Australian Kidnapped

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Latest update from this PDI's article:

http://globalnation....s-seen-on-video

Australian kidnapped in Philippines seen on video

MANILA, Philippines — An Australian man held hostage by militants in the southern Philippines for more than a year has appeared in a video as proof that he is alive.

Warren Richard Rodwell said on the video that he is being held in isolation. He said he understands there are negotiations for his release under way but added, “I personally hold no hope at all for being released.”

He said he was kidnapped by the Abu Sayyaf, a notorious al-Qaida-linked group.

Philippine intelligence officials said Wednesday that they believe the video, which has been circulated on YouTube, is authentic.

Rodwell appeared thinner than in a previous video posted in January. He held a copy of a local newspaper dated Dec. 15 and said the recording was made the following day.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

He's getting more coverage through the news services than he is getting help to be free!

Americano
Posted
Posted (edited)

Evidently he is being kept inside all the time from the color of his skin. And, maybe they are keeping him cleaned shaved so he doesn't look so much like a foreigner, but from the gossip vine I'm sure everyone living in the area knows he is there.

Edited by Jollygoodfellow
- removed unjust comment.

• 5 months later...
Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

Another great story that keeps me away from the Philippines!

However, he is now free...after his Australian family paid lots of money.

ForADay
Posted
Posted

There is no reason for this story to keep you away from the Philippines Wallaby as this man was living in a well known and dangerous place for kidnappings.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted

There is no reason for this story to keep you away from the Philippines Wallaby as this man was living in a well known and dangerous place for kidnappings.

Exactly .... there are tons of other places to go to here in the Phils without going down south where people know you can get kidnapped ..... I mean why ask for trouble no matter how brave and tough you think you are .... 4-5 little Filipinos can easily over power a big man .... be smart know your limitations ....  :thumbsup:

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Americano
Posted
Posted

A lot of countries have dangerous areas but that doesn't keep people from visiting or living in the country. Its very simple you just stay out of the dangerous areas. That's one reason we have forums to keep us informed on where is dangerous to visit or live so we can avoid them. Many foreigners have lived out their remaining years in the Philippines and that's what I plan to do. 3 1/2 happy years so far.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

A lot of countries have dangerous areas but that doesn't keep people from visiting or living in the country. Its very simple you just stay out of the dangerous areas. That's one reason we have forums to keep us informed on where is dangerous to visit or live so we can avoid them. Many foreigners have lived out their remaining years in the Philippines and that's what I plan to do. 3 1/2 happy years so far.

Look...I went to America and that was probably bad enough.

But...as I am still in my 30s I think 3 or 4 years are not long enough to tell me that it's safe over there.

Where is it safe? Any decent statistics on total murders both general murders and foreigners only? Show some data, better if divided per each province so we can start comparing apples with apples.

I don't know how many of you have lived in Australia but murders here are extremely rare and if you mind your own business they are as rare as winning the lottery, while it seems that too many foreigners are seen there as the winning ticket.

I got a loads of hot beautiful and willing females, some may be not genuine but I believe most are...how come that here in Australia I don't get any decent even remotely similar interest from 20 or 30 something single girls while to most Filipino women I look like too good to be true? I am not bragging money, yes I am fairly good looking and athletic but in Australia I get some interest only from fat old bogans, which I would probably kill myself rather than go with any of those ones. Rarely they may be a little average but we are still way far from hot smoking young (as in early 20s) Filipinas.

It smells fishy to me.

Fast&Furious
Posted
Posted

What I'd like to point is that Americans won't probably see the big difference because they already have lots of guns (and gunshots) going around in their home country while in Australia it's extremely rare, there is way less crime...and if you live in the country areas then it feels like a place out of 100 years ago....kids playing on the roads till dark....homes left unlocked....fruit and flowers offered for sale unattended with a tin where buyers leave money if they buy them....I mean in many other countries they would probably steal everything...let alone pay for it!

Bruce
Posted
Posted

What I'd like to point is that Americans won't probably see the big difference because they already have lots of guns (and gunshots) going around in their home country while in Australia it's extremely rare, there is way less crime...and if you live in the country areas then it feels like a place out of 100 years ago....kids playing on the roads till dark....homes left unlocked....fruit and flowers offered for sale unattended with a tin where buyers leave money if they buy them....I mean in many other countries they would probably steal everything...let alone pay for it!

Well, speaking of your statement about 'a lot of gun shots'. You are correct! I really am dismayed about the lack of proper gun control... which is a FIRM grip and proper alignment of the sights on the intended target!

As to your statement about there being less crime Down Under... you need to deepen your research. Currently in the US, the NRA and other well noted researchers are using Oz's crime statistics and time lines of before the gun confiscation to after the gun confiscations to demonstrate that gun control ( taking guns away from the sheep, er, ah, people) does not lower crime, and in fact, often emboldens criminals who assume that YOU will offer little resistance if they rob, beat, fold, spindle and or mutilate you.  

Once of the more interesting things in anti gun politics in America is that 'they' continue to make the same type of mistakes over and over and over in their news releases. One would think they might want to stop embarrassing themselves, but they still continue to release false or doctored stats. EVERY anti gun press release that quotes any statistical data is jumped on by the pro 2nd amendment people and dissected and the source of the data quoted by the anti gun people is looked at contacted if there is a author and then a press release if sent out pointing out the incorrect information or now disproved information which may have come from 1987. 

It really is similar to the drug studies which may be rigged to support a new drug, but when a much larger population is used in the study, the rigged study comes apart as self serving. Same with the gun control people not realizing or ignoring that computers track everything and once they say some statistic such as what the crime stats are Down Under after the guns were taken, the researchers then have a solid trail to follow and to disprove the anti gun press release as simply more self serving but not factually correct data.  

So take another look at the crime stats Down Under and in the UK where the crime stats are getting even worse! But be careful with the UK comments, would not want to offend any recent immigrants, now would we? :36_6_3[1]:  :6:  :AddEmoticons04230:  :th_thanx:  :th_exactly:  :sign0095: