Your Weekly Or Monthly Spend At The Supermarket ?

the Supermarket   

21 members have voted

1. 1. when you shop do you find it

• Enjoyable
    • An average experience
    • I rather have a root canal
    • I need to ask my mommy
    • My partner/wife does the shopping, I dont go.
  2. 2. Items you look for?

• I usually find them
    • when I cant find it, i get a substitute
    • its like a treasure hunt,sometimes its found ,other times nothing
    • I just go without
  3. 3. When you find a hard to obtain item do you?

• buy as many as i can so i wont go without
    • just buy what I need for now, maybe a few extra
    • buy enough for the present
  4. 4. Prices, do you find them?

• about average
    • average but some import items more expensive than back home
    • money is no object

Dave Hounddriver
Posted
Posted

Just for clarification, I always insist on a list but we always manage to go about 300 to 500 pesos over what is on the list. The portions I have gotten used to eating are half the size (no exaggeration) of what I used to eat in Canada and it shows in that my weight is maintaining in the 195 pound area but jumps to over 200 when visiting Canada. I like food that tastes good. Few filipino dishes taste good to me. I don't like picking the bones out of my fish. All filipino fish dishes I have tried have the bones in. I don't like fat, gristle and shreds of bone in my pork or chicken. Filipinos just pick them out.

When I was younger I was a lot pickier in the foods I ate. I would not have enjoyed Philippines. I have some flexibility now but still enjoy the 8K pesos a month of 'comfort food'. My food bill is one reason I cannot comprehend the ones who live here on $800 a month.

• Like 2

Mike S
Posted
Posted

When it comes to bones Dave I'm with you but I found a little trick or rather my asawa did ..... when getting cuts of meat at the market she will tell them NOT to chop it up .... like with chicken she only gets the leg and thigh together .... no chopping .... pork the same way and also beef ... but beef is a little harder to get with no bones so she picks them out after they are cooked (cooks Phil beef in our pressure cooker) ..... for fish they have fillet and boneless fish in SM ..... and the marinated boneless milk fish that is in the frozen fish section near the rice is out of this world (well at least I think so) .... and if I want fresh fish they will fillet it there in SM for you ..... course you pay the cost of the whole fish but to me if I want it it is worth it ..... anyway maybe it will help and maybe not ...... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: ...... just trying to help you save some money ..... :tiphat:

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

I give my girlfriend p500 each week for food and if she does not spend it she can keep it

• Like 1

Mike S
Posted
Posted

I give my girlfriend p500 each week for food and if she does not spend it she can keep it

So I take it you don't have milk and sugar to eat on your generic corn flakes ....... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :tiphat:

• Like 2

i am bob
Posted
Posted

One thing I saw above that surprised me...

Doesn't anyone know how to fillet and dress a fish anymore? One of the first things I learned when I was a little boy... If I wanted to go fishing, I had to know how to prep it for the pan too!

• Like 3

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

So I take it you don't have milk and sugar to eat on your generic corn flakes ....... :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :hystery: :tiphat:

Mike I eat everyday at places like Jolly bee, out the back by the bins see it is cheaper in the Phills if you eat local haha
  • Like 3

Bundy
Posted
Posted
Mike I eat everyday at places like Jolly bee, out the back by the bins see it is cheaper in the Phills if you eat local haha

You haven't been into that "pag pag" again have you? :hystery:

• Like 1

sonjack2847
Posted
Posted

You haven't been into that "pag pag" again have you? :hystery:

Now Now don`t put words into my mouth just leave me half of your burger
  • Like 1

Ashanti
Posted
Posted
Just for clarification, I always insist on a list but we always manage to go about 300 to 500 pesos over what is on the list. The portions I have gotten used to eating are half the size (no exaggeration) of what I used to eat in Canada and it shows in that my weight is maintaining in the 195 pound area but jumps to over 200 when visiting Canada. I like food that tastes good. Few filipino dishes taste good to me. I don't like picking the bones out of my fish. All filipino fish dishes I have tried have the bones in. I don't like fat, gristle and shreds of bone in my pork or chicken.

You do understand, you just don’t want to compromise you’re eating style as you already said, you are a picky eater. You’re eating as if you are still living in the West and western food or foreign food is always expensive. Same as when I and the family go to France for holiday, the children would eat only british food most of the time and they tend to be pricey in france. But if we eat more like the French on our stay in france I find my food bill is lower.

I also find that if I not only make a shopping list but also draw a weekly menu, I find that that i could save a bit. The recipes has to complement each other so I wouldn’t have outrageous ingredients all the time. For example, one recipe asked for a cream, I will try to find another recipe that has cream as an ingredient to I can used the full tub of cream I buy and nothing got wasted. Same principle with the vegetables and meat. As obviously, you draw a 7x days menu – you can add up all the meat veg you need and therefore you will have exact amount of goods to get at the supermarket and nothing get wasted unnecessarily.

I apply the same principle when I do have a dinner party. By writing out a proper menu, I would know exactly how much ingredients I need for the meal. It also helps me to decide to go for a more fancy offering or not as at a glance I would have a fair idea how much it would likely cost me.

• Like 5

Papa Carl
Posted
Posted

About 3,500 pesos a week, usually at SM or Robinsons. We also spend another 2,500 a week at the wet market for meats and fresh vegies.

• Like 2