Anyone Been To Hong Kong?

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Going to Hong Kong next week for a 4 day weekend turnaround with a couple friends of ours, so we all can get our BB stamp upon our return to the Philippines and want to know or if anyone can recommend where to stay that's not off the beaten path with fair prices and clean rooms. Been to Hong Kong once myself, but that was ages ago in a 4 star hotel for a one nighter. We tried www.agoda.com, but have a little problem getting out reservations confirmed and may end up without a hotel reservation upon out arrival in Hong Hong, but we will still try to get our reservations confirmed before our departure! We were surprised that a toilet in the rooms in 3 star Hong Kong hotels comes at an extra cost, because most single rooms with twin beds only have showers and sinks with no toilets, where as the deluxe or superior type suites have them! So, we're still looking! Hong Kong is a short and inexpensive trip for those doing their visa or BB stamp run! We wanted to go to Singapore, but that was twice the cost, but maybe next time, on a regular vacation!

JJReyes
Posted
Posted

If you have not purchased the ticket, try getting a air/hotel package. Philippine Airlines offers "Swingaround," Some "3 Stars" budget hotels were built for China Mainland visitors (they demand the cheapest prices) and they are not to Western standard. The rooms are the size of closets.

Art2ro
Posted
Posted
If you have not purchased the ticket, try getting a air/hotel package. Philippine Airlines offers "Swingaround," Some "3 Stars" budget hotels were built for China Mainland visitors (they demand the cheapest prices) and they are not to Western standard. The rooms are the size of closets.
I know about the PAL Swingaround trips, they cost twice as much! Yes, we already have our tickets, just need to get our hotel reservations confirmed!4 years ago, my wife and I did a Bangkok, Thailand PAL Swingaround from Manila and that was nice, but pricy! We also got our BB stamp upon our return to the Philippines!

chrisandging
Posted
Posted

I've stayed in the Stanford on soy st in Kowloon. Short walk to ladies market and Mongkok MRT. I was happy with it, small well designed room (i think most rooms are small, space being at such a premium)

• Like 1

Geoff Thomas
Posted
Posted

Tryhttp://www.asiarooms.com/I find some pretty good deals here when ever I travel in Asia

• Like 1

FlyAway
Posted
Posted

I have always used agoda.com. Hong Kong hotels sure have fluctuating rates for anything and everything depending on conventions and what not. If you just show up and request a room be prepared to get gouged. Just the way they work there.Shamrock Hotel in Kowloon is decent. It is on Nathan Road close to the MRT station.

• Like 2

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

On Hong Kong Island near to Central we stay at Hotel Wharney Guang Dong, Wanchai just off MTR. Nice hotel, quiet and fair prices.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I've been to Honk Kong a few times now but I have never found a hotel that I like at a reasonable price, close to the action. I always end up staying a long way from the downtown area, finding nice rooms, but still at very high prices.

• Like 1

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all your replies! We finally got our hotel reservations confirmed at $64 (P2,752) per night which is reasonable, not yet including the service charges which is added upon check out! Friends of ours that are traveling with us made the hotel arrangements, but didn't give me the name of the hotel. And they have a toilet, shower and sink in all the rooms! :thumbsup: Our promo on-ward (throw way) tickets from Cebu Pacific Air were only $34 per person, the travel tax was not included, just the seating assignment and administration fee were added to the price of the cheap tickets! Travel agents charge more and they will include the travel tax automatically unless you have a waiver of certificate! We will pay for our EXIT (ECC) and terminal fee at the airport prior to our departure.

i am bob
Posted
Posted
Thanks for all your replies! We finally got our hotel reservations confirmed at $64 (P2,752) per night which is reasonable, not yet including the service charges which is added upon check out! Friends of ours that are traveling with us made the hotel arrangements, but didn't give me the name of the hotel. And they have a toilet, shower and sink in all the rooms! :thumbsup: Our promo on-ward (throw way) tickets from Cebu Pacific Air were only $34 per person, the travel tax was not included, just the seating assignment and administration fee were added to the price of the cheap tickets! Travel agents charge more and they will include the travel tax automatically unless you have a waiver of certificate! We will pay for our EXIT (ECC) and terminal fee at the airport prior to our departure.
Very nice! Can you let us know when you return what you thought of the hotel? And if it's a good one, could we have the name? Hehe! Seriously I think a few others here might like to know for that really government sponsored weekend away!And have a great time while you're there! It's been over 20 years but I enjoyed it there!