Legal Weapons For Expats / Visitors In Philippines

MikeB
Posted
Posted
The guy didn't give the helper a cell phone and check to be sure she had load?
Good point, I hadn't considered it but I think she would have waited till he went back to the US and cleaned out the house instead of just the laptop.

Americano
Posted
Posted
The guy didn't give the helper a cell phone and check to be sure she had load?
Good point, I hadn't considered it but I think she would have waited till he went back to the US and cleaned out the house instead of just the laptop.
Maybe he takes the laptop with him to the US. Well, that should be took because he won't be taking it any more.Its illegal to carry a knife in public unless you are using it to work, but of course everyone has knives in their home they can use for self defense. Even tools like a screw driver or a hammer can be used as weapons. I have two swords that I keep near my front door which is always locked.

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

Well, if the helper was bent, the guy didn't have a chance. But if she is easily duped by a fast talker, then a mandatory phone call is a good solution to that sort of robbery. There are some very slick con men (and women) that con maids and helpers into bringing cash, jewelry and valuables out of the house because of an emergency, usually some sort of medical thing. But if the helper was still there, she was either innocent but stupid, or part of it and very stupid. Note: Sword canes/walking sticks are ILLEGAL in the Philippines for use outside of your house. They are legal, as far as I know, in your own home. I encourage wives to develop an interest in skeet or some similar sport. Long bladed knives are good, but most of us have little training on them. Yah, I know, poke and hope, same strategy we used as teenagers. :thumbsup:

Higg-num
Posted
Posted (edited)

If it pleases most everyone here ... ? I do hope to be more detailed as to what my kindly intended inquiries are / were with the original post. I wish to stick to facts not what if's . ( For lack of a better term ) All of us are victims of our own experience...Some for never having had a particular type of experience....Others of us for ONLY having a limited exposure to a specific type but in isolation of a bigger picture. Which is why I attempted to explain the context. I'v underlined my OP so I may clarify and hope to explain my questions better. ALL could possible benefit from this info IF for no other reason than finding out what tools are available by Philippine law towards Expats / visitors. I do not wish to be offensive to anyone here...I merely seek the truth. Therefore NOTHING should be taken as an Insult from me or my poor skills at the written word.Ask the following , Concealable, Lawful, ( NON Firearm ) Self preservation Tools / weapons ?This sentence was to be a question...My fault ( Ooophs ) Why would one Conceal about the home ? You wouldn't in everyday activities. Even IF it were against the so called Law . Your inside....who would find out ? LoLI hope to stay focused on the subject...Lawful weapons for Expats & visitors to the Philippines. I care not for opinions on the ethics. I would plead for facts. When ever there is a problem, one must ....as objectively as humanly possible...approach said problem OBJECTIVELY. Yes, I state the obvious . Thus my struggle to communicate the context.Context is Moral / lawful against the criminal element. a) Edged weapons; Size, length and of course concealment laws. Oh yes, single sharpen blade or double edged Blades were @ one time legal according to a person from the embassy there but that was many, many years ago since they worked security Gigs there. I wish to know what the law states generally. IF they are legal...are there any particulars concerning design, length and so forth. A blade is NOT a fight stopper. However It makes a great force multiplier and has been used to very good effect in deployment against violent attacks from the criminals / Bad Guys. Are they legal for concealment ?b) Bludgeoning instruments; Blackjacks, socks with rolls of heavy coins, Canes /walking sticks ( I'm talking Irish hawthorn or Black African Snake wood ) My understanding is the philippines are not nearly as strict as TSA. Thus walking aids MAY be lawful there. I made no mention of Cane blades / swords As this would fall under concealable edged weapons. ; )C )O.C. 's are O.K. Mace or Gas. I do not wish to go into details about particulars ( Streams verses fogs or cones ) Health issues, exposures and so on. IS it legal ? If so is there a regulation on heat rating ?D ) Tazers are useless IME for the AO as an expat at least. Cons out weigh the pros. Hate 'em. Juice off, BGs go right back to aggression.e) Nike....RUN ! Probable NOT a viable option in the dynamics being discussed. Do you have others your responsible for ? Basically, never give an enemy your back or flank.I hope these add on explanations make things clearer. Thank you all once moreHigg-Num.

