Going To Usa To Get Married

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Hello, My Girlfriend and I have been living together for only 15 months here in Cebu. We would like to go back to Texas to get married and live in America for a while. I have read about the K 1 Fiance Visa. I have some questions if anyone knows the current answer. I say current due to the constant changes being made in the laws. We would like to get married in June of 2013. I thought we would start finding out information now. So far we are still working on her Birth Certificate and Passport. We have those almost finished.

First question: What are the requirements?

Second question : Do I have to travel back to Texas to file the paperwork there or can I have someone do that for me? if so who can do that?

Third question : Any idea on the timeline for this?

Forth question: Anyone know who could pick up a birth certificate for us at the NSO office in Tacloban and how much would that cost and what would we have to do for them to pick it up. We just flew there and spent a week getting them to put her name on her first name on her birth certificate and making a new copy that is readable. The NSO copy had 4 or 5 pages copied onto it so it was undreadable.

Thanks for your assistance.

Glenn

jode
Posted
Posted (edited)
http://travel.state....types_2994.html There is other info out there also online do a google. I have heard it takes roughly 6 months. Edited by jode
  • Like 1

Jack Peterson
Posted
Posted

Hello, My Girlfriend and I have been living together for only 15 months here in Cebu. We would like to go back to Texas to get married and live in America for a while. I have read about the K 1 Fiance Visa. I have some questions if anyone knows the current answer. I say current due to the constant changes being made in the laws. We would like to get married in June of 2013. I thought we would start finding out information now. So far we are still working on her Birth Certificate and Passport. We have those almost finished.

Second question : Do I have to travel back to Texas to file the paperwork there or can I have someone do that for me? if so who can do that?

Forth question: Anyone know who could pick up a birth certificate for us at the NSO office in Tacloban and how much would that cost and what would we have to do for them to pick it up. We just flew there and spent a week getting them to put her name on her first name on her birth certificate and making a new copy that is readable. The NSO copy had 4 or 5 pages copied onto it so it was unreadable.

Glenn

I cant say anything about the US requirements but I can say something about the passport for your lady (not advise but just some know facts relating to my own experience) She will need her NSO birth certificate and a personal visit to the DFA + her up to date National ID and proof of her commumity tax is paid. so she will need all this to apply. With out it, she can do nothing, also my friend she will have to have at the very least, an acknowledged application for a Visa.to the US. When my wife applied for a name change on her Passport to apply for a European Visa (Schengen) it was refused on the Grounds that I could not present an English translated Permission to live in Spain Certificate. Obtaining a passport for a Filipino, is not as simple as some may think, you have to prove you are going somewhere and you have permission to do so, from that particular Country. for me, a visit or some up to date and factual information is much needed from the DFA sorry if this sounds daunting but sometimes the rules are unfair but that's life. We can all give our own experiences here but it is the DFA that will determine the outcome Using an Agency who could pick up the NSO certificate will cost and she will still have to make a personal appearance. you dont mention her age but if I can just advise you if she is under 21 she will need Parental permission and the DFA may call the Parents to attend also, this happened only last year to a friend of mine on Negros. What ever, can I wish you all the very best for the Future, maybe you will keep us up to date with how things are going for you both.

Regards and & standing to be corrected here jack P. :tiphat:

• Like 5

Call me bubba
Posted
Posted (edited)

Fiancé(e) Visas

This page provides information for U.S. citizens wishing to bring a foreign national fiancé(e) living abroad to the United States to marry.

If you plan to marry a foreign national outside the United States or your fiancé(e) is already residing legally in the United States, you do not need to file for a fiancé(e) visa. See the “Green Card” link to the right.

Application Process

• File Form I-129F.

Eligibility Requirements

If you petition for a fiancé(e) visa, you must show that:

• You (the petitioner) are a U.S. citizen.
  • You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé(e) entering the United States.
  • You and your fiancé(e) are both free to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated by divorce, death, or annulment.
  • You met each other, in person, at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. There are two exceptions that require a waiver:
    1. If the requirement to meet would violate strict and long-established customs of your or your fiancé(e)’s foreign culture or social practice.
    2. If you prove that the requirement to meet would result in extreme hardship to you.

After the Fiancé(e) Visa is Issued

Once issued, the fiancé(e) visa (or K-1 nonimmigrant visa) allows your fiancé(e) to enter the United States for 90 days so that your marriage ceremony can take place. Once you marry, your spouse may apply for permanent residence and remain in the United States while USCIS processes the application. For additional information, see the “Green Card” link to the right.

Treatment of I-129F petitions where the Department of State (DOS) refuses to issue the K-1 visa and returns the expired petition to USCIS.

Once USCIS receives a consular returned I-129F for K-1 classification from DOS and the petition has expired in accordance with 8 CFR214.2(k)(5), USCIS will allow the petition to remain expired and will not reaffirm or reopen the petition. Therefore, the petition will expire in normal course. Please note that this will not preclude the petitioner from filing another petition.

Children of Fiancé(e)s

If your fiancé(e) has a child (under 21 and unmarried), a K-2 nonimmigrant visa may be available to him or her. Be sure to include the names of your fiancé(e)’s children on your Form I-129F petition.

Permission to Work

After admission, your fiancé(e) may immediately apply for permission to work by filing a Form I-765, Application for Employment Authorization.

What happens if we do not marry within 90 days?

Fiancé(e) status automatically expires after 90 days. It cannot be extended. Your fiancé(e) should leave the United States at the end of the 90 days if you do not marry. If your fiancé(e) does not depart, he or she will be in violation of U.S. immigration law. This may result in removal (deportation) and/or could affect future eligibility for U.S. immigration benefits.

We want to make plans for our wedding. How long will this process take?

