5 Minutes With Bob/sam/joe; What To Discuss/share

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Is this typical stuff that your countryman worry about? I don't remember any Australian ever asking me any of the questions on the list except for the best exchange rate for Aussie dollars. And when new to the Philippines, I never wanted to know about any of those things either. Most Aussies I meet want to know value for money accommodation, cheapest beer, best value for money place to eat, cheapest beer, cheapest groceries and where is that cheapest beer again? I would answer your safety questions. Regards: Jim
Hmmm.... Aussies and Canadians must be more alike than I thought.... :541: Ok, but my third one is diet beer!Cheers All!Bob
  • Like 1

KanoJoe
Posted
Posted
Nice to hear a positive note Jim. I must say that there do seem to be a lot of negative, safety, rights and other scary posts on here, I sometimes wonder whether I'm doing the right thing to move to the Philippines, I belong to a couple of Thailand forums (more Aussies and Brits)and Thailand has the same issues as the Philippines yet the forums are very positive about living in Thailand despite the visa hassles etc.
I have to mirror Curley's comments... I have spent time in both Thailand and the Philippines, traveling, meeting the people, exploring the culture, have been in relationships with ladies from each country and evaluating each for its own merits as a place for retirement...As far as internet chatter reveals, there are many expats living in the PI that seem to have to justify their decision to live there and many that indicate that they would leave if they did not have a family ties to the country... You hear some grumbling from the Thai based expats also, but for the most part they are happy with their decision to live there... When you compare an expat standard of living in both countries, they equate in my opinion... The costs are very similar if a person wants to export their western lifestyle to either Thailand or the Philippines... I am not talking about "how cheap can I live", but to have a standard of living a westerner is accustomed to... Yes, you can live on $500 a month in either place, but that would not be for me? A recent thread compared the cost of living in Florida, USA vs Cebu, with Mr Lee stating that the overall costs are similar... My analysis returns the same... The only underlying reason I can find that many westerners move to the PI is for their spouse or GF and for a reduced cost of living by reducing their standard of living... That, and finding a much younger partner to share their leisure years... More on this later... Say what you want about the Filipinos being a friendly race, but there is a reason that there are armed guards at every bank, shopping mall, Jollibee's, etc... I am generally suspicious of overly-friendly people as there is always an agenda behind the smiling face and warm demeanor... When in the PI, my alarm bells go off constantly due to the overly friendly nature of people... To my surprise, most encounters ended with a request of some type... In the PI, filipino friends will usually cost you $$$... I know, I know, a huge generalization, but it's my post... If you become involved with ladies from either the PI or Thailand, you will be expected to help in supporting the family, unless you meet someone middle to upper class... This is unlikely as they have no reason to match with a foreigner and marry within their own culture... In my experience, both varieties will attempt to bleed the host dry, thus killing the golden goose... The difference is in the techniques used by each type of lady... When it comes to crime and safety, there is no comparison in my opinion... Thailand is much, much, much safer than the Philippines... Anywhere in the Philippines... This is from personal experience and anecdotal stories from other travelers I have met along the line... Both countries have corrupt police and governments, so this is a draw... The only thing missing from the Thai government is a clown car and they could get a job with the circus... English is widely spoken in the PI, enough so that I have never had a problem making myself understood... Speaking Spanish also helps... English is not as much of a problem in Thailand as it was in the past, unless you find yourself in BFE, which is not the cards for me... Visas for the PI are much easier to obtain than for Thailand... Pinays are some of the most jealous women on the planet... Period, the end... I have left more than one pinay stewing in a tampo, telling them I don't tolerate such behavior... Multiply that times 45 million and you get the picture... Thai women can't tell the truth... There are many, many more expats from around the world living in Thailand than in the Philippines, this unto itself is indicative of that most expats think when comparing the two countries... This post may not be that positive, but is just one expats take on the two countries...
  • Like 1

Jake
Posted
Posted

Hello KanoJoe,Well, for your very first post I'm really impress on how well you articulate about your travels throughout Asia. We finally have some tangible comparison between the women of Asia. I especially like your statement: Pinays are some of the most jealous women on the planet... Period, the end... I have left more than one pinay stewing in a tampo, telling them I don't tolerate such behavior... Multiply that times 45 million and you get the picture... Thai women can't tell the truth... Additionally, your insight of overly friendly people is profound and I totally agree. And I'm Filipino!Welcome aboard sir -- Jake

