Rich Girl Or Poor Girl

Thomas
Posted
Posted

It's not age or money but the lack of knowledge that really concerns me, conversation and discussion is very important to me and even with university educated Fillipinas I find their level of knowledge to be quite low.

that because a lot of filipinas are not worldly/sophisticated and self-sufficient. however, they are quick learner if exposed to a new world ................

Yes. Not odd the knowledge level is low, because the Philippine government spend on education only around e g 1/5 compared to Thailand, where the knowledge is low too.

Not even one, with scholarship and with mathematics as speciality, could count percent.

But, as Ashanti says, some learn fast.

(E g my gf developed in some months from very bad at English and concerning business she thought only sarisari and farming,

to speak rather much better and think wholesale and refining productions.)

• Like 3

nor cal mike
Posted
Posted

Just spent the last hour reading and re-reading this thread and hitting the like button,

and please forgive me if I missed anyone. Thanks you all for one of the best, thought

provoking exchanges I have read anywhere.

• Like 3

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I have met a few Filipino families with school age children (2 families that is) that have recently moved to Canada - and the kids proved they are quite a bit smarter than this series of posts would give them credit for. There was a lot of discussion on what grades to put them in and the argument centred on if the grade was age-appropriate for them or should they really be advanced 3 to 4 years as per their scoring on the tests they had to perform. A compromise of 1 year advancement for this school year and, should conditions warrant, another year advancement for the following year. And this was for kids in the grades 5 to 8 range here in Canada. And before any thinks the kids went to a private school in the Philippines? Nope! Strictly public school. They are poor families who were sponsored for immigration by brothers who are already Canadian citizens.

Kind of puts a twist into some of the thoughts on "Rich Girl, Poor Girl" regarding education, doesn't it?

:mocking:

• Like 2

Thomas
Posted
Posted (edited)
And before any thinks the kids went to a private school in the Philippines? Nope! Strictly public school. They are poor families who were sponsored for immigration by brothers who are already Canadian citizens.

Kind of puts a twist into some of the thoughts on "Rich Girl, Poor Girl" regarding education, doesn't it?

Philippine people can be clever, but harder to learn in big classes with very small school budgets, so public schools can be needed to be compleeted by self studies by each family/person themselfes.

Perhaps your question can be explained by your sentence just before your question. The brother managed to go to Canada and become citizen, so it seem the family can be more clever and active than average, which can make them learn much more by themselfes.

(Much in schools in kano countries are bad too. A big percentage of kano country students can't read and count proper even when they finnish primary school! :unsure: So I have studied much by myself, because I have found even parts of kano country college educations teaching to slow :) but even very unmodern sometimes! Not much worth studying much less good methods, but they hadn't included a much better method, which was "invented" 17 years earlier!!! :unsure:

Edited by Thomas

• 4 weeks later...
Julia
Posted
Posted

It's not age or money but the lack of knowledge that really concerns me, conversation and discussion is very important to me and even with university educated Fillipinas I find their level of knowledge to be quite low.

i feel guilty as charged....

• Like 1

GregZ
Posted
Posted

Lack of knowledge is easily overcome with knowledge. Don't sell yourself short Julia, just start collecting. :tiphat:

The ones I have trouble with are the stupid people from ANYWHERE because it is hard to fix STUPID! :bash:

• Like 3

tiger31
Posted
Posted

we are both poor and happy lol

• Like 1

Thomas
Posted
Posted
Lack of knowledge is easily overcome with knowledge. Don't sell yourself short Julia, just start collecting. The ones I have trouble with are the stupid people from ANYWHERE because it is hard to fix STUPID!

Yes.

But I have no problem with them, who are stupid but don't claim to be clever,

but I have big problem with them, who are stupid and claim they are clever. E g as many politicians :hystery:

(My perhaps future Filipina wife has low school education, but like to learn, learn fast, and is much more clever than many with high exams including westerners. But she need to rethink some things she are used to. I have told her, we need to think a mix of kano style, but adjusted to Filipin situations to get a good business, or as I said "If we think common Filipin style, then we will get Filipin pay only, and I want to earn more :) "

• Like 3

sjp52
Posted
Posted

Me too Julia. Its hard hanging out with all these intellects. Thank god we got our looks :thumbsup:

• Like 4