To check the current processing times for the I-129F petition, see the “Check Processing Times” link to the right.

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis

http://www.uscis.gov...000082ca60aRCRD

regarding the NSO/birth certificate

http://www.philippin...p/topic/672-nso

/look at # 9 that has other links to Birth cert. info and issues,

about problems, read those links.

if you have time, Look at Dear PAO in manilatimes,net

this column is very helpful to some of the issues that we(the forum )may face when dealing with our loved ones paperwork/NSO issues.

also the URL listed below can be quite useful

Errors ,how To Solve Those Paperwork/ Legal Document :thumbsup:

last item. do you meet the INCOME REQUIREMENTS?

Edited by Call me Bubba
  • Like 4

Okieboy
Posted
Posted

it is so much easer to marry in the Phil than take her to USA

• Like 3

brock
Posted
Posted (edited)

Regarding the Birth Certificate, it can be posted, cost is only about a couple or three hundred peso.https://www.ecensus....pplication.aspx

Edited by brock
  • Like 1

mariposa
Posted
Posted

Forth question: Anyone know who could pick up a birth certificate for us at the NSO office in Tacloban and how much would that cost and what would we have to do for them to pick it up. We just flew there and spent a week getting them to put her name on her first name on her birth certificate and making a new copy that is readable. The NSO copy had 4 or 5 pages copied onto it so it was undreadable.

Glenn

Hmmm. give me the details such as name, birthdate place of birth name of parents so that i can get the NSo birth cert if she is already registered I can get here. If not well you need to late register her in her place of birth. You need to pay me only the delivery charge by LBC or JRS. and also the receipt for NSO. and also I need your mailing address. Thanks.

• Like 2

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Thanks for all the great info.

The links posted by, Call me Bubba, are a great help. I was hoping I could just mail them the application via fedex. Looks like I can do so.

As far as the passport and NSO birth certificate.

Her NSO birth certificate was and is unreadable. It looked like they had copied 5 other documents on it at the same time. some upside down some sideways. As well as there is no first name.

We went to NSO office here in Cebu. We were told that we would need to go to Tacloban and get a CTC of the original or a new one from the Civil Registrars office in Tacloban and then to file that along with a copy of the NSO birth certificate and a completed form to have it fixed and submit it to the NSO for changes to be made in Manila.

We did as they said. Flew to Tacloban and spent 5 days. At a cost of about 20,000 pesos. Thought we would have fun as long as we were going there. Got the Civil Registrar stuff done. Cost about 950 pesos. Took papers to NSO there in Tacloban and were told it would take at least a month to get the papers back after they investigated to see if we were telling the truth. That part only cost 140 pesos. The problem is this. I DO NOT WANT TO FLY BACK TO TACLOBAN AND DEAL WITH THE FRICKING SHAMPOO STEALING AIRPORT SECURITY. And a boat ride in this country is out of the question. So I thought I would see if there is someone who could pick up the papers at the NSO office there and send them to us.

As far as the Passport as DFA. The new office at the Metro ( Pacific Mall) is very good. We went there already. We just need to get a good copy of her birth certificate or one that says there is a supplemental report filed with NSO in order to finish filing for her passport. We will try tomorrow to get a NSO Birth Certificate from the NSO here in Cebu tomorrow. Maybe it will be fixed. Maybe not. I thought we would get this taken care of way before we were ready to leave.

Thanks for your help.

• Like 3

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Update.

Went to N.S.O. in Cebu City on Tuesday May 22 2012. New rule at N.S.O. Cebu City. If you pay at or after 1 pm you have to come back the next day to receive documents.

May 23 2012. Received N.S.O. Birth Certificate. Still no change. Unreadable and NO first name. Called Tacloban N.S.O. told it may now take up to 2 months for the corrections to take place. Contacted Makati N.S.O. told they would release supplemental report back to tacloban N.S.O. on June 1, 2012. Sent email to Makati to find out if there is any way to get a copy sooner on May 23, 2012 no reply as of yet.

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Update:

Received email reply after yet another phone call to Quazon City. I don't know why I keep saying Makati. Was informed that on June 1 2012 we could go to the Cebu City N.S.O. office and get a corrected copy of her birth certificate.

Well today is June 1 2012. We left this morning at 7 am on what seems like our relentless journey thru hell.

We have been to the N.S.O. office so many times we have the forms already filled out here at the house.

After arriving we finally got thru the first long line and got our number only to be able to sit down and wait. Being able to sit down was the good part. Finally after 2 1/2 hours her number was called and we paid yet again to receive a corrected copy of her birth certificate. We were then informed that because we made it to the cashier before 1 pm we could get our copy today, only we would have to come back in 4 hours to get it. Thinking that after all the months of waiting, paying for flights all over the country, hotels, paperwork fees, that another 4 hours would not be so bad. That is until we came back after 3 hours and had to stand in line for another hour only to find out.

THE FRICKEN BIRTH CERTIFICATE IS THE SAME.

NO name still looks like someone tossed there lunch on yellow paper and handed it to us. So we asked what we should do. Guess what they said?

After going to the N.S.O. office almost every week for the past 10 weeks to get a copy of this thing only to find out that each time, its the same.

They said to COME BACK NEXT WEEK AND TRY AGAIN !!!!.

So we called Quazon City where the supplemental Report was sent to fix the errors.

Guess what they said? Now remember I said we filled out the forms to have her first name added and to get a clear copy due to copy error.

They said they could not add her name to the birth certificate because the copy in the computer is unreadable !!!.

That is why we flew to Tacloban, got a new copy from the Civil Registrars office and submitted that as well as the proper forms and all the other 30 pieces of documents proving who she is so they would be able to fix this.

Does anyone know of an attorney or a company that can help us with this?

Thanks.

• Like 1