Going To Usa To Get Married

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Update: June 20 2012.

Yesterday we finished up at DFA. It took about an hour. She was able to apply for her Passport it took about an hour after going to NBI and it will be sent to our place in Cebu via LBC in about 20 working days. They accepted the copies of the documents that were authenticated by the N.S.O. here. Hopefully we will be recieving a readable birth certificate from N.S.O. in about a month or two.

This is what I found out.

First off.

I stayed at the hotel this time and let her and our friend go and do everything. It went quickly and smoothly. The only cost was at DFA. She paid the normal fee along with the LBC cost.

There are 2 laws regarding no first name on a birth certificate.

1 is using a supplemental report to add missing information that does not require judicial approval. Such as adding a first name. NOT CHANGING a first name. Time for documents at CRO in Tacloban, 3 days.

2. RA 9048 or whatever it is. That is the new law to change a first, middle or nickname, copy and typographical errors, as well as a small amount of other information. This one requires a great deal of documentation as well as NBI clearence and an affidavite from two disinterested parties. Time for documents at CRO Tacloban 10 days. This one cost 1500 pesos to the CRO then 1000 for name change and 3000 for Copy errors to N.S.O. Quezon City, and is supposed to take about 1 week after it is recieved by N.S.O. in Quezon City and it is Authenticated and investigated by their office there. After you send it to them via LBC with payment. However this one was a law made in 2000 and not accepted by the main CRO in Quezon until 2010. At least that is what I have read. How long it takes for each individual CRO office on each differant island to put this law in place is anyones guess.

What the CRO office in tacloban apperantly wanted to do was to use the supplemental report to fix the problem instead of using the RA 9048 or whatever the number is. The Quezon City office looked at the birth certificate on record and said NO WAY, we can not read this. So here we are sending more info to them. The good thing so far is it is at no cost to us other than what we have already paid. Will it work? That is anyones guess at this point. We will find out in about a month or so.

Will update more as we learn more.

• Like 3

Mike S
Posted
Posted

Good luck guy ... seems like you are on the right track .....

This happened to me when I went to Globe to have service put in my name ...... I filled out all the paperwork and handed it into the charming young lady at the desk ...... she read the info and looked at me funny and said ..... "your mothers maiden name is - - - - " I said no that is my fathers name .... she said OH no sir we have to have your mothers maiden name for your middle name ..... I said but that is not my middle name and showed her my passport and ACR I card ...... she looked so puzzled and didn't know what to do ..... there was a guy sitting next to her reading a newspaper (supervisor) ..... she looked at him and he said it's OK ... he's not a Filipino ...... she smiled sweetly looked at me and said it's OK ...... I cracked up and explained to her that in the US anything goes as far as middle names on your birth certificate ..... she looked at me and said "really" ....... only in the Philippines ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 4

i am bob
Posted
Posted

Good luck guy ... seems like you are on the right track .....

This happened to me when I went to Globe to have service put in my name ...... I filled out all the paperwork and handed it into the charming young lady at the desk ...... she read the info and looked at me funny and said ..... "your mothers maiden name is - - - - " I said no that is my fathers name .... she said OH no sir we have to have your mothers maiden name for your middle name ..... I said but that is not my middle name and showed her my passport and ACR I card ...... she looked so puzzled and didn't know what to do ..... there was a guy sitting next to her reading a newspaper (supervisor) ..... she looked at him and he said it's OK ... he's not a Filipino ...... she smiled sweetly looked at me and said it's OK ...... I cracked up and explained to her that in the US anything goes as far as middle names on your birth certificate ..... she looked at me and said "really" ....... only in the Philippines ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

Wow! I bet the children of a couple I knew in my younger days are glad they aren't Filipinos... His name was John Smith and his wife, who had been an abandoned baby at an orphanage, was legally given the name Jane Doe.

• Like 2

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Wow! I bet the children of a couple I knew in my younger days are glad they aren't Filipinos... His name was John Smith and his wife, who had been an abandoned baby at an orphanage, was legally given the name Jane Doe.

I wonder how many funny looks they got when checking into a hotel registering as John Smith and Jane Doe.

i am bob
Posted
Posted

When they got their marriage licence, she had to have 3 extra pieces of ID as City Hall didn't believe them... :mocking:

Ashanti
Posted
Posted

I think it is done so that a corrupt beuracracy can increase their revenue, as you end up paying them extra when they make a mistake.

Im afraid youre getting paranoid …………….

