Foreigner Rights, Generally Speaking

Higg-num
Posted
Posted

I had to read your OP a few times to get the overall theme to your question. As did I Jake. as I get older (and not necessarily wiser), I'm beginning to take a more chill out posture. Life experience counts for much IF it is tempered with wisdom. : ) These days, it really depends who's got a poker face with ace's up their sleeve. I'm talkingabout a guy I'm publicly insulting is packing a 45 under his belt. Will I or members of my family be ambushed byhis gang of friends upon exiting Jollibee? Will my food be contaminated by the server I just insulted for lousyservice? The list can go on and on. And unfortunately, the answers even for me, needs to be handled on acase by case basis. perhapsgrowing older makes me think of preserving my life a little bit longer. After all, retirement with the ones you lovemust be prolonged with stress free life style. Especially in a strange and foreign land.But then again, if my life or family is in immediate danger then deadly force will be applied with extreme prejudice.Respectfully -- Jake IF it ain't worth killing or dieing over.....I'll choose to let it go. However, In the event my spider man senses go off. ( Lethal threat ) Only one of three things are gonna happen; They kill me, We kill each other or I kill them. Guess which one I train for ? ! ? LoL I do not see it as " Giving up " my rights...so to speak but suspending parts of them. Talk to some folks who have established certain connections or know how to operate as a " Gray " man. ( No, I'm not referring to the war between the states or Southern American confederates. LoL) I mean changing the way we think , blending in and learn the rhythm of the culture and what " Laws " can be bent or broken. How, who and when to manipulate the system to your favor.Not by stealth but thrive by guile ! This may not make sense unless you have done time with guys with special assignments ( Military intelligence, Operations ,SOF etc...) They have no rules & rarely get busted. They take the " using your head " to a whole nother level boys.This is as much as I feel comfortable with stating on a public forum. Disclaimer; Personally I plan on obeying ALL the laws of the P.I. Government in every way, shape and form. Even submitting myself to opinions and obeying those as well. I shall be as gentle as a baby sheep and a pacifist at all costs. There...I'v covered myself.

• Like 3

Jake
Posted
Posted
One other thing that has to be mentioned is, how do the rights of a foreigner here compare to other places in Asia?Hmmm, China, Vietnam, Cambo, aaargggg ugly.OK, how about Japan, Korea, etc. etc. A lot more subtle, but you can ever forget becoming a member of their society too.Perhaps Phils aint so bad in comparison to its neighbours...
Thank you Billten for confirming my suspicion about other Asian countries. I would love to think that myhome country was a little bit more conducive for retirement in the Philippines. I'm also curious aboutcentral and southern America (Costa Rica, Panama) as well as some of the European retirement spots.This wonderful forum is turning out to be more informative than any travel guides I've read. Folks likeyou as well as other expat explorers provide no nonsense "boots on the ground" field report with anadded touch of humorous anecdotes. Thank you guys -- Jake
  • Like 1

Curley
Posted
Posted
QuestionFor the average Expat living in the Philippines.Is it a major problem everyday where you find you have no rights? Is it impossible to leave the house because in the back of your mind you may not have any rights? Do you constantly loose sleep worrying about what will happen when you need to visit the supermarket for a re stock of imported Cornflakes?My questions is, is "our rights" a real worry each and every day or do we function 98% of the time with out thinking about it and any adverse consequences.Just wondering and I know its important to understand how the rights system or lack of it works but at the same time in most cases our daily lives will not depend on it. :hystery:
Hear, hear. I couldn't agree more.

MikeB
Posted
Posted

You don't miss "rights" until you actually need them eg, when you are arrested. So much misinformation and half-truths are thrown around and repeated until they become "facts". This is from the US Embassy's web site on the subject of US citizens arrested in the Philippines.It documents the basic process and the Embassy's role.

• Like 1

• Forum Support
Old55
Posted
Posted

:attention:

Higg-num
Posted
Posted
do not see it as " Giving up " my rights...so to speak but suspending parts of them. Talk to some folks who have established certain connections or know how to operate as a " Gray " man. ( No, I'm not referring to the war between the states or Southern American confederates. LoL) I mean changing the way we think , blending in and learn the rhythm of the culture and what " Laws " can be bent or broken. How, who and when to manipulate the system to your favor. Not by stealth but thrive by guile !
Joeatmanila's Post may explain my own reasoning I was attempting to articulate. Joeatmanila I believe you may receive your " Gray-man " certificate. ; )( Since this keeps coming up like Lazarus ) Perhaps because those of us who where blessed to be " AH-meri-Rick- cans " have a reputation for being rough & rugged independents. Guys...as far as " Guns ". Matters little if one is in their home or out on the street. IF a Bad guy or group of them is within 5 feet or so....It has rarely been an effective tactic from the good guy 's stand point to produce their own concealed firearm. You have a better chance at escape or close & fight. I do NOT state this of my own foolishness but of thousands and thousands of video feeds / personal accounts. Statistics,science, facts & history.
  • Like 3

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
I believe the right to a speedy trial has also been given up. Seems I have read about people rotting in jail for 5 or more years waiting for their day in court and then perhaps receiving a 5 yr sentence with no credit for time already served while waiting for trial. Correct me if I am wrong.Doug
Well, I would like to think that you were Right BUT! hey, Did the Phillies ever sign up to the Human Rights Issue? Here I think it is a Fundamental Right, that discounted Time should be Given. What about a NOT GUILTY Verdict. Would they be Given compensation. mmmmmmm beggars belief don't you think??Jack P.