Moving Back To The Us Was The Best Decision I Ever Made

ekimswish
Posted
Posted
It never fails to amaze me how a post about the Philippines pros and cons on this forum always fails to mention some of its natural beauty, world class beaches, and things like that. You guys all stay in Cebu or some other mall-centered city, and maybe visit the wife's family in the boondocks once in a while. But when I talk to people my age who've been to the Philippines, or Taiwanese and Koreans who went as tourists, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BEACHES AND VACATION SPOTS! Too much dependence on shopping malls with food courts for most westerners to appreciate what the Philippines is really supposed to be all about.
That's far from what you think Mike, because a lot of us old timers have been there and done all what you have described in our younger days! We're not as young as we used to be and are no longer adventurous, because it's our time to kick back and relax in our old age! We all just settled in our places of choice or where our wives are all from! Most of us old timers have seen more naturally beauty than most younger people with just back packing the world on foot! So don't assume anything just because you didn't read it here on this forum! As we get older, we just get forgetful as times to share what we have all experienced in our past lives and just your comments alone, just rekindled those memories and some members just may share their adventures when they were young and adventurous, just start a new topic as to not get off topic with the OP it was intended for!
I never meant that you guys never did anything adventurous or don't appreciate nature. I just mean that no one ever mentions what the Philippines is really famous for. If you look at travel brochures, it's all about beaches, water sports, or jungle treks and stuff. But when people talk about the pros and cons, the only pros are how it IS similar to American life - but cheaper - and the cons are how it ISN'T like American life, or IS but is NOT cheaper. I always assumed a forum intended for expats in the Philippines would have its share of resort and dive shop owners, but maybe they have their own forums dive-related. I dunno. I just hear "shopping mall" and wanna vomit. If I never set foot in another shopping mall (regardless of country) for the rest of my life, I'd probably live several months longer, preferably near a secluded white sand Filipino beach.
Excellent point Mike (Ekimswish), My favorite playground has always been in or near any body of water. I once took my Jeep Wranglerdown this secluded mountain road to check out a launch site for windsurfing near Puerto Galera inMindoro. Unfortunately it started to rain again, in which the Jeep was buried in flowing mud up to theaxle. Frustrated, I had Judy give it a try as I placed rocks, coconut shells and tree branches under therear wheels to give them some traction. Finally she pulled it out (the Jeep...he, he) and I yelled at herto keep going up that hill. She left me stuck in the mud, slipping and sliding as I try to gain my footage. Little did I know that a villager was mad at us for creating deep ruts in his "personal driveway". I couldhear his profanity when I finally made it up that hill with Judy. She busted up laughing at me becauseevery square inch of me was covered with mud. We stopped at the nearest bar and had some beersbefore 9AM. I was eventually pressure washed later that afternoon along with my Jeep, feeling contentwith more San Magoo as we witnessed a double rainbow for the first time in my life. It's those moments in life of unforgettable adventure in the tropical paradise called the Philippines. Icould just imagine Ekimswish still playing basketball in the driving rain in Leyte..... Respectfully -- Jake
You sound like a Canadian getting his car out of snow after a blizzard! lol... That was an awesome story, and one you would never have had in the city. If you want city, there are far better countries in the world. But if you want "the Philippines," there's only one and the further you get from the city centers, the better it becomes. hey, no hypocrite here, I love the cheap movie theater prices.
  • Like 2

Travis
Posted
Posted
cheers to you 2 Art I envy you
Don't envy me, emulate me! "It's just a matter of money, patience and time"!
& luck & smarts enough to get a job with a pension in the first place. kids growing up in todays world will not have that chance unless they make it for themselves
  • Like 3