Moving Back To The Us Was The Best Decision I Ever Made

Bruce
Posted
Posted
Well Inspector.... I think you missed the entire point that Travis was making. WHich is NOT about pointing out the obvious issues in the Philippines, but his own inadaquacies in coping with the reality of his life in the Phiippines...... As for the Pacquiao bashing quotes above, you again missed what he represents... which is HOPE to the Pinoy population at large. As for him being President one day, he, like similar others in the world's history, is simply a figure head. He has handlers that will be the actual governing force, using his popularity to organize the masses to follow along with the party line. Time will tell how things work out. But in any event.... Travis is gone and life in the Philippines continues.... Wish Travis well in his future ventures....
Well Bruce, I try to avoid insulting fellow posters if I disagree, as the site clearly says we should never flame others. Bringing up Travis and his "personality" issues, and his unwillingness to be happy anywhere is a simple opinion you have regarding his personality that is not only lacking factual basis (he clearly states he is happy now)...but I am not sure if that personal drive by attack was warranted in regards to what is allowed on this site. The entire point...was certainly NOT about Travis's "inadequacies" but what Travis dislike about a country, it's "inadequacies", according to foreigner that lived in the Philippines, Cebu... for a year plus. As far as the quotes about manny, these were not my quotes, nor was the filipino responses to them being mine. I was simply posting what other filipono's are suggesting in regards to what what a Travis says about the Philippines, and that being spot on...and why foreigners are always called racists if and when they suggest what is known by many here.
Well, you seem to be taking Travis at face value when he says he is 'happy now'. However, his choice of words make me believe otherwise. I don't get the impression he is a happy kind of guy! (neither am I) Travis seems to be angry. Travis posted what he did in the way he did to get a response from people! And my response was to wish him well! Not a drive by at all. You posted what you did in the way you did to get your own response from othe forum members. And I responded. I really do not see the point of pointing out the negative realities of the Pinoy population any more that it make any sense to point that India is way over populated. We all know this. No need to make an issue of it. But I do say that you do seem to be quite well in command of the retrival of past posts and your editing skills seem to be on the professional level.... well beyond my skills. In my opinion, this site, UNLIKE the ranters forum (now that would be a hint), is basically a positive forum offering a wide variety of information to an ever changing group of viewers. I see no value in trying to beat down the Philippine people just because a foreigner came and did not adjust well and then left to go back home. That really is not helping anyone who may be wanting to try the move for themselves..... And that, to me, seems to be the focus of this forum.... unlike say... that RANTERS FORUM.... oh? Was that another hint? Perhaps Travis could post again in more details as to where and when he had issues and if he did anything to contribute to the issues or their outcomes. Sort of a de-briefing by a guy leaving to the guys arriving as to better handle their own experiences.... That seems to a positive thing that might mesh well with the form in general. After all, we are not here to point fingers or accuse others, no, we are above all that! We are here to provide information to other who are looking to visit the land of the Pinay....
  • Like 3

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Bruce, what Travis posted was real life issues most of us have had if you are in the Philippines long enough to see them. I and many others are also bothered by many of the issues but for my wife's sake, I overlook a lot of what goes on, as I do in the US, or I would be miserable all the time. While I agree with Inspector and Travis on many of the points, I choose to try to see some of the positive things about the Philippines as well, so that was why I posted the positive in my reply above to his questions about why we are in the Philippines. Now to tell it like it is, if it were not for my wife, the wonderful ladies that we consider our daughters, and some friends I have made along the way, I would probably only visit the Philippines once ever few years for a few weeks and not live there part of the year. because while some things have improved, a lot has also deteriorated, mostly due to the world crisis. The Philippines is what it is, and while it was my plan to move there full time once I reached 62, I am now past 63 and putting it off for a while, or maybe forever.

