Your Weekly Or Monthly Spend At The Supermarket ?

the Supermarket   

21 members have voted

1. 1. when you shop do you find it

• Enjoyable
    • An average experience
    • I rather have a root canal
    • I need to ask my mommy
    • My partner/wife does the shopping, I dont go.
  2. 2. Items you look for?

• I usually find them
    • when I cant find it, i get a substitute
    • its like a treasure hunt,sometimes its found ,other times nothing
    • I just go without
  3. 3. When you find a hard to obtain item do you?

• buy as many as i can so i wont go without
    • just buy what I need for now, maybe a few extra
    • buy enough for the present
  4. 4. Prices, do you find them?

• about average
    • average but some import items more expensive than back home
    • money is no object

joeatmanila
Posted
Posted

At Robinsons supermarket we do our usual groceries. Weekly expends for a household of me my wife my 8years old kid and a helper approx 4000p/week.

Plus some extra 5-8000p/month for shrimps-lobsters and t-bones. a total of 20-25k pesos per month for food.

• Like 1

JJReyes
Posted
Posted
Plus some extra 5-8000p/month for shrimps-lobsters and t-bones. a total of 20-25k pesos per month for food.

I am curious if the t-bones are local beef or imported from Australia. My recollection is Philippine cattle go from range to slaughterhouse without passing through a feedlot. The fattening process of using corn and other grains, and the lack of movement makes feedlot cattle meat more tender.  

i am bob
Posted
Posted

I am curious if the t-bones are local beef or imported from Australia. My recollection is Philippine cattle go from range to slaughterhouse without passing through a feedlot. The fattening process of using corn and other grains, and the lack of movement makes feedlot cattle meat more tender.  

That wouldn't be from all the GMO corn and steroids, would it?

:mocking:

• 4 weeks later...
Daydreamer
Posted
Posted (edited)

I'd love to know what someone spends who uses mostly the market...!

My wife shops for the household. She spends 3500 pesos a week and that will feed her and maid and 3 dogs and occasional guests. It also feeds me a bit but I like foreigner food so I spend an additional 8000 pesos a month in any store that I can find developed world goodies like milk, cheese, corn flakes, and the occasional steak. I find food to be my biggest expense. I watch the food receipts and budget very, very carefully because so many others say they can eat so cheap here and I am always wondering why I can't. But then, I have visited friends who have learned to eat the filipino way and I see how they can do it. Lots of rice and veggies and very little meat. When they do get meat it is stuff we would use for bait or dog food back in the world. Sorry to the guys who eat cheap but that's honestly how I see it. I wish I could save money on my food bill but it just ain't gonna happen unsure.png

ps, the wife's grocery budget includes toilet paper, facial tissue, soaps and shampoo so it is not only the edible stuff. Edible stuff only would cause a reduction to 2K to 2500 Pesos per week.

Not married......yet, so grocery bill is quite a bit lower. In fact you might say almost nonexistent (but if I don't leave the Jollibee Aloha burgers alone that won't matter  ) 
Edited by Jollygoodfellow
fixed text in quote

• 2 weeks later...
sam45
Posted
Posted

My wife shops for the household. She spends 3500 pesos a week and that will feed her and maid and 3 dogs and occasional guests. It also feeds me a bit but I like foreigner food so I spend an additional 8000 pesos a month in any store that I can find developed world goodies like milk, cheese, corn flakes, and the occasional steak. I find food to be my biggest expense. I watch the food receipts and budget very, very carefully because so many others say they can eat so cheap here and I am always wondering why I can't. But then, I have visited friends who have learned to eat the filipino way and I see how they can do it. Lots of rice and veggies and very little meat. When they do get meat it is stuff we would use for bait or dog food back in the world. Sorry to the guys who eat cheap but that's honestly how I see it. I wish I could save money on my food bill but it just ain't gonna happen :unsure:

ps, the wife's grocery budget includes toilet paper, facial tissue, soaps and shampoo so it is not only the edible stuff. Edible stuff only would cause a reduction to 2K to 2500 Pesos per week.

Glad to hear 2k cause I eat on $60/month in Florida....maybe why I lost 10/lbs past year.

sam45
Posted
Posted

My wife shops for the household. She spends 3500 pesos a week and that will feed her and maid and 3 dogs and occasional guests. It also feeds me a bit but I like foreigner food so I spend an additional 8000 pesos a month in any store that I can find developed world goodies like milk, cheese, corn flakes, and the occasional steak. I find food to be my biggest expense. I watch the food receipts and budget very, very carefully because so many others say they can eat so cheap here and I am always wondering why I can't. But then, I have visited friends who have learned to eat the filipino way and I see how they can do it. Lots of rice and veggies and very little meat. When they do get meat it is stuff we would use for bait or dog food back in the world. Sorry to the guys who eat cheap but that's honestly how I see it. I wish I could save money on my food bill but it just ain't gonna happen :unsure:

Glad to hear 2k cause I eat on $60/month in Florida....maybe why I lost 10/lbs past year.

Oh...that was per week....guess I will lose more when I get there.

Tukaram (Tim)
Posted
Posted

Some other expats recommended a grocery store here in Iloilo for a variety of foreign food.... Just the Iloilo Supermarket - a local chain.  But the Atrium branch gets enough foreigners to carry our food.

Oh... I can never go back!  Usually grocery shopping is like a treasure hunt but this place was like a bonus level.  They have everything ha ha  I got some Hungarian sausages, salami, olives, lettuce, real cheese!  I spent p2,400 this week.  But I am going to gain 10 pounds this week, I guess.

• Like 4

Mike S
Posted
Posted
Usually grocery shopping is like a treasure hunt

You got that right .... you never know what or where your gonna find stuff you like .... I finally found some horseradish sauce in the main Bobs cafe ... they also have other types of foreigner foods as well as a delicatessen but that is only at the one on Lacson ..... 

By the way the Curry Fantastic Sausages we bought in SM (one of their brands is Fantastic) was excellent (JMHO) and the Italian was really good we sliced some of those and cooked them up with pasta and they would make you slap your mama they were so good .....   :mocking:  :thumbsup: 

:cheersty:

• Like 1

Lordblacknail
Posted
Posted (edited)

We have been here since March 2011 and have never spent less than P20K per month at metro and S&R. The market is extra. And since I don't eat meat, any meat that is bought is for the wife and baby. We buy what we want to eat, and usually try to buy some for the future if they have it in stock. Katie goes thru 5 cases of Alaska milk per month, we eat a lot of cheese, but we seldom go out to eat. Marie makes all of our bread, cakes, pies, scones, cookies and anything else she can think of. We eat Indian at least once a month and Mexican also at least once a month. Homemade pizza usually two or three times a month. We go thru 5 or six cases of soft drinks per month. And with all that, I have lost around 80 pounds since we have been here. Today she made three different kinds of tamales. Two of them were delicious, one had meat in it, so no idea how it tasted.

Edited by Lordblacknail

Medic Mike
Posted
Posted

What is the average amount you spend either weekly or monthly at the Supermarket?

and what store(s) do you usually use?

Mostly use SM Supermarket. P8000-P10000 per month.

Same here :)