Living in Baguio

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

The expat population seems pretty vibrant and mixed considering the size of the place.I don't bend my elbow much these days so I'm not really a good source of info for that. Same on the rental aspect, since I tend to rent and bunker down for years at a time. Lots of choices though here, ranging form 10k to 100k depending on location and quality, like anywhere. Since it is a "college town" many landlords don't require the higher deposits or two month deposits seen elsewhere, or even leases. Higher end places though, are similar to rentals everywhere, with higher deposits and leases.Water is hit and miss, something you check on when renting. If they are hooked to the city, it should cost you 400 or 500 pesos a month. If not, get ready to pay for a truck to deliver, costing your 1000 pesos or up a month. Electricity is generally good most of the time, but with occasional brown outs and low power levels are not uncommon, again depending on how many and how far you are from the transformer. All pretty normal stuff for the Philippines.Traffic sucks but not as much (usually) as Manila. That varies with time of day and engineering projects. Lately many main thoroughfares are torn up causing huge delays far beyond what has been normal here. A couple of years down the road, it will likely be really nice with newly paved roads and improved drain systems. But for the moment, Marcos Highway seriously sucks near town. Various other roads are impassable or paint shakers at best. All due to a huge flood that occurred a coupe of years back, so they are rerouting the drain system away from that area. Big project that creates some serious delays, but necessary.If I was looking at moving to the area, I'd probably wait a year or so. Simply because so many roads are being torn up, even the taxis don't know which way to go. That will settle down in time. Taxis USED to be the best value anywhere. Generally honest and quite inexpensive. Now they raised the rates, so by Filipino standards, rather expensive and probably due to the loss of their more kuripot customers, a bit more grumpy.If you drive, then renting (or buying) outside the central urban area is a good choice. Better air is nice and the place is greener. Crime can occur, so a low profile and good security is necessary. Whether a pick pocket (common in the Public Market area), or a house break in, stuff can happen. Showy homes, poor security, and so forth can be a problem. But this stuff can happen in any area, so Baguio City is not someplace to avoid on that account.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
The expat population seems pretty vibrant and mixed considering the size of the place.I don't bend my elbow much these days so I'm not really a good source of info for that. Same on the rental aspect, since I tend to rent and bunker down for years at a time. Lots of choices though here, ranging form 10k to 100k depending on location and quality, like anywhere. Since it is a "college town" many landlords don't require the higher deposits or two month deposits seen elsewhere, or even leases. Higher end places though, are similar to rentals everywhere, with higher deposits and leases.Water is hit and miss, something you check on when renting. If they are hooked to the city, it should cost you 400 or 500 pesos a month. If not, get ready to pay for a truck to deliver, costing your 1000 pesos or up a month. Electricity is generally good most of the time, but with occasional brown outs and low power levels are not uncommon, again depending on how many and how far you are from the transformer. All pretty normal stuff for the Philippines.Traffic sucks but not as much (usually) as Manila. That varies with time of day and engineering projects. Lately many main thoroughfares are torn up causing huge delays far beyond what has been normal here. A couple of years down the road, it will likely be really nice with newly paved roads and improved drain systems. But for the moment, Marcos Highway seriously sucks near town. Various other roads are impassable or paint shakers at best. All due to a huge flood that occurred a coupe of years back, so they are rerouting the drain system away from that area. Big project that creates some serious delays, but necessary.If I was looking at moving to the area, I'd probably wait a year or so. Simply because so many roads are being torn up, even the taxis don't know which way to go. That will settle down in time. Taxis USED to be the best value anywhere. Generally honest and quite inexpensive. Now they raised the rates, so by Filipino standards, rather expensive and probably due to the loss of their more kuripot customers, a bit more grumpy.If you drive, then renting (or buying) outside the central urban area is a good choice. Better air is nice and the place is greener. Crime can occur, so a low profile and good security is necessary. Whether a pick pocket (common in the Public Market area), or a house break in, stuff can happen. Showy homes, poor security, and so forth can be a problem. But this stuff can happen in any area, so Baguio City is not someplace to avoid on that account.
Thank you Tatoosh for boots on the ground field report. As Jollygoodfellow (forum owner) mentioned,we very seldom get any information about Baguio. I see that you became a member a few years ago.Welcome back sir. By the way, as you may know, "Tatoosh" in Chinook means the female breasts. Hmmm.....very interesting. We look forward in more of your comments and try not to be the mountaintop hermit anymore......he, he.Respectfully -- Jake

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted (edited)

Klahowya Jake,It can also mean milk so "tatoosh glease" means butter. But a nice set would "hyas tatoosh" and those perky ones that stand up so pleasantly would be "youtl tatoosh". ;)Sorry for going off topic a bit and being a bit risque.Tatoosh

Edited by Tatoosh
  • Like 1

oldutot
Posted
Posted

Hi Toosh, How's the transportation in Baguio, I made a trip there over 30 years ago, lol. I plan to maybe visit there this year

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Terrible right now. It will not be the Baguio City you remember, but still worthwhile visiting the old spots, right? However see my report on the roads. Major work going on there and it can be tough getting around. Taxis are easy, though pricier than in the past. Jeepneys are still the bargain they have always been. Getting here is a bit harder, no planes flying here commercially anymore. The Victory Liner is the way to come up now. 780 or so pesos for the deluxe express bus. Bring your coat or a blanket, it gets cold when they turn on the AC. About 6 hours non-stop going up from Manila, and 5 hours going down to Manila (at night).

Garpo
Posted
Posted

Thank you for the report. I have always been interested in the Baguio area and would like to come and take a look around in the near future.How is the markets and shopping there? Malls? And most important of all, do you have or is there plans for a Domino's................. :lol:

Mr Lee
Posted
Posted

Thanks Tat for the report. :541: I still want to get up that way to visit, but the long bus ride would be something I would not be looking forward to. :( I am sure one day down the road we will get to sample your home made ice creme, :lol: and if you two happen to ever be down in Cebu during our usual Feb to May visits, be sure to let us know so we can meet up again. :541:

Michael_Harman
Posted
Posted

How is rentals there we are considering a move there to the cooler climate so I can live a little cheaper. My rent here is 6,500 and my Electricity is over 7,000 due to 2 air conditioners one going 24/7 one at night. I live in Lapu-Lapu City now. I will consider buying a home later. :36_1_68[1]:Charles

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
How is rentals there we are considering a move there to the cooler climate so I can live a little cheaper. My rent here is 6,500 and my Electricity is over 7,000 due to 2 air conditioners one going 24/7 one at night. I live in Lapu-Lapu City now. I will consider buying a home later. :36_1_68[1]:Charles
Hi MichaelI think Tatoosh said he will be away for a few days so I will just quote from his post in this thread.
I don't bend my elbow much these days so I'm not really a good source of info for that. Same on the rental aspect, since I tend to rent and bunker down for years at a time. Lots of choices though here, ranging form 10k to 100k depending on location and quality, like anywhere. Since it is a "college town" many landlords don't require the higher deposits or two month deposits seen elsewhere, or even leases. Higher end places though, are similar to rentals everywhere, with higher deposits and leases.