Edited by Higg-num

Higg-num
Posted
Posted
If it pleases most everyone here ... ? I do hope to be more detailed as to what my kindly intended inquiries are / were with the original post. I wish to stick to facts not what if's . ( For lack of a better term ) All of us are victims of our own experience...Some for never having had a particular type of experience....Others of us for ONLY having a limited exposure to a specific type but in isolation of a bigger picture. Which is why I attempted to explain the context. I'v underlined my OP so I may clarify and hope to explain my questions better. ALL could possible benefit from this info IF for no other reason than finding out what tools are available by Philippine law towards Expats / visitors. I do not wish to be offensive to anyone here...I merely seek the truth. Therefore NOTHING should be taken as an Insult from me or my poor skills at the written word. Ask the following , Concealable, Lawful, ( NON Firearm ) Self preservation Tools / weapons ? This sentence was to be a question...My fault ( Ooophs ) Why would one Conceal about the home ? You wouldn't in everyday activities. Even IF it were against the so called Law . Your inside....who would find out ? LoL I hope to stay focused on the subject...Lawful weapons for Expats & visitors to the Philippines. I care not for opinions on the ethics. I would plead for facts. When ever there is a problem, one must ....as objectively as humanly possible...approach said problem OBJECTIVELY. Yes, I state the obvious . Thus my struggle to communicate the context. Context is Moral / lawful against the criminal element. a) Edged weapons; Size, length and of course concealment laws. Oh yes, single sharpen blade or double edged Blades were @ one time legal according to a person from the embassy there but that was many, many years ago since they worked security Gigs there. I wish to know what the law states generally. IF they are legal...are there any particulars concerning design, length and so forth. A blade is NOT a fight. However It makes a great force multiplier and has been used to very good effect in deployment against violent attacks from the criminals / Bad Guys. Are they legal for concealment ? b) Bludgeoning instruments; Blackjacks, socks with rolls of heavy coins, Canes /walking sticks ( I'm talking Irish hawthorn or Black African Snake wood ) My understanding is the philippines are not nearly as strict as TSA. Thus walking aids MAY be lawful there. I made no mention of Cane blades / swords As this would fall under concealable edged weapons. ; ) C )O.C. 's are O.K. Mace or Gas. I do not wish to go into details about particulars ( Streams verses fogs or cones ) Health issues, exposures and so on. IS it legal ? If so is there a regulation on heat rating ? D ) Tazers are useless IME for the AO as an expat at least. Cons out weigh the pros. Hate 'em. Juice off, BGs go right back to aggression. e) Nike....RUN ! Probable NOT a viable option in the dynamics being discussed. Do you have others your responsible for ? Basically, never give an enemy your back or flank. I hope these add on explanations make things clearer. Thank you all once more Higg-Num.
I have no idea IF this is reading the way I typed it. Something went realllllly screwie when I attempted a grammer correction.

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I wish to stick to facts not what if's
By facts, I understand (from the rest of your post) that you mean: Is (some item) legal, yes or no.If that is what you are asking then you do not understand the Philippine law system. Even a lawyer could only give you a 'legal opinion' and 2 lawyers will give you 2 different ones. Example: Ask a lawyer if carrying a large machete type blade is legal on a Philippine street. One lawyer would say yes and another would say no. The law says something about it only being legal if it is necessary to your trade or business, like if you were going out to cut brush with it. If you want the exact wording, then Google works for you as easy as for the rest of us.
  • Like 3

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

My sincerest apologies for the double post. Thank you Dave. That is why this subject is somewhat confusing. I will put out more inquires through my U.S. Embassy channels but that takes time.Google may shed light at times but unfortunately Not on subjects of great import such as this one. Next to the law and what it states is what is enforced. Officer discretion. This is a whole other ball of wax . What one person MAY be able to do without suffering consequences is different from what others MAY experience absent of pull inside the government circle. We'll see if any of the members here can shed some light on my OP...I hope.

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
My sincerest apologies for the double post. Thank you Dave. That is why this subject is somewhat confusing. I will put out more inquires through my U.S. Embassy channels but that takes time.Google may shed light at times but unfortunately Not on subjects of great import such as this one. Next to the law and what it states is what is enforced. Officer discretion. This is a whole other ball of wax . What one person MAY be able to do without suffering consequences is different from what others MAY experience absent of pull inside the government circle. We'll see if any of the members here can shed some light on my OP...I hope.
I think what you are asking is the impossible answer. No one here or on most forums have a degree in Philippines law so most answers are from what the person who reply's to your posts read some where or someone told them or from a once off experience that is not necessarily the same result if you are in Cebu or Samar or Zamboanga.

dean01
Posted
Posted (edited)
It simple , do not break the law , and when you are out and about use your head.this thread was posted the day before me and my gf witness a guy getting shot , i would not consider to buy a weapon . I did the smart thing and left I did not want to get involved when I knew it was a hit , if it was a random violence i would have stayed and helped .I seen gangs target people and I had to walk away , we are foreigners here so some times it better to leave than to fight.I do carry mace but i hope to never have to use it , some places i wear it visible , no one has told me i can not carry it , and if they do I will use my head and negotiate the best out come.Next time you see a police ask him / her , see what look you will get. Edited by Dave Hounddriver
  • Like 1

Tatoosh
Posted
Posted

They do sell gas sprays here and batons. If you kept a big knife in your car or bag (not for air travel of course), I'd keep a couple thousand peso notes and some business cards showing you were in the catering or meat processing business. For technical answers in terms of dealing with best technological answers, that depends on training and ability. For legal answers, a Filipino attorney familiar with case history of self defense as it applies to foreigners is required, something most of us simply do not qualify for. However, you will be outside the USA in a system that is not overly friendly with expats, so even if you use legal means to dissuade illegal assault on your person or family, you may still be considered in violation of whatever they choose to apply. There are NO "get out of jail" cards. Example for attitude: Not a fight, just the legal system doing its thing. Similar to the USA, night shift work is often paid at a higher rate than day shift work. A friend owns a phone center/web design business. He hires a group of individuals that turn out to be only marginally effective workers. Knowing they are not producing, their contracts will not be renewed. So they go to the Department of Labor, file a complaint against the company. Company is effectively owned (though not in name) by expats so Dept of Labor decides to sue the company for unlawful wage discrimination. The crime? Not paying night shift differential to day shift workers. Even though that is common practice by hundreds of companies here. But this company is a Kano company so the law and common sense does not apply quite the same way. My example is civil law, but it works in criminal law cases too. Read the thread about the Swede picked up for having an underage child in his company. Even though it turns out to be the cousin of his girlfriend who is also with him. There simply is no guarantee things can't get all screwed up even if you do it right. That said, I love it here anyway.

• Like 3