Im sad to admit the mistakes in BC are borne out of dumbness or to be kind doziness rather than conspiracy. Do not believe in PI that a college graduates are really that well educated. There are not and quality varies im afraid. More embarrassingly, there are a lot of college graduates who are even intimidated or scared to fill up a basic form.

Also bear in mind, sometimes BC infos are not filled up by the parents but the clerk/nurse/midwives, etc who are rather shoddy in filling up forms. Prime example is my maiden name. My BC info was entered by the midwife who misspelled my family name. My parents did not bother to check or correct the wrong entry. So they themselves don’t know that I have different surname spelling from my siblings. The problem only surface when I graduated in college as the Uni insisted in using the BC spelling. My father had to execute an affidavit to say that the family and my BC name is the same person. However, all my records now carry the wrong spelling of the family names.

My siblings used to tease me terribly – as im the cuckoo in the nest. And I used to answer back, “yeah…………. the only brilliant one in the nest of mediocres!!! (To the loud guffaws of my juvenile siblings …………. :rolleyes: )

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Also bear in mind, sometimes BC infos are not filled up by the parents but the clerk/nurse/midwives, etc who are rather shoddy in filling up forms.

You go inday :thumbsup: ...... as usual you make a lot of sense ..... maybe because you are Filipina and have gone down that road a dozen times ...... the fault DOES lie with the persons filling out the original forms and as a lot of these people are not formally educated they just write what they THINK is the correct spelling ...... out of my asawas immediate family of 3 sisters and 2 brothers ALL of them including her mother have had issues (except my asawa) with their birth certificates ...... mostly with name spellings and 2 with birth dates ...... her youngest sister even has 2 birthdays ..... courtesy of the NBI ...... the people filling out the forms just spell the names as they sound or like someone else they know has theirs spelled ..... ya gotta love it ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

• Like 1

earthdome
Posted
Posted
Also bear in mind, sometimes BC infos are not filled up by the parents but the clerk/nurse/midwives, etc who are rather shoddy in filling up forms.

You go inday :thumbsup: ...... as usual you make a lot of sense ..... maybe because you are Filipina and have gone down that road a dozen times ...... the fault DOES lie with the persons filling out the original forms and as a lot of these people are not formally educated they just write what they THINK is the correct spelling ...... out of my asawas immediate family of 3 sisters and 2 brothers ALL of them including her mother have had issues (except my asawa) with their birth certificates ...... mostly with name spellings and 2 with birth dates ...... her youngest sister even has 2 birthdays ..... courtesy of the NBI ...... the people filling out the forms just spell the names as they sound or like someone else they know has theirs spelled ..... ya gotta love it ..... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery:

There was a problem with my birth certificate from Wisconsin, USA that wasn't found out until I joined the military...

so clerical mistakes can happen anywhere.

• Like 1

TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Preparing to leave Tacloban today going back home to Cebu. I have gone thru our luggage to ensure that we have no liquids or sharp objects such as shampoo's or razors or nail clippers of any kind. Hopefully we will not have a replay of our last departure from here. We return to Cebu again not knowing if Rowena will be able to receive a correct and readable copy of her N.S.O. birth certificate in a month or two or not.

What we know and understand about the Philippines is that the Laws here are more like guidelines. To be enforced at the discretion of the official you are talking to at the moment.

It does no good to get upset or angry and stomp ones feet or raise your voice. It also does little good to contact another person in the same office to achieve your goal. The best thing we have found is to do what the person we are talking to says no matter how silly it may seem at the time.

Our plans to go to America to get married are still the same. Just postponed for a little while.

We will know more about that in a month or two. Until then we will look for another place to rent somewhere here in the Philippines since our current rental lease is ending in August. Perhaps Cebu, Perhaps not. We attempted to find one here in Tacloban. Unfortunately we were not able to find one suitable for us. So its back to Cebu for us. Then I go to Singapore then to maylasia alone for 5 days. Found cheaper hotels across the border. Then back to Cebu to start the process all over again.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
TexasRangersFan
Posted
Posted

Update: July 29 2012.

We received a package from DFA via LBC on the 17th containing her Passport.

That is one less thing we have to get.

Called Tacloban NSO office on the 20th and found out that her birth certificate is NOT fixed.

It looks like the same routine as last time. We will call for another month then we will be told to go there and pick up another feedback report and take it to CRO Tacloban to try yet another way of getting her Birth Certificate fixed.

Wish they would just let us file for the RA 9048 and get this taken care of.

• Like 1