Foreigner Rights, Generally Speaking

gmb8585
Posted
Posted

To answer the OP post directly and bluntly - many people come to the philppines and SE Asia to retire because they cannot afford to retire in their home countries with their meager pension without eating cat food and they are also able to have sex and relationships with much younger women whereas in their own country they would either be unable to find a women at all or would have to settle for one who is well past their due date. Not trying to offend anyone, nor pass judgement. Who wouldn't want to live in a tropical climate year round, have beautiful women and be able to live a reasonable lifestyle on a limited budget

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Well as mentioned above it all boils down to what you want out of life here in the Phils ...... need to or start a business or work ........ for me I'm retired so I don't want or need to ........as to speak freely about politics and the government .......... who cares I can't vote anyway so why bother are you going to complain about something you can do nothing about just to complain ....... own real property ..... will that might be an issue if I just want it put in my name ....... have equal standing in a court of law ....... now that is a problem but just not for foreigners for Filipinos also (old additive money talks and BS walks) ....... strength of contracts ..... the only contracts I sign I read and understand them BEFORE I sign them ...... if I don't like them I don't sign them ...... and if it is something I need but don't like I just sign it and prepare for the worst ....

If I want all these rights and others I can become a citizen of the Philippines instead of a guest ...... would you want a guest coming in to your house to have all the same rights and privileges that you as the home owner do ...... I wouldn't

I think the problem with most guys from the US (including me) where they are a citizen is they think everything is just like back home in the rest of the world .... if YOU are a citizen in other countries you will get the same privileges and rights of that country ...... the problem with the US .... and yes it IS a problem ...... is that they give EVERYBODY almost the same privileges and rights as US citizens ..... and it is getting worst and worst everyday ...... IMHO ..... :cheersty:

• Like 4

TheMason
Posted
Posted
the problem with the US .... and yes it IS a problem ...... is that they give EVERYBODY almost the same privileges and rights as US citizens ..... and it is getting worst and worst everyday ...... IMHO .....

I guess that is one of the fundamental differences in how we view things. I consider this one of the greatest strengths of the US, you consider it a problem.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

Or from the State of Virginia constitution....

That all men are by nature equally free and independent, and have certain inherent rights, of which, when they enter into a state of society, they cannot, by any compact, deprive or divest their posterity; namely, the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the means of acquiring and possessing property, and pursuing and obtaining happiness and safety.

I consider them basic human and civil rights, and I will not willingly give them up for any reason, not even for living in the Philippines.

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Yup ...... we definitely disagree ...... :thumbsup: ..... :cheersty:

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
I think the problem with most guys from the US (including me) where they are a citizen is they think everything is just like back home in the rest of the world

Well said. The longer one lives here the more one learns the differences and the reasons behind them. That is if one chooses to have an open mind and observe, digest, then understand. (I just remembered the thread on Harry and realized that some never do accept and understand the differences between this culture and Western culture and the consequences can be alarming.)

• Like 3

Thomas
Posted
Posted

the problem with the US .... and yes it IS a problem ...... is that they give EVERYBODY almost the same privileges and rights as US citizens .....

I agree with most of what you wrote,

but this part isn't true.

Ask any of the mexicans, who try to get in, but are not allowed to :)

I understand USA don't want to let all of them in, it can be a big problem, when a poor country borders to a rich country, because to many want to come. We have similar problems here in Western Europe, many East Europeans come here expecting to get work, although it's short of jobs here already. (Them inside European Union are allowed to come, but not them outside normaly.)

• Like 2

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted

Lets steer this topic back to the , Foreigner Rights, Generally Speaking but I will add Philippines to it as this is a Philippines expats forum and the thread is in; The life as an Expat forum. If we need to discuss issues in other counties then start a topic in either The chatter box or world events forum.

:th_thanx:

• Like 4