Cathay Pacific - Brief Rant & A Question

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted
hould be the same as any other Int'l airport transfer. If you need a visa for the country and do not have one, they are not going to let you out of the secure transfer area.

That is an interesting thought, If that were true then I could bring my wife on a trip to the Dominican Republic (Visa free for filipinos for 21 days) with plane changes in the US but no US visa required for her. That would open up possiblities.

• Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted
, I doubt the Departure Airport would have let you Board in the First place.

Yes, that is what I am afraid of. I am sure they would take my money but I am not sure they would let me board. Guess I have to research that for 'one day'.

So has anyone actually done a stop and change planes in Shanghai? Let us know about it.

It should be the same as any other Int'l airport transfer. If you need a visa for the country and do not have one, they are not going to let you out of the secure transfer area. If you are just doing a transfer and do not desire to see Shanghai, you have nothing to be concerned about.

If you have a long layover and wanted to exit the secure transfer area for some sightseeing, etc., you would need a visa.

I agree but not if you are just in Transit, China and these places will require a Visa to leave the Airport.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I would love to answer this but I can't - at least not for the Asian visas. What I can tell you is that you should always check prior to booking your flight for if you need a visa at all for the trip - including stop-overs! My ex from Taiwan found out the hard way - she booked her flight to come to Canada - it consisted of Taiwan to Hong Kong to Detroit to Toronto.. Guess who was denied boarding the flight because she didn't have a visa to the US? Even though they didn't even get off the plane but would be sitting on-board and just getting fuel for until they got to Toronto? Guess who had to buy a new ticket to get a flight that didn't stop in the US? Guess who couldn't get a refund on her original ticket even though she told the booking agent she did not have a visa for the US?

Moral of the story - don't just check with the airline - check with any country your flight will stop in for if a visa is required or not!

• Like 1

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

I would love to answer this but I can't - at least not for the Asian visas. What I can tell you is that you should always check prior to booking your flight for if you need a visa at all for the trip - including stop-overs! My ex from Taiwan found out the hard way - she booked her flight to come to Canada - it consisted of Taiwan to Hong Kong to Detroit to Toronto.. Guess who was denied boarding the flight because she didn't have a visa to the US? Even though they didn't even get off the plane but would be sitting on-board and just getting fuel for until they got to Toronto? Guess who had to buy a new ticket to get a flight that didn't stop in the US? Guess who couldn't get a refund on her original ticket even though she told the booking agent she did not have a visa for the US?

Moral of the story - don't just check with the airline - check with any country your flight will stop in for if a visa is required or not!

That is odd. If you are not going to clear customs / immigration there is no need for a visa. There must be thousands of people transiting major air hubs (E.g. Frankfurt, DE) everyday who do not have visas for the transit country. Always a good idea to double check though, and then double check again.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

That is odd. If you are not going to clear customs / immigration there is no need for a visa. There must be thousands of people transiting major air hubs (E.g. Frankfurt, DE) everyday who do not have visas for the transit country. Always a good idea to double check though, and then double check again.

I agree - it is odd! Being as you are American, you probably would never have noticed it but this has been in effect in the US since 2001 and the disaster at the WTC... Heck, even though we (Canadians and Americans) don't need visas to visit each other, we can't cross either way at our border without a passport any more... As for other countries I am not sure of which ones right now but I do know several have been talking of visa requirements for certain countries in regards to transit purposes as well....

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

I agree - it is odd! several have been talking of visa requirements for certain countries in regards to transit purposes as well....

:unsure: Sure way, to Kill what is left, of the Tourist Industry, 9 months to book a holiday cos your plane change, is in Singapore :)

• Like 1

samatm
Posted
Posted

I always here people say that Cathay Pacific has good prices but every time I search for a flight, I find them outrageously expensive unless they have a monster sale. Am I looking in the right place? Where do people find the CHEAP Cathay Pacific prices?

I think you will find that China Airlines has about the lowest rates to Asia.

For me anyway....a 747 is a 747, no matter what logo is on it and a slim Asian girl handing out drinks are the same airline to airline.

(those EVA green uniforms are UGLY)

I think Cathay Pacific is way over rated on the customer service issue.

Your mileage may vary as alway

dalidali

Sorry for the post hijack....

:mocking: As I read this reply and write this, I am sitting in the Cathay Pacific departure area, waiting for my flight from YVR to HKG to be called. I agree that I could have saved a $100 by flying China Airlines but they stop in China, usually Shanghai, and I prefer a direct flight. But once again, only when Cathay is on sale, as it is today . . and the flight is full . . and I can't get an aisle seat . . and I got charged for my second bag which is another thread in itself. (Left hand don't know what right hand is doing)

So all in all I am often tempted to try China Airlines one day but how does that work for a Chinese visa when they have a stop in Shanghai? Any idea? I get a visa waiver in Hong Kong but not in Shanghai that I know of.

Dave, As you might remember China Airlines is actually Taipei Taiwanese carrier not to be confused with Air China . Used to be there were huge differences in service levels between the two and Air China would be woefully below par of Cathay Pacific 100 or 200 or even 300 savings for me would not justify using Air China over Cathay P. I cannot say that though for China Airlines. I have always had good experiences with CAL (CI) and the Taipei connection to Manila isn't bad (though i would still take CX (Cathay P) over CI prices being equal.

Its not the paint job on the tube-- Maintenance issues and schedule changes and crew attittude and food and entertainment systems and transit and more. (not to mention passenger profile makeup) ever been on 747 with a bunch of new money Chinese "hicks" returning on from their 5 day vacation to Canada /US . You will get stampeded on entering the plane and deplaning (they don't pay attention to the Flight attendants ) .

Have a great trip. as you probably read this in the HONG KONG free wifi food court . and welcome back.

• Like 1

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Even my ex from Taiwan would not fly China Air... hehe! She was scared the wheels would fall off!

:mocking:

OnMyWay
Posted
Posted

Even my ex from Taiwan would not fly China Air... hehe! She was scared the wheels would fall off!

:mocking:

I flew on China Air via TPE from Frankfurt to Manila a few years ago, and everything was good. I got a really nice business class fare. The business class was sub-par, but worth the price I paid. The wings seemed to be attached well so I was not worried!

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
It should be the same as any other Int'l airport transfer. If you need a visa for the country and do not have one, they are not going to let you out of the secure transfer area. If you are just doing a transfer and do not desire to see Shanghai, you have nothing to be concerned about. If you have a long layover and wanted to exit the secure transfer area for some sightseeing, etc., you would need a visa.

When I returned from my first visit to the Philippines I had to transit and change planes/carriers in China. I had to get my checked baggage, check it into another airline, this was within the secure transit area. But then I had to go through Chinese Customs and Immigration with my carryon luggage, then over to another terminal, where I got an exit stamp before boarding my plane. No visa was required but it was a big PITA considering I had less than 2 hours between flights. So now I make sure I do not transit via China when I fly to/from the Philippines.

• Like 3