Interesting .... Could This Involve A Foreigner Married To A Pilipina

Fred & Mimi
Posted
Posted

I have a farmlet with my partner in Argao and its become a family project. Her brother and partner is the main caretaker and its to become the source of his income. Her Mom and Dad are involved with the building of the homestead and have a room in the house designated as theirs. One free room exists and anyone else can sleep in the loft on a mat.

The law on the farm is "No work no eat". So relatives are welcome if they are prepared to work there, else noone will tolerate them as the family are all hard working. Its a great place for a lazy brother that will be given a list of chore to do when he goes there...ore taste the wrath of the family heheheh.

I can't wait :dance:

• Like 4

Americano
Posted
Posted

My wife has a grandfather who lives in Mindanao. For years he has been getting drunk and then hitting and threatening to kill a relative or a neighbor with large knife.  He has threatened to kill my wife's father a few times. If the Bill becomes law as its written now he could say he doesn't have a home and wants to live with us.  Either we let him live with us or my wife goes to prison for 6 years.

Well, he may not be around much longer anyway.  Recently the NPA contacted him and said if the majority of his victims vote to eliminate him the NPA will take him into the mountains and he won't be coming back.  They haven't asked for a vote yet but could at any time, maybe they will the next time he threatens to kill someone for no reason.

• Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted (edited)

Have just got through reading this thread.IMO this is just absolute MADNESS.I must say i find myself agreeing with Americano right the way through.It seems just so crazy to us who were brought up in a vastly different society where we were taught to "fend for ourselves" and be independent.

I would just like to know who's initial idea this was. From what i've seen in this country since 1986, i have formed an opinion that many many  Filipinos actually think it is their god given birth right to take  from other people.They are not embarresed by this and have no shame whatsoever, and now here we have some lawmaker actually telling them that they are right!

Having family members move in with you i don't find strange as that's just Filipino culture but to have them move in with you under LAW............that's just rediculous.

Here's another thing...........Apart from just assuming that Kano has bottomless pockets. how on earth are they going to be able to determine if you even have the financial capacity to support the parents as for sure, whatever you do for them it is NEVER going to be enough,especially if one or both parents will now think they no longer need to even try to provide for themselves.

Edited by Bundy
  • Like 3

SubicSteve
Posted
Posted

Ok, how many people read the Bill?  Can't remember who right now (Gary?  Dan?) gave a link to a PDF on the first page.  It's not as bad as what we have all been saying on here.

From the Bill:

"The obligations of the children or grandchildren to maintain his or her parent or grandparent extends to the needs of such parent or grandparent for food, clothing, medical attendance and treatment."

"The amount of the support shall be in proportion to the resources or means of the child or relative and to the necessities of the parent, senior citizen or elderly."

"Support shall be reduced or increased proportionally , according to the necessities of the parent, senior citizen or elderly and the resources or means of the person ordered by the court to furnish the same."

So what does this mean?  All you have to do is provide somewhere for them to live - Welfare Housing.  The Act spells out what a shelter is: "'Shelter' refers to any home or institution maintained or managed by the Department of Social Welfare and Development or by any other agency or voluntary organization accredited by the DSWD for the purposes of this act.   You also need to provide food and cover their PhilHealth as well as a way to get to their medical appointments.  Oh, PhilHealth is covered for the elderly.  Food?  A bag of rice, a few veggies and water and you are covered.  Place to live?  Standards really are not covered so as long as you provide a shanty you are covered.  Financial support is only for the provision of these things.  So if they don't like what you get them?  They are out of luck.  And they can't take you to court over this without taking all their children and and self-supporting grandchildren into court as well.  Why do I say that?  Because the courts have to division up the cost between everybody in proportion to their income and that requires knowing what they make.    

Now I will have my Special Someone's mother to worry about but she is very proud and very independent.  Still, she has worked and raised my sweetheart without any help (and the rest of the family as well) so I have no problem with helping out getting Mom a nice place to live - even if she decides she wants to live with us.  That is when we will be living in the country with a nice size property with room to build an Inlaw Cottage on.    

Actually, the way I read your post, the standard of living/care for the parent/grandparent is subjective.  Therefore, and henceforth and forthwith all Pilipinos know that poreignors are all RICH and must give the same standard of housing that they live in.  Do you think a judge would declare otherwise????????

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted (edited)

Thinking ahead a bit ..... only if you are married can you be involved with this law ..... if you just live with someone you are not responsible for her family ..... now here comes the rub ..... just recently in order to obtain a 13a you must provide them with a bank statement showing how much money you have ..... no one yet knows what their minimum allowance will be ..... used to be $1000 per month ..... could this be a way to determined how much you can afford to pay to the parents .... just a thought ..... and for those of us who already have a 13a could we be asked to show these new requirements when we have to renew our 13a ACR I card ...... it is no secrete that the that those in power feel that "The Philippines is only for Filipinos" as was stated years ago .... and as we all know the laws and justice here is not equal for everyone  ...... could this just be the tip of the iceberg ..... only time will tell ....  just a few things to thing about ......  :cheersty:

Edited by Mike S
  • Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Actually, the way I read your post, the standard of living/care for the parent/grandparent is subjective.  Therefore, and henceforth and forthwith all Pilipinos know that poreignors are all RICH and must give the same standard of housing that they live in.  Do you think a judge would declare otherwise????????

When you consider what the act states as shelter ( "'Shelter' refers to any home or institution maintained or managed by the Department of Social Welfare and Development or by any other agency or voluntary organization accredited by the DSWD for the purposes of this act.), if you meet this minimum and stick them in a government sponsored boardinghouse style lodging, you are covered.  Doesn't matter what they want.  

Of course I imagine this would only be used against parents who just try to suck the money out of their daughter and Kano son-in-law.  Most of us hopefully would have good relations with our inlaws and thus this wouldn't be a problem.  

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted

Now they do not want to work. They do not want to own their own business. They demand we pay. And move them in with us.   Like I said. IMHO this is insane.

Yes, THAT FAMILY.

The LAW ISN'T that insane. It include some about supporting family members in need, WHO DO THEIR BEST THEMSELVES.

It's kind of proven "your" family CAN manage themselves, because they could before you became involved...    :)

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

if you just live with someone you are not responsible . . .  

There is a lot to be said in these few words.  I am here as a tourist.  I live with a partner as if we were married, but in the Philippine government eyes we are not.  It means I pay my way every two months.  It means that I owe this country nothing and they owe me nothing.  They can kick me out if they want and I can leave if I want. Love is a wonderful thing but it is useless without a Visa.  Fortunately the world has many places that are just as nice as this one if things get to out of control here.

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
  • Like 4

Julia
Posted
Posted

Moral conscience is not something you can regulate and it must come from within

:th_exactly: