You can pick where you want to live in the Philippines ( of course budget limited ) The dirty city or clean air country side, a subdivision or a condo up in the sky and after a while you will hardly notice the filth ( most of the time ) or maybe it just doesn,t bother you as much

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted

Well Inspector.... I think you missed the entire point that Travis was making. WHich is NOT about pointing out the obvious issues in the Philippines, but his own inadaquacies in coping with the reality of his life in the Phiippines...... As for the Pacquiao bashing quotes above, you again missed what he represents... which is HOPE to the Pinoy population at large. As for him being President one day, he, like similar others in the world's history, is simply a figure head. He has handlers that will be the actual governing force, using his popularity to organize the masses to follow along with the party line. Time will tell how things work out. But in any event.... Travis is gone and life in the Philippines continues.... Wish Travis well in his future ventures....

• Like 3

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Well Inspector.... I think you missed the entire point that Travis was making. WHich is NOT about pointing out the obvious issues in the Philippines, but his own inadaquacies in coping with the reality of his life in the Phiippines...... As for the Pacquiao bashing quotes above, you again missed what he represents... which is HOPE to the Pinoy population at large. As for him being President one day, he, like similar others in the world's history, is simply a figure head. He has handlers that will be the actual governing force, using his popularity to organize the masses to follow along with the party line. Time will tell how things work out. But in any event.... Travis is gone and life in the Philippines continues.... Wish Travis well in his future ventures....
Well Bruce, I try to avoid insulting fellow posters if I disagree, as the site clearly says we should never flame others. Bringing up Travis and his "personality" issues, and his unwillingness to be happy anywhere is a simple opinion you have regarding his personality that is not only lacking factual basis (he clearly states he is happy now)...but I am not sure if that personal drive by attack was warranted in regards to what is allowed on this site. The entire point...was certainly NOT about Travis's "inadequacies" but what Travis dislike about a country, it's "inadequacies", according to foreigner that lived in the Philippines, Cebu... for a year plus. As far as the quotes about manny, these were not my quotes, nor was the filipino responses to them being mine. I was simply posting what other filipono's are suggesting in regards to what what a Travis says about the Philippines, and that being spot on...and why foreigners are always called racists if and when they suggest what is known by many here.