Foreigner Rights, Generally Speaking

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted
I have a real life situation that happened two days ago at my house. This is a real situation and i want you to think exactly how you would have handled it...I am teaching in class (i home school) and i hear a 'bong bong bong' sound. I am curious and decide to investigate. The sound turns out to be a neighbour who has decided that he will cut down one of my mature hardwood trees so he can have firewood. I go and politely (my bisaya is bad but i tried to be polite anyhow) ask him to stop. He ignores me... (fill in the rest yourself)About 20 minutes later, i hear the 'bong bong bong' sound again. The guy has gone across the road and started cutting a tree off my neighbours lot. The owner is away but he is a friend and i know he doesn't want any of his trees cut down. So I... (go ahead and fill in the rest)I handled this by demanding respect, i didn't piss all over the guy, but when he ignored me or later gave me attitude, i sure as hell didn't leave quietly...Seriously, too many times i have heard guys buying into the advice 'not to make a conflict' and 'just let it go'. I agree to a point, but when that point comes, HELL NO!!!
Another great example. Frankly given the fact you live there and deal with those situations daily shows that at times standing up to a local is the right choice. I guess the question becomes learning when to let go and when to stand your ground. In your case you have the wisdom to make that choice and I respect that.

Jake
Posted
Posted
I have a real life situation that happened two days ago at my house. This is a real situation and i want you to think exactly how you would have handled it...I am teaching in class (i home school) and i hear a 'bong bong bong' sound. I am curious and decide to investigate. The sound turns out to be a neighbour who has decided that he will cut down one of my mature hardwood trees so he can have firewood. I go and politely (my bisaya is bad but i tried to be polite anyhow) ask him to stop. He ignores me... (fill in the rest yourself)About 20 minutes later, i hear the 'bong bong bong' sound again. The guy has gone across the road and started cutting a tree off my neighbours lot. The owner is away but he is a friend and i know he doesn't want any of his trees cut down. So I... (go ahead and fill in the rest)I handled this by demanding respect, i didn't piss all over the guy, but when he ignored me or later gave me attitude, i sure as hell didn't leave quietly...Seriously, too many times i have heard guys buying into the advice 'not to make a conflict' and 'just let it go'. I agree to a point, but when that point comes, HELL NO!!!
I'm glad you are giving us the luxury of hind sight. If he's cutting down your tree with a bolo knife, I guess I needto approach him gently and offer him a couple pesos to buy fire wood. If I had a weapon on my person, I think Iwould disarm myself. But then again, if that day had me in pissed off mood anyway....well might as well finish it like two Filipino tribalwarriors drunk on tuba. Life is cheap in the Philippines, including foreigners.....he, he.
  • Like 2

Steve & Myrlita
Posted
Posted (edited)

But if ever the law became envolved, the foreigner will always be the loser whether right or wrong. If you ever forget that you are a foreigner, don't worry, they will go out of their way to remind you while cuffing you and (reading you your rights) Oops, you have none!

Edited by Steve & Myrlita
  • Like 3

MikeB
Posted
Posted
But if ever the law became unvolved, the foreigner will always be the loser right or wrong.
I don't believe that's always the case but even if it was there are times when you have to stand up for yourself or others. At least I do.
  • Like 2

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
But then again, if that day had me in pissed off mood anyway
That's the truth. If I am on my last nerve and someone is getting on it I am more likely to demand common courtesy and to hell with whether I have the right. I have been known to regret that after but I believe rights are not given, they are taken.
  • Like 3

softail
Posted
Posted

I believe the right to a speedy trial has also been given up. Seems I have read about people rotting in jail for 5 or more years waiting for their day in court and then perhaps receiving a 5 yr sentence with no credit for time already served while waiting for trial. Correct me if I am wrong.Doug

Dzighnman
Posted
Posted
I believe the right to a speedy trial has also been given up. Seems I have read about people rotting in jail for 5 or more years waiting for their day in court and then perhaps receiving a 5 yr sentence with no credit for time already served while waiting for trial. Correct me if I am wrong.Doug
Yup, heard the same and worse over the years.....

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted
A missionary friend of mine was working in the Cebu prison system.Apart from their religious work, they would try and assist prisoners with daily needs.He told me that sometimes prisoners would get sentences less than time served and no one would take action to release the prisoners. So, they would try and attend the court cases and get the prisoners released if the time served matched or exceeded the sentence.Regards: Jim

Jim Sibbick
Posted
Posted (edited)

It is a 10 year old video now, but you can see some of their missionary work here, if you are interestedphilippines-experience.com/videos/missionary.wmvRegards: Jim

Edited by Jim Sibbick
  • Like 1

billten
Posted
Posted

One other thing that has to be mentioned is, how do the rights of a foreigner here compare to other places in Asia?Hmmm, China, Vietnam, Cambo, aaargggg ugly.OK, how about Japan, Korea, etc. etc. A lot more subtle, but you can ever forget becoming a member of their society too.Perhaps Phils aint so bad in comparison to its neighbours...

• Like 4