Cathay Pacific - Brief Rant & A Question

samatm
Posted
Posted
Thanks for the update ;) Sounds like you have a 'keeper" . Now whats the plan? ARe you going to sell the house and move to Cebu? Did she come over on a fiance visa? Why did she have to go back so soon? Not to be nosy but your experience might shed light to readers in the same boat.

Yes, selling the house this summer. Photographer comes Monday and it should be on the MLS by the end of the week. I am definitely going to take a hit on the house! So be it. At this point if I get any cash out I will be happy.

Not sure where we will settle yet. We are going to look around for a year or two, and I will be in the Manila area for that time.

Abby has a B1/B2 business/tourist visa so she was able to come over. If her daughter had been able to come, she might have stayed longer, but the getting a visa for a little one is not easy and there was no time, and her daughter's summer vacation ends next Monday. Her daughter had a fun summer break at her aunt's house, playing with her cousins. Skype was our friend and we were on camera twice a day with her daughter.

Nice ! Sounds like you are indeed OnYourWay.

dalidali
Posted
Posted (edited)

I always here people say that Cathay Pacific has good prices but every time I search for a flight, I find them outrageously expensive unless they have a monster sale. Am I looking in the right place? Where do people find the CHEAP Cathay Pacific prices?

I think you will find that China Airlines has about the lowest rates to Asia.

For me anyway....a 747 is a 747, no matter what logo is on it and a slim Asian girl handing out drinks are the same airline to airline.

(those EVA green uniforms are UGLY)

I think Cathay Pacific is way over rated on the customer service issue.

Your mileage may vary as alway

dalidali

Sorry for the post hijack....

Edited by dalidali
  • Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

I always here people say that Cathay Pacific has good prices but every time I search for a flight, I find them outrageously expensive unless they have a monster sale. Am I looking in the right place? Where do people find the CHEAP Cathay Pacific prices?

For me anyway....a 747 is a 747, no matter what logo is on it and a slim Asian girl handing out drinks are the same airline to airline.

dalidali

:mocking: As I read this reply and write this, I am sitting in the Cathay Pacific departure area, waiting for my flight from YVR to HKG to be called. I agree that I could have saved a $100 by flying China Airlines but they stop in China, usually Shanghai, and I prefer a direct flight. But once again, only when Cathay is on sale, as it is today . . and the flight is full . . and I can't get an aisle seat . . and I got charged for my second bag which is another thread in itself. (Left hand don't know what right hand is doing)

So all in all I am often tempted to try China Airlines one day but how does that work for a Chinese visa when they have a stop in Shanghai? Any idea? I get a visa waiver in Hong Kong but not in Shanghai that I know of.

dalidali
Posted
Posted

dalidali

:mocking: As I read this reply and write this, I am sitting in the Cathay Pacific departure area, waiting for my flight from YVR to HKG to be called. I agree that I could have saved a $100 by flying China Airlines but they stop in China, usually Shanghai, and I prefer a direct flight. But once again, only when Cathay is on sale, as it is today . . and the flight is full . . and I can't get an aisle seat . . and I got charged for my second bag which is another thread in itself. (Left hand don't know what right hand is doing)

So all in all I am often tempted to try China Airlines one day but how does that work for a Chinese visa when they have a stop in Shanghai? Any idea? I get a visa waiver in Hong Kong but not in Shanghai that I know of.

Ha ha....well, the visa Q beats me actually and if CP fill a niche for you..just do it.

I use China from Los Angeles USA and they stop in Taiwan, China and a plane change is necessary for SE Asia.

Whereas CP from LAX stops in Hong Kong, China.....or at least that was the path a couple of years ago..

A buddy of mine always sung the praises of CP and I just could't see it...not for another $100 to $200 more than another 747 with a different paint job.

No matter what color of the flight attendant uniform.....have a GREAT time.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

dalidali

:mocking: So all in all I am often tempted to try China Airlines one day but how does that work for a Chinese visa when they have a stop in Shanghai? Any idea? I get a visa waiver in Hong Kong but not in Shanghai that I know of.

As Long as you are not wanting to leave the Airport, You will be in transit, so ,it is just a plane change no visa requirement to my mind, maybe just a landing card issues with a Final destination Section. similar to that used in HK.Having said that, if a Visa was required , I doubt the Departure Airport would have let you Board in the First place. :unsure:

Jollygoodfellow
Posted
Posted
As Long as you are not wanting to leave the Airport, You will be in transit, so ,it is just a plane change no visa requirement to my mind, maybe just a landing card issues with a Final destination Section. similar to that used in HK.Having said that, if a Visa was required , I doubt the Departure Airport would have let you Board in the First place.

Thats correct. Also most big airports have a hotel inside them if you had to stay over night, usually expensive though and bought in six hour blocks if I remember correctly.

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
As Long as you are not wanting to leave the Airport, You will be in transit, so ,it is just a plane change no visa requirement to my mind, maybe just a landing card issues with a Final destination Section. similar to that used in HK.Having said that, if a Visa was required , I doubt the Departure Airport would have let you Board in the First place.

That's correct. Also most big airports have a hotel inside them if you had to stay over night, usually expensive though and bought in six hour blocks if I remember correctly.

:36_1_50[1]: Is there one at Manila? I have a 12 hour lay over for the 7am Dumaguete flight? or am I just wishing here. I have a reservation in Malate but could cancel The Transfers are 1.400p. and room is 2.300. I like to be safe in Manila when I am on my own :unsure:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
Is there one at Manila? I have a 12 hour lay over for the 7am Dumaguete flight? or am I just wishing here. I have a reservation in Malate but could cancel The Transfers are 1.400p. and room is 2.300. I like to be safe in Manila when I am on my own

I don't think there are right in the airport buildings but the Manila Airport Hotel is right in the airport area. You might want to check it.

• Like 1

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
, I doubt the Departure Airport would have let you Board in the First place.

Yes, that is what I am afraid of. I am sure they would take my money but I am not sure they would let me board. Guess I have to research that for 'one day'.

So has anyone actually done a stop and change planes in Shanghai? Let us know about it.

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted
, I doubt the Departure Airport would have let you Board in the First place.

Yes, that is what I am afraid of. I am sure they would take my money but I am not sure they would let me board. Guess I have to research that for 'one day'.

So has anyone actually done a stop and change planes in Shanghai? Let us know about it.

It should be the same as any other Int'l airport transfer. If you need a visa for the country and do not have one, they are not going to let you out of the secure transfer area. If you are just doing a transfer and do not desire to see Shanghai, you have nothing to be concerned about.

If you have a long layover and wanted to exit the secure transfer area for some sightseeing, etc., you would need a visa.

• Like 1