• Like 2

Art2ro
Posted
Posted (edited)

There are many, many more expats from around the world living in Thailand than in the Philippines, this unto itself is indicative of that most expats think when comparing the two countries... KanoJoe's post may not be that positive, but is just one expats take on the two countries...I can remember as far back as the last 60s when Thailand and the Philippines were always the two countries being constantly compared to one another! So, it's not surprising to me of all the positive and or negative opinions of the two countries from a foreigner's stand point! It just goes with the territory when a foreigner is in a foreign land! Me personally, I'm in my natural habitat, I have no complaints, because I'm finally back where I belong, my roots, where I blend in the scheme of things! So, I'm always natural with my POVs and or opinions concerning my surroundings, heritage and culture and just sympathize/empathize with those who can't cope or adjust living in a foreign land! All I can do is console, advise and or recommend to those on forums in how to cope and adjust in living in the Philippines to the best of my knowledge and maybe help those seeking help in what ever their situation or circumstances may be, if any! So, I can spare 5 minutes with Bob, Sam or Joe as to what to discuss or share anytime! And, I won't ask anyone, "are my test results back" (in a muffled voice)? Jake and Lee knows what I mean! (just an inside joke from another post) :thumbs-up-smile:

Edited by Art2ro

• 2 weeks later...
Bill Bernard
Posted
Posted

Well, as a visitor next week in Davao I would like to know where I can go watch the super bowl and have a few beer

• 2 months later...
Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

in the past few weeks I have the opportunity to chat with 3 different expats.All 3 was open to talk.discuss the problems or issues they faced, it felt good to hear about anothers problems/issues they encounter. I wasnt asked where to find the cheapest beer but was asked where to get the cheapest groceries. and what was the best place to get medicines, hospital careALSO all 3 was totally unaware that they could obtain Philhealth for some type of basic health coverage.I did inform them of the forum so they could access a clean NON hassle forum where they can listen.share .or offer advice of how they deal or cope with some of the daily issues that some of US(aus,UK CA etc)YESjake your right, some ppl just dont want to talk or be bothered ,You just have to size them up with a few simple questions.

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 2

jode
Posted
Posted
Everyone is welcome to post what they feel are positive posts about the Philippines but at the same time don't bury your heads in the sand or your butt might end up sunburned one day.
if u want all positive then a person can always just visit the Philippine tourist bureau sites. The negative posts should be the most positive and valuable in your decision. If they scare you then think of what the reality of confronting the issues posted about in person will do. I say it is better to be pleasantly surprised that things are better than you thought they would be rather than shocked and frightened because they are worse.
  • Like 3

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

Well I am OH-Fended at posts that tell the truth. :hystery: Seriously, I like it here. I believe some of the best folks around & I really look forward to getting my butt to the P.I. and meeting many of you. If the locals are as fun as ya'll; like Mike S. ,Bob, JGF & of course Jake ( Just to name a few )....It will be an adventure to say the least. :hystery:

• Like 3

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted (edited)
Everyone is welcome to post what they feel are positive posts about the Philippines but at the same time don't bury your heads in the sand or your butt might end up sunburned one day.
if u want all positive then a person can always just visit the Philippine tourist bureau sites. The negative posts should be the most positive and valuable in your decision. If they scare you then think of what the reality of confronting the issues posted about in person will do. I say it is better to be pleasantly surprised that things are better than you thought they would be rather than shocked and frightened because they are worse.
Just to clarifie, I am not saying I want only positive posts, this is an old thread and some members were complaining about negative posts if I remember correctly with out reading it all again as I don't have time just now. My point was if only positive post members want then look out in the real world just like you are saying above. :hystery: Edited by Jollygoodfellow
missed a word
  • Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Well, I don't know who this Sam or Joe are ...but if you want to listen to me talk to myself for 5 minutes, fill your boots!(sorry! just had to do it! :) :hystery: :lol: :89: )

• Like 2