• Like 3

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
I can identify with Travis for not getting what he expected out of the Philippine experience, but the opening post sounds like a classic Aesop fable: A very hungry fox ('Expat') walked into a vineyard (Philippines') where there was an ample supply of luscious looking grapes ('girls'). Grapes had never looked so good, and the fox was famished. However, the grapes hung higher ('were more expensive') than the fox could reach. He jumped and stretched and hopped and reached and jumped some more trying to get those yummy grapes, but to no avail. No matter what he tried, he could not reach the grapes. He wore himself out jumping and jumping to get the grapes. "Those grapes surely must be sour," he said as he walked away, "I wouldn't eat them if they were served to me on a silver platter."
Good one Dave to put it mildly as to not offend a lot of old farts in that position! Or is it just old age that makes one bitter or the numerous bitter divorces or relationships one has gone through over the years? Women, can't live with them or without them and it's cheaper to keep them if one can put up with them! Some didn't and that's maybe why some are bitter!
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
The restaurant food is inexpensive when a person knows where to eat. Most of the local people are very friendly and helpful.The malls are excellent and quite a few are better than any I have seen in the US, Makati comes to mind.The movies are inexpensive.Taxis in Cebu are old as you say but inexpensive to take, yet we found Taxis in CDO were mostly new and still inexpensive to take.Jeepneys are very inexpensive to take between places.Flights within the country are reasonable.Free incoming calls and text on cell phones, and reasonable unlimited phone call deals within carrier.Inexpensive cable TV and it has gotten better over time since they now even have Fox News.Inexpensive water and inexpensive drinking water.Inexpensive phone and DSL deals.Most businesses treat us with a high degree of respect. I am sure there are many other good things I could think of, so while there is a lot of bad, things have gotten much better in the last 17 plus years that I have been going back and forth, and there is also a lot of good, and the most important good to me, is that my wife was born there. Travis I think you got a bad rap because you did not know the language and some people tried to take advantage of you, and as Art said you were living on a tight budget, so you had to find it hard to live. The Philippines is no paradise but it is like stepping back in time, and many of us find that refreshing in this often crazy world. I am sure having my wife along with me makes life much easier for me, so my view might be different than yours based on that alone. I hope others will post the good they find in the Philippines.
One will never forget the cost of corn flakes :nudie:
  • Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

Oh I get it! This topic came about because of the cost of corn flakes and the sugar frosted kind wasn't even mentioned! So, it made a lot of old farts bitter and grumpy, because they didn't have their corn flakes for breakfast everyday! If it wasn't about money, it would be something else for a bitter grumpy old fart to complain about! :nudie:

Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 2

Inspector
Posted
Posted
Well Inspector.... I think you missed the entire point that Travis was making. WHich is NOT about pointing out the obvious issues in the Philippines, but his own inadaquacies in coping with the reality of his life in the Phiippines...... As for the Pacquiao bashing quotes above, you again missed what he represents... which is HOPE to the Pinoy population at large. As for him being President one day, he, like similar others in the world's history, is simply a figure head. He has handlers that will be the actual governing force, using his popularity to organize the masses to follow along with the party line. Time will tell how things work out. But in any event.... Travis is gone and life in the Philippines continues.... Wish Travis well in his future ventures....
Well Bruce, I try to avoid insulting fellow posters if I disagree, as the site clearly says we should never flame others. Bringing up Travis and his "personality" issues, and his unwillingness to be happy anywhere is a simple opinion you have regarding his personality that is not only lacking factual basis (he clearly states he is happy now)...but I am not sure if that personal drive by attack was warranted in regards to what is allowed on this site. The entire point...was certainly NOT about Travis's "inadequacies" but what Travis dislike about a country, it's "inadequacies", according to foreigner that lived in the Philippines, Cebu... for a year plus. As far as the quotes about manny, these were not my quotes, nor was the filipino responses to them being mine. I was simply posting what other filipono's are suggesting in regards to what what a Travis says about the Philippines, and that being spot on...and why foreigners are always called racists if and when they suggest what is known by many here.
Well, you seem to be taking Travis at face value when he says he is 'happy now'. However, his choice of words make me believe otherwise. I don't get the impression he is a happy kind of guy! (neither am I) Travis seems to be angry. Travis posted what he did in the way he did to get a response from people! And my response was to wish him well! Not a drive by at all. You posted what you did in the way you did to get your own response from othe forum members. And I responded. I really do not see the point of pointing out the negative realities of the Pinoy population any more that it make any sense to point that India is way over populated. We all know this. No need to make an issue of it. But I do say that you do seem to be quite well in command of the retrival of past posts and your editing skills seem to be on the professional level.... well beyond my skills. In my opinion, this site, UNLIKE the ranters forum (now that would be a hint), is basically a positive forum offering a wide variety of information to an ever changing group of viewers. I see no value in trying to beat down the Philippine people just because a foreigner came and did not adjust well and then left to go back home. That really is not helping anyone who may be wanting to try the move for themselves..... And that, to me, seems to be the focus of this forum.... unlike say... that RANTERS FORUM.... oh? Was that another hint? Perhaps Travis could post again in more details as to where and when he had issues and if he did anything to contribute to the issues or their outcomes. Sort of a de-briefing by a guy leaving to the guys arriving as to better handle their own experiences.... That seems to a positive thing that might mesh well with the form in general. After all, we are not here to point fingers or accuse others, no, we are above all that! We are here to provide information to other who are looking to visit the land of the Pinay....
I'm not taking anyone at face value Bruce. Travis stated an opinion, and that was that. You proceeded to assume Travis would have issues anywhere in your Dr Phil impersonation, when I simply find analyzing a poster beyond my area of expertise, and simply settle into analyzing the actual post itself. That post, consisted of a negative opinion of the Philippines, which is hardly in need of being moved to a , hint...ranters forum. The last time I looked, the ranters forum was not the ....negative only forum. I would find this site doing a great misdeed of informative justice if it became a unicorn and stuffed animals eating cotton candy fairy tale filipine forum, where our words were censored whenever a poster dared say anything a Bruce would consider "bashing". We owe to any and all living here, as well as those planning on living, or even visiting, to provide ALL information, good and the bad. I find that odd I even need to suggest this. If this is a personal issue with Travis, as it can be construed, then I would suggest, hint...you yourself take it to the ranters forum, where you can flame away at Travis and his personal inadequacies. For the record, I like pissing anywhere as well.

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

The corn flakes Tom posted about was because in the cost of living thread, I made a post about how much less corn flakes were here in Florida than in Cebu. Now while many seem to feel that may be a trivial item to post about, a lot of expats may end up full of crap if they do not get their fiber. :nudie: Well maybe we have hit on the reason that a lot of them are full of crap. :thumbsup: So maybe more need to eat their corn flakes/fiber to empty out faster. I know I need to eat my fiber all the time because many people tell me that I am full of it :lol: but darn it, even with eating my fiber, they still think I am. :(

• Like 2

Bruce
Posted
Posted
I'm not taking anyone at face value Bruce. Travis stated an opinion, and that was that. You proceeded to assume Travis would have issues anywhere in your Dr Phil impersonation, when I simply find analyzing a poster beyond my area of expertise, and simply settle into analyzing the actual post itself. That post, consisted of a negative opinion of the Philippines, which is hardly in need of being moved to a , hint...ranters forum. The last time I looked, the ranters forum was not the ....negative only forum. I would find this site doing a great misdeed of informative justice if it became a unicorn and stuffed animals eating cotton candy fairy tale filipine forum, where our words were censored whenever a poster dared say anything a Bruce would consider "bashing". We owe to any and all living here, as well as those planning on living, or even visiting, to provide ALL information, good and the bad. I find that odd I even need to suggest this. If this is a personal issue with Travis, as it can be construed, then I would suggest, hint...you yourself take it to the ranters forum, where you can flame away at Travis and his personal inadequacies. For the record, I like pissing anywhere as well.
I have far mor hair than Dr. Phil has... but he has far more money than I have.....Do you think he would trade???? If I remember, that was the basis of a B&W era Twilight Zone episode... As for me analyzing Travis in instead his post, that is what is did. Travis and his post are one in the same. How better to know the man than to listen to what he says. Although the actual words may not be as important as to listening to WHAT he is saying, not how he says it. As for part of Art2ro post above, I think he made a very good point about women..... Try to find one that puts up with your nasty foreigner habits rather than the prettiest Pinay that will pay attention to you. Find one from an economic background that you can support.

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

I respect Travis stating his experiences and opinion. For him Philippines was not a good fit to say the least.I love the Philippines but would not chose to live there full time. We have young children. Philippines is not a good place to bring up children in our opinion. We have family and friends who we love very much living there so living there part time would be our choice.

• Like 2