Moving Back To The Us Was The Best Decision I Ever Made

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The corn flakes Tom posted about was because in the cost of living thread, I made a post about how much less corn flakes were here in Florida than in Cebu. Now while many seem to feel that may be a trivial item to post about, a lot of expats may end up full of crap if they do not get their fiber. :nudie: Well maybe we have hit on the reason that a lot of them are full of crap. :thumbsup: So maybe more need to eat their corn flakes/fiber to empty out faster. I know I need to eat my fiber all the time because many people tell me that I am full of it :lol: but darn it, even with eating my fiber, they still think I am. :(
Corn Flakes are very low in fiber, less then 1 gr and also contain HFCS. With the exception of the sugar-coated cereals they are one of the worst. I swiched to corn flakes when I came here because I couldn't find my old one, Total, anywhere here. Switching to Nestle Fitness (whole grain) tomorrow.
  • Like 1

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted
The corn flakes Tom posted about was because in the cost of living thread, I made a post about how much less corn flakes were here in Florida than in Cebu. Now while many seem to feel that may be a trivial item to post about, a lot of expats may end up full of crap if they do not get their fiber. :nudie: Well maybe we have hit on the reason that a lot of them are full of crap. :thumbsup: So maybe more need to eat their corn flakes/fiber to empty out faster. I know I need to eat my fiber all the time because many people tell me that I am full of it :lol: but darn it, even with eating my fiber, they still think I am. :(
Corn Flakes are very low in fiber, less then 1 gr and also contain HFCS. With the exception of the sugar-coated cereals they are one of the worst. I swiched to corn flakes when I came here because I couldn't find my old one, Total, anywhere here. Switching to Nestle Fitness (whole grain) tomorrow.
Now I know why I am still full of it. :(
  • Like 2

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)
I respect Travis stating his experiences and opinion. For him Philippines was not a good fit to say the least.I love the Philippines but would not chose to live there full time. We have young children. Philippines is not a good place to bring up children in our opinion. We have family and friends who we love very much living there so living there part time would be our choice.
Thank you TRAVIS for your post. You said some things that was the "UGLY TRUTH"again TRAVIS , thank you for telling at least me,How you experienced living here, this may open others eyes to see that this is NOT A PARADISE, About Children, it may not be the "best" place to raise them..BUT I think it will offer them a GREAT LEARNING Experience that MANY US children will never havethat itself is priceless. which they will be able to share with others in life,(for life) QUOTE from BRUCE As for part of Art2ro post above, I think he made a very good point about women..... Try to find one that puts up with your nasty foreigner habits rather than the prettiest Pinay that will pay attention to you. Find one from an economic background that you can support. YES BRUCE & ART i too agree with your post,FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN tolerate you & support,, (not the whole family). NOT the most prettiest or sexy. Edited by ed villas
  • Like 2

