5 Minutes With Bob/sam/joe; What To Discuss/share

BrettGC
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tell them about pails sans toilet paper... Just sayin.

Oh, and you know someone with a couple of goats for sale if they're interested :P

Edited by BrettGC
  • Like 2

Will
Posted
Posted

I've noticed that, in general, foreigners here in the Philippines are pretty rude. Not all, but most that I see at the mall with their ladies won't even acknowledge my smile or head nod. So I've found myself not wanting to be so friendly to foreigners even before I reach them.

Here a few months ago, we were at the US consulate at the waterfront hotel, there were a few Americans with their wives... And nobody wanted to make the first move. I forget how it started, but before we were through there, we were all in one big group, talking and laughing( sure was nice) phone numbers were exchanged. Had a nice day there. Even though I'm not the most social guy in the world, no man is an island, I guess.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)
've noticed that, in general, foreigners here in the Philippines are pretty rude. Not all, but most that I see at the mall with their ladies won't even acknowledge my smile or head nod.

Hummmmmmm ... you must have seen me then ..... and why would it be considered rude ... do you or did you allow your kids to speak to strangers ..... :mocking: :mocking:  ..... and why oh why would I want someone to rush up to me and start blubbering some nonsense to a perfect stranger ..... I never did it in the US so why do it here ..... I sure ain't lonely and besides my asawa speaks perfect English so I have someone to talk to all the time .... but I guess it would be kinda nice to keep up with the price of corn flakes ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

But speaking of needing someone to talk to I do remember some one on a board who was in desperation to find someone .... anyone ..... to talk to because as he so put it "I'm tired of speaking 1st grade English" ..... all I gotta say to that is "hey son ... your the one living with her ... so why are you complaining ... did she suddenly quit speaking English or has the newness just worn off" ..... pays to do your homework before hand and if you didn't then suck it up .... you made your bed ....... anyway guess I'm just lucky ..... believe it or not I have to ask my asawa how to spell words I can't find on my spell checker and she has lived here in the Phils her whole life ..... :thumbsup:   

Posted by Ol' rude Mike S...... :tiphat: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:        :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 2

Will
Posted
Posted (edited)

No, my wife speaks perfect English.

And as for acknowledging someone saying Hi, then I guess it was my mistake for trying to be friendly. It's as if some foreigners go out of their way to be rude to other foreigners. Maybe they were like me and friendly in the beginning but saw it did no good. C'est la vie!

Maybe I used the wrong word: rude.

Maybe "ignore" is more along the lines of what I'm saying.

Edited by Will
  • Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Will my reply wasn't meant for you personally ..... so please don't take it that way ...... some of us have had some bad experiences with other expats and or foreigners and unfortunately for those of you who have no real agendas to promote it could be considered unfortunate ...... but the old saying "once burned shame on you ..... twice burned shame on me"  certainly holds true for some of us .... some people are social animals and some of us are not ..... I'm not ..... not to say I wouldn't help someone with information they might need or advise from my experiences while living here ..... (other wise I wouldn't be posting so much on this board) ..... but anything else .... I'm afraid not .....

I was just trying to give you a little information about why some of us maybe the way we are ..... some have befriended other expats only to have all their savings scammed ..... not during their first meeting but after months of friendly drinking and eating sessions .... suddenly someone wants you to invest in their business or other venture and you wake up one day like the guy did who went back in the US and found out later his p1,000,000 had gone down the drain scammed from an expat he trusted here in the Phils ...... and he wasn't the only one .... there are lots of guys scammed but way to embarrassed to tell anyone and that is what these crooks rely on ..... some guys on this board were scammed .... it doesn't have to be large items .... it can start out with small stuff and eventually just get completely out of hand .... you don't know if the guy is really a friend or is just with you because you buy all the drinks or food when you go out .....  JMHO

Sorry but in the almost 6 years I have lived here I have seen or heard about more foreigners taking advantage of their countrymen that I have ever seen or heard of Filipinos taking advantage of foreigners ....... now when I say Filipinos I'm not talking about the Kano tax ..... that is just a way of life ..... if you are perceived to have more you are going to pay more ......

Oh and before some think I am a total hermit as far as foreigners go .... not true .... I have met and or have had dinner with several persons on this board ..... 

OK enough of my dribble ..... just the way I roll ...... :thumbsup:      :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

Daydreamer
Posted
Posted
There will always be those who have no choice but to live in the Philippines because they will be living on a small pension, or social security, or those who have a dream to start up a business that might not be available to them in their own country, the Philippines might offer a great opportunity to live a smaller, simpler life for less. In my mind and opinion, if it were not for the women, the Philippines would not have many visitors, and few expats wishing to live there, so for those who can afford life elsewhere as I can, I see no point in living full time in the Philippines

I'm going to try and do just that, because I not only want to visit (very extensively), but live there as well.

Some forums post nothing but positive posts, and it is my opinion that is just as wrong as a forum that posts only negative posts. I believe a forum needs to be balanced but in order to be balanced, those members who complain the most about negative posts should try their best to offset those negative posts with positive posts about the Philippines, that is if they can find positive things to post about, but IMO reality will eventually set in that the Philippines is what it is, and rose colored glasses will not change that for those of us who have their/our eyes wide open

And that's why I'm here...to break those "rose colored glasses". This forum is the most educational forum that I've ever been on and I'm getting more info here than I can from some other site. But as for adding something positive about the Philippines, I'm afraid that I'm sorely lacking in that department because IMO in order to do that one would have to at least visited once with an open mind and heart.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
i am bob
Posted
Posted
If you go into a business with a friend, usually the friendship is lost.

You can include Wives in this list too...  At one time I was very well off and worth quite a few pesos...  After the divorce, I feel like one of the kids living on the street.  That is what is holding up my arrival in the Philippines - paying off the last couple thousand I owe paying off the divorce.

• Like 2