5 Minutes With Bob/sam/joe; What To Discuss/share

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted

Sometimes we see a Expat in the mall/store or a (bar/spa/massage )?? Many times we dont have time to talk or chat,If you had 5 minutes to chat or talk with a NEW EXPAT or even a LONG TIME resident.WHAT would information would you share or discuss?let me start...(Oh No I hope its not another agenda)1st I would ask how long he/she has been here? any problems/issues?Would discuss safety issues? Where to get the best exchange rate? how to get the best rate?(credit to Mr Lee ) What is the best bank to use ? (BPI)If they have a family, what are the better hospitals?(st lukes,Asian hospital,medical city)Doctors or dentists ?what about the local schools or "preschool" activities for the toddlers?(little gym/Gymboree)what stores have the "best" products? (S&R, UNIMART,cash&carry,Pioneer,Cherry)Insurance? health? auto?(health, Blue Cross,Philhealth) (auto =cant help)Warnings on scams,,(when your in a taxi and some girls enter &take your wallethow someone would call."claim" that your sick/ill or in jail and they need you to get their money and bring it to a "trusted"friend)What are the best websites to find local info/news?(PHILIPPINES EXPAT FORUM of course,philnews,clickthecity just to name a few)THATS MY 5 MINUTES ,WHAT ABOUT YOURS ?

• Like 2

Jake
Posted
Posted

I would probably initiate the first contact by introducing myself, then go into the listening modeand try to feel him out. I would also observe how he treats his GF or wife in public. There aremany hidden behavior traits that can be detected by body language. The first round of SanMagoo is on me, if it's all good.Respectfully -- Jake

• Like 5

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

That's the main reason why there are a bunch of people on the internet lurking around anonymously on a lot of blogs and forums gathering information for themselves and not bothering to share! Some people just hate confrontation or exposing themselves on an open public forum! Just look at the thousand of members who joined, but only a handful of people actually participates! Do you think a person to person, one on one chit chat with a total stranger in public going to be any different?

• Like 4

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
Sometimes we see a Expat in the mall/store or a (bar/spa/massage )??Many times we dont have time to talk or chat,If you had 5 minutes to chat or talk with a NEW EXPAT or even a LONG TIMEresident.WHAT would information would you share or discuss?let me start...(Oh No I hope its not another agenda)1stI would ask how long he/she has been here? any problems/issues?Would discuss safety issues?Where to get the best exchange rate? how to get the best rate?(credit to Mr Lee )What is the best bank to use ? (BPI)If they have a family, what are the better hospitals?(st lukes,Asian hospital,medical city)Doctors or dentists ?what about the local schools or "preschool" activities for the toddlers?(little gym/Gymboree)what stores have the "best" products? (S&R, UNIMART,cash&carry,Pioneer,Cherry)Insurance? health? auto?(health, Blue Cross,Philhealth) (auto =cant help)Warnings on scams,,(when your in a taxi and some girls enter &take your wallethow someone would call."claim" that your sick/ill or in jail and they need you to get their money and bring it to a "trusted"friend)What are the best websites to find local info/news?(PHILIPPINES EXPAT FORUM of course,philnews,clickthecity just to name a few)THATS MY 5 MINUTES ,WHAT ABOUT YOURS ?
Is this typical stuff that your countryman worry about?I don't remember any Australian ever asking me any of the questions on the list except for the best exchange rate for Aussie dollars. And when new to the Philippines, I never wanted to know about any of those things either.Most Aussies I meet want to know value for money accommodation, cheapest beer, best value for money place to eat, cheapest beer, cheapest groceries and where is that cheapest beer again?I would answer your safety questions.Regards: Jim
  • Like 5

Curley
Posted
Posted
Sometimes we see a Expat in the mall/store or a (bar/spa/massage )??Many times we dont have time to talk or chat,If you had 5 minutes to chat or talk with a NEW EXPAT or even a LONG TIMEresident.WHAT would information would you share or discuss?let me start...(Oh No I hope its not another agenda)1stI would ask how long he/she has been here? any problems/issues?Would discuss safety issues?Where to get the best exchange rate? how to get the best rate?(credit to Mr Lee )What is the best bank to use ? (BPI)If they have a family, what are the better hospitals?(st lukes,Asian hospital,medical city)Doctors or dentists ?what about the local schools or "preschool" activities for the toddlers?(little gym/Gymboree)what stores have the "best" products? (S&R, UNIMART,cash&carry,Pioneer,Cherry)Insurance? health? auto?(health, Blue Cross,Philhealth) (auto =cant help)Warnings on scams,,(when your in a taxi and some girls enter &take your wallethow someone would call."claim" that your sick/ill or in jail and they need you to get their money and bring it to a "trusted"friend)What are the best websites to find local info/news?(PHILIPPINES EXPAT FORUM of course,philnews,clickthecity just to name a few)THATS MY 5 MINUTES ,WHAT ABOUT YOURS ?
Is this typical stuff that your countryman worry about?I don't remember any Australian ever asking me any of the questions on the list except for the best exchange rate for Aussie dollars. And when new to the Philippines, I never wanted to know about any of those things either.Most Aussies I meet want to know value for money accommodation, cheapest beer, best value for money place to eat, cheapest beer, cheapest groceries and where is that cheapest beer again?I would answer your safety questions.Regards: Jim
Nice to hear a positive note Jim. I must say that there do seem to be a lot of negative, safety, rights and other scary posts on here, I sometimes wonder whether I'm doing the right thing to move to the Philippines, I belong to a couple of Thailand forums (more Aussies and Brits)and Thailand has the same issues as the Philippines yet the forums are very positive about living in Thailand despite the visa hassles etc.
  • Like 2

MikeB
Posted
Posted (edited)
Nice to hear a positive note Jim. I must say that there do seem to be a lot of negative, safety, rights and other scary posts on here, I sometimes wonder whether I'm doing the right thing to move to the Philippines, I belong to a couple of Thailand forums (more Aussies and Brits)and Thailand has the same issues as the Philippines yet the forums are very positive about living in Thailand despite the visa hassles etc.
I agree too many posts about petty crime on foreigners and deportations. Crime is a fact of life everywhere, I could sit here all day and post stories about the robberies, murders etc, that go on in Florida, where I moved from, especially targeting foreign tourists. Deportations overwhelmingly involve a serious crime like drugs, not dissing some local yokel. Maybe we all have a tendency to talk and bitch about the negative things. Despite some hiccups and a minor fender bender in the 7 months I've been here, I have NO REGRESTS except to wish I had done it sooner. Edited by MikeB
  • Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Everyone is welcome to post what they feel are positive posts about the Philippines but at the same time don't bury your heads in the sand or your butt might end up sunburned one day.

• Like 5

oldutot
Posted
Posted (edited)

seem most joe's that I meet are always angry, about something. or they know more than you about the culture of the Philippines. :thumbsup:

Edited by oldutot
  • Like 3

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

Yea, Yankee go home. We get it.

roadstar31148
Posted
Posted

alot of us foreigners living here get pretty pisses off for being taken advantage of,,,,,i now avoid interaction with philippinos as much as possible,,,that i have a son and a decent woman i would not be here,,,

• Like 2