What Not To Bring...?

Jake
Posted
Posted
OK... here is a BIGGIE.... I am not going to spend time on what not to bring as most of it has been covered... (of course, don't bring a gun... they frown on that kind of stuff)But.... NO WHERE here have I found any Trojan MAGNUM condoms! So, if the standard size fits fine, don't worry about it. But if the standard size is a wee bit snug up to rips down the side upon proper application... then bring a few hundred of the MAGNUM size and you won't regret it.Oh yes Jake..... about your question of serial numbers on condoms.... quite true! But if you don't have to roll them down all the way, then you might not be aware of the serial number.... No need to thank me, glad to help.... as always, I am stock full of a wide variety of usless information (just ask Tom).
Hey Bruce,I didn't know they're serialized. Could it be for the purpose of tracking down a serial fornicator.....he, he.Anyways, back to the subject.....I would strongly suggest NOT to bring an attitude that would easily offendthe shy and timid Filipino. Your physical characteristics will make you stand out anyway and if you have achip on your shoulder or any level of superiority attitude, you may get a bladed weapon or 9mm round upyour butt. Filipinos love to revenge his name, family, wife or sister. Respectfully -- Jake
  • Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Hey Bob ... my brother-in-law is living in Alberta if that is anywhere close to you .... don't know the town yet but can find out he ships stuff all the time here by BB boxes and uses a courier ..... cost is I believe $100 per box ...... it is a good thing to bring some stuff with you it kinda keeps you with a link to your past :hystery: ..... you will as other have said find most things here ...... SM dept. store in the mall has large sizes ..... tee shirts to 4x and polios to 3x ...... some shorts to 44 ...... but no long pants in large sizes ..... you can have clothes made here for relatively nothing ...... I've had 4 pairs of cargo shorts made here for 400p for cloth and 500p to have them sewed ...... 2 pair were denim and 2 were camouflage ....... so not a bad price when you consider that they are hand made and fitted ..... I can think of a lot more things you should bring than shouldn't ........ like documents and opening a mail box service to receive your mail from Canada and also at least 2 bank accounts ....... but this is about WHAT NOT TO BEING .......

• Like 1

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

My experience with Filipino 3x and 4x are simply that they are not 3x or 4x by North American/European/Australian standards. So if you ask for these larger sizes of off the rack clothes made in the Philippines, you may be in for a surprise.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Wow, 60 boxes, 100 boxes... I was thinking 2 seabags!

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Tatoosh ... you are correct sir ..... if you take 4 4x shirts they will all be a different size BUT believe me when I say you can find 4x American size shirts in SM dept store here in Cebu ...... you just have to search through ALL the tee-shirt selection ...... and you are limited to what colors and designs you get but they are available ...... not sure about underwear ...... best solution don't wear any ....... :hystery: ...... only kidding ..... I brought a ton of those with me so I don't worry ...... I'm a ittsy bittsy teenie weenie guy as some can attest and there are Filipinos here that make me look that way .....My biggest problem with clothes here is to find a hat that will fit my big fat American head ...... but my asawa kinda figured that one out by taking off the plastic adjustable snap thingy on the back and sewing in a garter ..... works great and don't look to bad .....

Edited by Mike S

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Oh, I believe you. And it really isn't much of a problem finding 2x and 3x American sizes here in Baguio City at the overrun shop. But step one or two doorways down from them and the shops will be Filipino sized.

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bring the items that are your "COMFORT" or "security". Baseball? soft/down pillow.? food mix?as its been stated , many items can be replaced or found here. BUT it is not of the same QUALITY .much cheaper,depending on your undergarmentsBring extra . either be it,Underware.Socks or that certain T back or Thoungee .i wear jockey, the RP sold jockey is nothing at all compared to the US or EU sold. same goes for socks.seems like its all plastic(polyester)sheets,bed lining,are of poor quality unless you want to pay the price, it just doesnt feel as soft or as nice as what is available back home.(personal choice) Start making a list of your items that you think you will take, review it . about electronics, sorry cant advise or assist on that .Again most items not all here are not as well made as back home(personal opinion) Unless you want to pay the "price".It is ashame that your not able to make a "quickee" trip here to test the waters before You commit,(personal opinion),I did and OH :grouphugg: it did make a TREMENDOUS difference in both my adjustment & attitude .

Edited by Call me Bubba

Art2ro
Posted
Posted

Among with others things we shipped in our Balikbayan boxes via LBC from California, we brought our 110v Panasonic microwave oven in 1998 and it still works today! In 2001 when we moved into our newly built home, we bought a 220v washer and dryer at SM Mall, but they weren't cheap and still going strong to this day! We bought all of our other furnishings little by little! They are all in our profile galley section here: http://www.philippin...art-jhos-album/

• Like 1

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted
Well, ok you beat me. I only shipped 60 boxes total, but you got that beat. OP, ship LBC boxes ahead of time so when you get here your clothes and things will be along in a few days, then use your suitcases for your desktop computers etc. We brought our 40" TV from Costco in its original box as checked luggage. $150 from Seattle to Manila, $150 from Manila to Cebu for oversized. That was a very good decision. Any spices you like, though we have found all here. Money, more money and then a little more.
I would be frightened to ship a TV on a commercial carrier, even in it's original box. It screams "See if you can break me". Did you get hit with customs fees on the TV???

i am bob
Posted
Posted
I've used a lot of 110v stuff here and it works for me, though a transformer for more stable power is a great choice if you can afford it and are parked somewhere permanently.Yes, you do need long pants regardless of what some folks seem to think here. Trips to the Bureau of Immigration REQUIRE long pants. No going inside without them. That is the requirement for the Manila main office if you have to report there. Smaller regional office have more lenient attitudes usually, but they can enforce that rule any time they want if they choose. Other government offices will have the same requirement. If you show up in pants, all happy and smiling, they may well take care of you. Or they may get around to you after their break, lunch, chit chat and anything else that might come up. Wearing shorts to a government office is a sign of disrespect. And we all know the old adage that if you want respect, it starts by showing respect. But, along with any important business with the government, good to be prepared should you be asked to a nicer (upscale) social function whether a private party or a child's graduation (elementary or high school), or if you visit Baguio during December through March, you will want them at night. And a light jacket.Actually, forget the Baguio requirement. Come on up for a visit during the months specified and please bring only shorts and light shirts. Enjoy your evening and at the end of your stay take the Victory Liner down to Manila, preferably the midnight trip since it is actually the shortest/fastest (4 hours). After that, feel free to post here about how completely unnecessary long pants are. Heh heh.
Hmm... My first thoughts for the government policy was that if I didn't have long pants, and they won't serve me in shorts, I"d try with no pants! :nudie: I don't think that would go over well at a graduation though... :mocking:Seriously, since my early teen years until about 15 years ago I would never consider wearing shorts... Travelled through all the nice hot countries wearing pants and long sleeve shirts... And it never bothered me! Now? I wear short sleeves all year round and I"d wear my shorts too if the dang snow wasn't so deep all the time!