More Beauties Down South? Why?

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

I am new here and I know this is an old thread but I did some research. I think everyone here is right. Lots of beauties everywhere. But if I understand the OP's post right he may be talking of the more Euro or mixed leaning towards Euro versions of beauty. It sort of seems in the north is the more Asian classic beauty and to the south the more European exotic beauty. Either way they are both beautiful! Thanks for the food for thought guys!

• Like 4

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

K is from Zamboanga, in Mindanao, but her parents are from Negros, in the Visayas. This is not very unusual - for may years people from the overcrowded Visayas were encouraged to settle in and farm on Mindanao.

I agree with what has been said; keep away from Zamboanga City, keep away from the ARMM, keep away from the Sulu Archipelago (shame, as it is lovely!) and you are safe enough - safe as houses in Davao or Cagayan de Oro.

Yes, the south has the prettiest girls. 

• Like 1

El Negrito
Posted
Posted

K is from Zamboanga, in Mindanao, but her parents are from Negros, in the Visayas. This is not very unusual - for may years people from the overcrowded Visayas were encouraged to settle in and farm on Mindanao.

I agree with what has been said; keep away from Zamboanga City, keep away from the ARMM, keep away from the Sulu Archipelago (shame, as it is lovely!) and you are safe enough - safe as houses in Davao or Cagayan de Oro.

Yes, the south has the prettiest girls. 

But some of those areas you mentioned to stay away from have some of the prettiest. For example where you wife is from. Do you mean stay away as a tourist and if you don't have any connections there or just stay away period? I find that even dangerous areas can be safe if you know a local or two.

• Like 1

Methersgate
Posted
Posted

K is from Zamboanga del Sur, not Zamboanga City. Interestingly she does not think it is a safe place for a foreigner to live, but safe enough for me to visit (and when I have done so I have never been left on my own for a moment outside the hotel room - a couple of family members have always been with me.

• Like 3

El Negrito
Posted
Posted (edited)

K is from Zamboanga del Sur, not Zamboanga City. Interestingly she does not think it is a safe place for a foreigner to live, but safe enough for me to visit (and when I have done so I have never been left on my own for a moment outside the hotel room - a couple of family members have always been with me.

That would be my plan. Nice place to visit but wouldn't want to live there. Many of my favorite places are places I would never want to live! LOL (Detroit, Toronto, Mexico City, Kiev, even though I did live there, Prague)

Edited by El Negrito
  • Like 1

jon1
Posted
Posted

My wife is from Zamboanga City. We were just there last week for a funeral. Things are getting progressively worse there and more dangerous than before for foreigners. Random shootings almost daily, kidnappings weekly. I have been there many times over the last 12 years and this last time had me the most nervous. It is no longer even a "nice place to visit". Since the seige last September http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zamboanga_City_crisis, a significant number of people with money have pulled up roots and moved on. Business had only a 4% growth last year as opposed to a 30% the year before. http://www.philstar.com/business/2014/07/31/1352377/2013-siege-dampens-zamboangas-economic-growth The current mayor has been doing a drive to try to convince people to not leave.

We got married there last December at the resort owned by the former mayor. Just hours after we left there, there was an attempted kidnapping at the same resort of a FilAm that had returned for vacation. 

I would not recommend to anyone to go there, especially if it is your first time.

If you have to go to Mindanao, I would go to Davao, Cagayan de Oro, Dipolog, Surigao or Camiguin Island. All other areas are just trouble waiting to happen to a foreigner (no matter how cautious). It is best to also avoid all areas within the ARMM http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autonomous_Region_in_Muslim_Mindanao for the same reasons.

I agree that there are a lot of scammers out there using this "it's too dangerous for you to come here, but send me $ anyways" gambit for a long time. I personally know of at least one individual that was married and had several expat suitors sending her money for support that she was using to support her deadbeat husband and kids.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
Hey Steve
Posted
Posted

John, you have been a wealth of info for this future expat looking to move down in the Davao / Gen San / Digos City area. Early next year I hope I we would be able to meet up (dinner, drinks on me :cheersty: ...). I'll keep you posted and hope there's going to be a convenient time-but a little ways off yet.

My filipina wife and I discuss this topic of moving and include many points you bring up.

Thanks again, Jon

• Like 2