Bundy
Posted
Posted
I respect Travis stating his experiences and opinion. For him Philippines was not a good fit to say the least. I love the Philippines but would not chose to live there full time. We have young children. Philippines is not a good place to bring up children in our opinion. We have family and friends who we love very much living there so living there part time would be our choice.
Thank you TRAVIS for your post. You said some things that was the "UGLY TRUTH" .again TRAVIS , thank you for telling at least me how you experienced living here, this may open others eyes to see that this is NOT A PARADISE, About Children, it may not be the "best" place to raise them.. BUT I think it will offer them a GREAT LEARNING Experience that MANY US children will never have,that is priceless. which they will be able to share with others in life, QUOTE from BRUCE As for part of Art2ro post above, I think he made a very good point about women..... Try to find one that puts up with your nasty foreigner habits rather than the prettiest Pinay that will pay attention to you. Find one from an economic background that you can support. YES BRUCE & ART i too agree with your post, FIND SOMEONE WHO CAN tolerate you & support. NOT the most prettiest or sexy.
Travis already made his initial mistake when he first got off the plane! He didn't have the adequate source of income to live his 1st world western lifestyle in Cebu! His bitter negative story after his first year here would probably have been of a positive one had he lived in a good area centrally located to everything he needed, had an adequate source of income and didn't have a helpless girlfriend who's family were a bunch of money sucking leeches! No one can succeed to live a happy life with those kinds of circumstances! No way, no how!
Oh well said Art! I have been following this thread but have not commented because even though i have spent a huge amount of time in the Phils over the last half of my lifetime, i have never actually lived there fulltime ( but we're working on that ) From my experiences, as well as money, the person's personality play a big part in determining how they can adapt to living there for any length of time.If you are the kind of person that knows everything, is forceful or domineering, doesn't like to be put out by anything or anyone etc etc, then it would surprise me if that kind would last anywhere near a year there. If you're moving from US or Australia etc, firstly you're not just moving to another state or town in your own country.You are moving to a 3rd world country and if you cannot accept all the differences that go along with that, then why would you even want to try? Is the Philippines right for everyone?......... ofcourse not, is it a paradise?........... no it is not. Far too many times i have met other foreigners there who continually complain and whinge about whatever annoys them there.It is my belief that these same people would also be complaining and whinging wherever they happen to be in the world. If you want a 1st world lifestyle i would suggest it may be more than a bit difficult to achieve in the Philippines so the sooner these people realise they can't make a foreign country change to suit themselves the better.
  • Like 4

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Who says one can not have a 1st world western lifestyle in the Philippines? My wife and I do, because life is what anyone makes it to be as long one has the adequate source of income! If we can do it, I’m sure others can do it too if that‘s their choice to do so, each to their own lifestyle! We are sort of living the “American Dream” here in the Philippines, except for the fact that we don’t yet own an expensive luxury vehicle like most of our well to do retired foreigner or rich Filipino neighbors! Who needs to keep up with the “Jones Family” anyway who likes to flaunt their wealth around? Not us! Hey I still drive a 1979 Toyota Corolla and proud of it, it gets us around from point A to point B and back, but just within a 25 mile radius, because I don't do any long distance driving here in the Philippines, just too many crazy drivers on the road or freeways! :)

• Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

By living a 1st world lifestyle Art, i was more referring to infrastructure of the country.Things which you cannot change.Things which are there and taken for granted in the US or Oz.

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)
By living a 1st world lifestyle Art, i was more referring to infrastructure of the country.Things which you cannot change.Things which are there and taken for granted in the US or Oz.
​ Infrastructures? There sure isn't a lot of those in the Philippines, just the old major airports being revamped, cites with their aging high rise buildings, numerous condo constructions all over the cities and certain provinces like Cebu, business districts trying to survive the local economy and newly built freeways, malls and newly developed modern suburban areas which do have 1st world lifestyles within certain regions of the Philippines, just have to know where to go and look, they're booming all over the Philippines! A lot of people want a piece of the pie, but at what costs? The way prices are going up, it may eventually be out of reach for some! And then again, the Philippines bubble may burst also making it affordable to a lot of people like what's happening in the U.S. when the housing market took a nose dive and so did the jobs too! So, it's up in the air now where one can afford to live, in the U.S. or the Philippines! I wish we could do both, but maintaining 2 households would be expensive and would cut into our savings big time! Edited by Art2ro
  • Like 1

Bundy
Posted
Posted

I have never been to the US but from all i've read and been told, it would seem a bit cheaper to live there than it is in Australia. As housing would be a large part of a budget i can tell you that a small 2 bedroom apartment here in country Queensland rents for around $1100 per month. In the bigger cities obviously much more than that.Yes i know prices are rising in The Philippines but they are also rising here just as fast. As soon as we sell our house here and wind up our farming commitments we will be retiring to Cebu. We definitely could not afford to retire and remain in Australia. The choice between home country and Philippines must be not quite so clear cut for Americans.